iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Myth or fact...

Started by CCC4, October 04, 2016, 07:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Can a Stihl run on Jonsered premix at 50:1?

dougand3

The Jonsered premix is ethanol free 93 octane gasoline and a dollop of 2 cycle oil. It will run in Stihls just fine.
Did your dealer say it wouldn't?
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Ianab

Should be no difference in the fuel and oil for a different brand of saw. They all work the same way.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ZeroJunk

If you use it too often the Stihl will slowly begin to turn red.

joe_indi

Quote from: ZeroJunk on October 05, 2016, 03:19:46 AM
If you use it too often the Stihl will slowly begin to turn red.
:D

HolmenTree

They don't call Jonsered "red" for nothing  :D

I haven't seen the Jonsered canned premix in my neck of the woods but I'm thinking it's probably the same batch as what Husqvarna sells.
Husqvarna mix is semi synthetic and the Stihl can mix is mixed with full synthetic Ultra.
Just my 2 cents what the differences are.......
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Carson-saws

What Ianab said....although depending on the area/environment you are running in....be it very cold or very hot...SOMETIMES the mix matters
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

CCC4

Thanks guys! Here's the deal...I'm running a JRef, my Stihl was on its last leg so it got retired. I quit bringing Stihl mixed gas and just carrying the JRed mix. So my boss still runs Stihl, he asked where the Stihl mix was...I said it shouldn't matter it's a good oil. He filled his tank...half tank later the saw lost compression. Of course I got the...see I told ya so. I figure it was coincidence but it looks a little bad on me.

HolmenTree

Here's the premix we get here probably same stuff you guys get in the US.
Husqvarna is 95 octane with semi synthetic oil
Stihl is 92 octane with full synthetic oil.

CCC4

Im sorry< I should have said I mix my own gas, i was referring to premix as the little mixer bottles. Using JRed brand with 93 octane non ethanol.

Ianab

Well Stihl don't make Oil, they just contract some oil company to mix it up to their specs, and slap a Stihl logo on the bottle.

When I look on the back of the local Stihl branded oil, it's says "Made in NZ by Castrol Oil"

So I buy the Castrol branded oil from the hardware store cheaper. It's the same specs, and I suspect the only difference is the colour of dye. It's even in the same bottle.

You can get into the oil wars about which is technically best. But if it's 2 stroke oil that's the correct specs it shouldn't kill an engine, not in 1/2 a tank anyway.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HolmenTree

Yep Stihl Premium non synthetic 2 stroke mix is made by Castrol here in Canada too. In the Castrol bottle it's called Castrol Super 2 Stroke with the label specifically saying it's formulated for air cooled engines.
Over 40 years I never cheaped out and always supported my dealer. I have a 066 with over 20 years of run time on it and thanks to that Stihl branded oil the cylinder has never been removed and still running strong.

But I've been running Stihl Ultra full synthetic in all my saws for the last 8 years, not so much for added protection for my saws but for my own health.

Reports say the Ultra mix is biodegradable, something I'm in favor of.

Texas-Jim

All of the premix is put in cans at same refinery in la, gas is identical but oil formulas can differ. But any oil in proper mix will run fine.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

coxy

I get mine from wally world  :)

Thank You Sponsors!