iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pallet market

Started by jdw, October 03, 2016, 03:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdw

In my location carter co Kentucky I've noticed 3 new pallet mills in the last year or so. One mills his own lumber and manufactures pallets, the others buy lumber and cants. I started wondering if that is a good market to get into looks like it would be a good outlet for lumber off of ties. Does anyone know about this market? Would it be a good idea to manufacture pallets and sell them as compared to just selling the lumber to the pallet mills? Also any ideas on where one would market pallets?

Ron Wenrich

If they're using automatic nailers, double end trimmers, gang rips and the like, you won't be able to compete in the standard market.  You may be able to find some in the specialty market that would pay, but it would take some digging around to find the market.  Generally, it is guys that make equipment that need a pallet to certain specs.  You would need to make a good quality pallet.

We sold 3x4 blocking to some concrete plants - had to be tulip poplar due to staining from the oak. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

killamplanes

I would say a niche markets or somethin sized very specific to what's getting shipped. To just feed the standard pallets market would take a high production, with low labor cost. I do pallets and honestly I have found it to be a labor thing not so much wood thing.  And laborers in the pallet industry can be tuff. It's been good for me but I just got into since june.  But I do it for one company an odd ball pallet size. And there of course is a downfall, all eggs in 1 basket. But I already owned most the equipment, and I have 2 pretty good pallet assemblers that make it all happen.  But it's to costly to play with, your either in full bore or out. My 2c, and small experience...
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

killamplanes

Why I say it's not a wood thing is because of the availability of pallet stock. Most mills have a byproduct of pallet stock. And unless u want to get into a high production situation. Then it's very competitive to by pallet stock to run your assembly.  I personally have a mill but I think I'm not ahead alot, but there's transportation and quality control, and timeliness. 
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Thank You Sponsors!