iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kinda Weird

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, November 17, 2004, 03:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Not too weird but kinda.

Last sunday I was cleaning out my attic. My father built this house and my famly has lived here since 1960.

When President John Kennedy was killed mom saved papers and such and put them in the attic not knowing that 40 years later they would mostly have been destroyed by time and heat and probably being wrapped in plastic. Only one magazine survived, a copy of Look and I just was getting around to reading it today, today being November 17, 2004. The issue date is November 17,1964.

Not a wozer but kinda weird huh?

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

I like those sort of things. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

A room mate of mine when I was in college went to JFK's inaguration parade.  He brought home a "no parking inaguration parade "  sign with the date on it 8)

He gave it to me when he moved ;D

As for wierd occurances,  My neighbor lady died unexpectedly a couple of days ago.  She had no children,  but did have two dogs that were like kids to her.  One of them curled up on her front step and died yesterday :'(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Furby

That thing is worth some $$$, if it's not in too bad of shape.
I love digging around in anything old. Mostly like old books, papers, magazines, anything with writing on. Gives ya a glimpse in to the way things were.
When we were moving my hmmmm, might be my great, great, aunt, not sure. Anyways I cleaned out a bunch of stuff in the basement and took it home. After going through some of it I showed it to my grandma. Turned out to be letters from when my great, great, aunt was "courting" her future husband. Still have them, even though I don't really know why. ::)

DonE911

If that had happened to me I think I'd play those numbers in the lottery tonight.....  

Weekend_Sawyer

It's not in the greatest of condition but was real neat to look through, the car advertizements are great.

I checked on ebay, there seem to be alot of them and they are going for about $10 each.

I keep meaning to play the lottery. Ya arent supposed to have lottery pipe dreams unless you play. Mine is to purchase all the surrounding area around our cabin in West Virginia.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Murf

I get in waaaay to much trouble for poking around in musty old junk and then dragging it home.

A buddy bought a cabin this past year and I went to help him clean it out, it had been occupied by a hermit for many years, in the sleeping loft, which had not been used for many years, was a big pile of Popular Mechanics, and Popular Science from the 40's & 50's. When he said to toss them, I did, right into the back seat o' my truck.  :D

It's real neat to read through them now, Tom McCahill testing all the NEW cars, some of them are even equipped with those new style brakes, discs not drums.....  :o

I will have to dig them up and make some scans, there are some neat old ads for Foley-Belsaw and stuff.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Buzz-sawyer

Murf
Those old mag are a treasure of project ideas fdor stuff like converting alternator to 120v AC  or making one into a welder.....etc. practical stuff really worth ,"Collecting", eh?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Murf

Waaaay to much good stuff in there.

If ya' manage to get up this way I'll have to bring a few up for ponderin' over while we chew on lunch.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

sawguy21

My dad had a whack of PM, PS, and MI mags in his workshop for years. There were some great projects and I especially enjoyed Tom McCahill and Gus' Garage (I think it was called that). They probably got turfed after he passed away which is a shame.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

neslrite

I have a stack of 1961 Popular Mechanics, it is realy cool to look at the old ads. Some of the futuristic articles are kind of neat, like phones with no wires that will fit in you shirt pocket. :D
Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Tom

that's all balder-dash.  They won't ever build anything like that. :-/

Furby

I have a good size collection of those magazines, with more to go pick up. I love looking through that stuff!!!  8)

Engineer

I used to look through my Dad's stack of PM from the 1930's and 1940's when I was a kid, and try to build some of the stuff in there.

Still got the mags, ain't gonna get rid of them.  They'll be fun to read again in 20 years.

Fla._Deadheader

Lets get back to weird. :o

Since my Bride left us, we have had some REAL strange things going on. The strangest is, the TV will switch channels all by itself.  :o

Tom and DanG both know that I DO NOT use Alcohol.

I have even gone as far as removing the batteries from the remote. Channel might hold for 5 minutes or even 25 minutes. Suddenly, it changes. Sometimes, it scrolls right along from one channel to the next, for maybe 30 channels. Then, it MAY jump right back to the one I was watching. ::) :o

Other things have been happening. I brought the remains home, and set them on top of the Family Bible, a BIG OLD Bible, in the Master Bedroom. I checked to be sure it was stable. 3 days later, my youngest daughter was in the house, alone. She heard glass breaking in the Master Bath  :o She checks, and no glass. Turns to leave and finds the box of remains on the floor. Says she heard her mother say she had joined HER mother and our stillborn grand-daughter, and that all was well. :o She felt a cool breeze, and the house was closed up with all windows and doors closed  :o  Things disappear and then re-appear several days later, right on the kitchen island-counter.  :o  There's more.  :o :o

Anyone wanna try to 'splain this stuff ?????????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Fla._Deadheader

There goes the TV again. I was watchin an old "Clint" movie, and it jumped to "Lifetime". :o :o ??? ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Harold, that "sweet tea" will ferment if you don't keep it in the fridge. ::) ;D :D

As far as things disappearing and reappearing, well, that happens to me all the time.  The object usually reappears right after I have bought a replacement.

I can't explain the cool breezes, but I think I remember you saying something about part of the roof is missing. ???

OK, I jest a bit.  There is "almost" always a logical explanation to things that appear to be supernatural. There have been questions that defy answer, though.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bro. Noble

I have mentioned one of my favorite 'oldtimers'  Elmo a time or two on different threads.  Today I was thinking of Elmo off and on all day long.  This evening Mom called to tell me that Elmo had died and his funeral was today.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Furby

Strange stuff like that has always happened around here.
Even stranger........a lot of it has stopped since we lost grandpa. :o

Buzz-sawyer

Harold
I judge ALL other world occurances by strict criteria..........
I base my judgement on this..
1) Is it bringing PEACE and LOVE
2) Is it disturbing, unsettling
3)Is it a LIGHT experience
4) Is it a dark experience
THere is a whole world going on over our heads, just like fish live in water and we live in air.....the fish probably arent too aware that we are here , let alone what we do on a day to day basis.
I believe our loved ones are at rest with our maker :)

.I do believe in angels and the bad ones also.
I think that there is a lot more that we dont understand than , we do.
make any sense to ya?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

Maybe just a little, Buzz.

Today, I found part of the puzzle. The neighbors had a Dish network installed a little over 2 weeks ago. Their remote control was affecting MY TV channels. ::) ::)  Got that straightened out. No luck with the other stuff, YET.  ??? ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Swede

Fla._Dh. Not using alcohol, perhaps thats why You can see them strange things?  ::)

I have no time to get drunk but try to every morning remember ONE spoon of "Gammeldansk". The last year I´ve forgotten things, even that spoon.  Gammeldansk has a very bitter taste and you need some exercise to like it.

Here´s the mysterium: You can read at the bottle there is 29 different herbs in it. (I belive that because of the taste) Beside that 37% alcohol but  :o.................. how to place 29 herbs BESIDE all that alcohol in a small spoon?  ??? ;D

Crazy as sober I don´t have to drink. Are You a little crazy too, Harold? Sometimes? .....Heh? :D :D :D ;)   :)

Of experience I KNOW there is things we can´t understand and don´t think we have to understand everything.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

SwampDonkey

Excuse me while I laugh at Bro. Noble's avatar. It seems to mutate every so often too. That's a real dodgy turkey ya have there Bro.Noble. That's what I call super naturale :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Swede, If, by now, you don't realize how crazy I really am, you had BETTER start taking 2 spoons of that "Gammeldansk". ;) ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

beenthere

Fla_deadheader
I can't put myself in your shoes, but if my TV started changing channels on its own, and I was missing my bereaved and lovely wife, I would be very concerned and probably easily led to believe in some supernatural happenings.   Especially if the switched TV channel ended up on her favorite program..... :)

Glad to hear you were able to track down the cause of that, which even then, is a bit unusual.

Keep up the good spirit, for all of us.   ;) :D :D
You're a pretty special person (along with several others on this forum).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

etat

My remote for my satellite system will change the channel from anywhere in the house, or out in the yard.  I tried it. ,.  Also it will work on my dad's system cause I carried it over there and tried it once.  As he lives about 3[4 of a mile from me it doesn't cause a problem but I'm sure if we lived really close we could easily mess up each others TV's if we wanted.  Actually that's the first thing that ran through my mind when Fla. said his TV would change channels.

Personally I'm not much on the supernatural, however I do believe the mind has great capabilities to play tricks on a person.  

Like Swede and Fla. I don't do alcohol except maybe the ocassional once in a blue moon beer in the summertime.  Maybe I'm a bit crazy too but I seem to be in good company. :)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

Found out the receiver can be re-programmed to change the code for the remote. No problems after doing that, So far. ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!