iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Circle mill adventures

Started by mad murdock, October 03, 2016, 03:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

Well, If things work out as I am hoping, I may be ordering a turbosaw M6 or M8 with the slabbing adapter to use the MKIII Granberg Alaskan with it.  I need the portability of the smaller mill, with the capability of large log diameters.  I will report back as this progresses. I have had my eye on the warrior for a few years, and so glad to see them coming to the states now.  I like the narrow kerf and the pretty impressive tech that has gone into the blades.  quick to sharpen, and with the slabber, will be the ultimate setup for my treefarm and needs that I have.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mad murdock

It will be some weeks to arrive from kiwi land, but worth the wait. I think I will be able to power with my 075, which will be saweet! 8)!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ox

So you ordered it?  Bet that'll be a long wait... :laugh:
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

mad murdock

Not yet! Still have to zero in on the exact fit for my scenario. I will get a couple key tech questions answered by Mike at Turbosaw and I am still about 2 weeks out with money. I will be ordering before the end of this month, maybe by my b-day 8) t'would be a nice present for myself!

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

mad murdock

Well, I have done contemplated and ponied up for the turbo sawmill warrior ultra lightweight M6. I will be powering with my 075. Mike at TSMUSA was great at "splianin' me the ins and outs as well as going over planning use age to be sure it would do what I wanted the best for my scenario. I need the extreme mobility this saw will provide, just think of the extreme capability of a CSM at milling speeds faster than a BSM coupled with no limit on log size as well as the capability to not have to rotate the log whilst milling and you begin to draw a mental picture of what this saw can do. Add the Alaskan slabber carriage and single point sizing along with a couple extensions and this will be one Skookum setup! My plan is to go after high value cvg Douglas fir(OG) which is plentiful just hard to get to a mill, so I will take the mill to the trees and if needed will couple this capability with helicopters for as close to zero impact extraction as can be had this will allow access to some real good specimens on my tree farm and now my neighbor hAs shown me his 160 acres and some nice wrc, alder, maple, and Doug fir as well as some large madrone. I know madrone can be real twisty, but I think if milled to 4/4 or 5/4 in rw&l woodworkers will go for it. There are a lot of folks in these parts looking for non typical wood to include in projects and you can't find some species in board form anywhere.  To say I am excited is an undertatement!  I even PMed Jake@turbosawmills and he gave me some great points on the mill I ordered. Max single dimension can't with the M6 will be 12"x6"x 20' with the extensions, but that will be great for my needs. With my granberg Alaskan already in hand and being able to use it on the Turbosaw I will have all the options covered. The mill will come with the sharpener and all accoutrements to mill for quite a while, me thinks!  I will get pics when I go to Spokane to retrieve it. Now to build a rack on my truck for the beam!

Rando

Haven't used my Turbosaw all that much but what time I have spent using it it's been great.
Jake has always been more than helpful. He even flew over and spent a couple days setting the mill up and showing me the ins and outs of the mill.
As a matter of fact, think I'll head up to the mill now and get a couple logs ready to go.
Enjoy it!

mad murdock

I thought s change to the title of the thread was appropriate 8) when the mill hits the states I will be the "Wells Fargo wagon" and pick it up in Spokane!! :new_year: Christmas will be a bit early for me this year!!

tnaz

Good for ya; and have fun. 8) 8)
Now the waiting!!!! :D

Terry

xlogger

Did you get your mill yet? I like the looks of the unit.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

mad murdock

Quote from: xlogger on December 04, 2016, 08:06:38 AM
Did you get your mill yet? I like the looks of the unit.
Negatory on grtting The mill yet, still in waiting. I think it hit the water a week ago or so. Should be here by Christmas time. I will be out of country thru the 4th of Jan. Heading to old Mexico for a few weeks.  I will pick it up when I get back. Got lots of things lined up.  8) 8) :new_year:

xlogger

I'm pretty sure I'll try to find some money around this week and go ahead myself and order the M6 slabber with the 13 hp Honda from Jake also. I might have to open up a go fund me account :D
Jake said he would get it out to me before Christmas, so maybe I'll have it later in Jan.

The older I get the younger I think that I am.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

DMcCoy

Congrats Murdock!  That old fir smells good when you cut it too.
Quote from: xlogger on December 11, 2016, 05:27:44 AM
The older I get the younger I think that I am.
Me too, whats up with that?

mad murdock

thanks on the congratulatory remarks.  Mill still hasn't arrived at freight forwarder HQ in PDX.  Should be this week.  There have been a lot of goof ups on part of the freight company.  Getting ironed out, hopefully less than a week away now! Good thing is the weather is getting better now.   8)

mad murdock

I picked up the mill (most of it) today, I shall get some pics up tomorrow afternoon, I think I am missing one piece of the puzzle.  Freight forwarder shipped it to the wrong place, should be in my hands within a couple days 8) Hope to be making chips sometime next weekend! 8) 8)

Darrel

Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

mad murdock

Well, pics to follow this weekend hopefully. I finally got all the pieces for the mill. The freight forwarder had erroneously sent one of the pieces of my mill shipment to Kansas City so it took a couple weeks to get it redirected back to me. Overall it looks very well put together. I can't wait to start making chips! 8)

NZJake

That's great news they finally got it out to you. Please email me on jake@turbosawmill.co.nz I would be happy to work with you step by step in getting the mill setup for the first time. Also pop me an email if you need to discuss anything, sometimes a phone call helps speed up the process.

Cheers.
Jake.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

mad murdock

Thanks Jake!  I did not get a chance to finish assembly this weekend. Work called me away. 

Proof I was away from home. Had to go to forks wa to work on a helicopter.

mad murdock

Well, a bit late but better than never, as promised, pics of the assembly process 

The ultralight weight warrior M6 mostly assembled. I still have to
Put the power unit on and mount the blade. I also have an extension and slabber mount for the Alaskan that are not in the pic. Should have it into some logs the weekend after next!! Will have some action shots soon 8)

quilbilly

A sunny day in forks count yourself lucky. Were you working on one for a heli logging Job or something else? My fam used to live out there. It's nothing now like it was in the glory days.
a man is strongest on his knees

xlogger

I got my mill deliver yesterday, work on "trying" to get the two beams together for a few minutes with no luck. Didn't have much time to work on it, maybe get some time today if not raining much. At least if looks like I got all my mill at one time.

NZJake

Hi Xlogger,

I sent you an assembly video link showing you step by step assembly of the frame and process to put those two beams together.

Cheers.
Jake.
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

mad murdock

Quote from: quilbilly on February 15, 2017, 12:01:37 AM
A sunny day in forks count yourself lucky. Were you working on one for a heli logging Job or something else? My fam used to live out there. It's nothing now like it was in the glory days.
Fertilizing up there for Rayoneer.  Sure is a lot of nice timber up that way!

quilbilly

It's ok, all the OG is locked up. It's amazing what they can produce in the crappy reprod. Some of the crews around here will travel out there for work and they tell me the timber keeps getting worse. Moving to 40-50 year rotations and what not. Still some really nice wood down in SE WA and on the state property.
a man is strongest on his knees

mad murdock

well, still not throwing chips or making boards  :-[ The 075 power option is being taken off the table. After dithering with it for many hours, I ordered a new powerhead (395XP).  The 075 is just not going to work as a "daily driver".  Too cantankerous and too hard to get parts for.  I should have done this a long time ago, but have come to the realization now.  the 395XP with a dual port muffler will be a good alternate, as it will produce a bit more power than the 075 would have. I will update with pics as soon as I get it in some wood,  Hopefully this saturday afternoon 8)

mad murdock

Finally got the mill going!   Been a bit of a journey, but the delays were of my own making.  Thinking I could use an old power head (075) was the major slow down, I finally relented and bought a 395XP, with the dual port muffler I have on it, it is a cutting beast!  4" passes in red alder was "like buttah" 8) many thanks to Jake at Turbowsawmill and Mike at TSMUSA! Extremely solid support from these guys, got a few tune up pointers and the next outing will yield much more pics and maybe a vid or 2!  Very impressed with this mill!!!!! Can not believe the trueness in the cut and the speed! Straight as an arrow and lightning fast!

plantman

Quote from: mad murdock on March 26, 2017, 12:18:52 PM

Finally got the mill going!   Been a bit of a journey, but the delays were of my own making.  Thinking I could use an old power head (075) was the major slow down, I finally relented and bought a 395XP, with the dual port muffler I have on it, it is a cutting beast!  4" passes in red alder was "like buttah" 8) many thanks to Jake at Turbowsawmill and Mike at TSMUSA! Extremely solid support from these guys, got a few tune up pointers and the next outing will yield much more pics and maybe a vid or 2!  Very impressed with this mill!!!!! Can not believe the trueness in the cut and the speed! Straight as an arrow and lightning fast!

Mad M, I've seen videos of the chainsaw powered Turbo sawmill but when I went to their site I didn't see it listed. Are they still selling this version ?

mad murdock

They still make the M6 chainsaw version but promote more the M6/M8 Honda powered models, as they have automatic functions and are not as "spartan". You just have to call Mike or PM Jake at Turbosawmill.  I think the chainsaw powered version offers a lot of versatility in my case, more so than any other, which is why I opted for that one. Nothing but good things can he said about the mill or the support!  Been awesome on all counts!

plantman

Quote from: mad murdock on April 01, 2017, 09:31:41 AM
They still make the M6 chainsaw version but promote more the M6/M8 Honda powered models, as they have automatic functions and are not as "spartan". You just have to call Mike or PM Jake at Turbosawmill.  I think the chainsaw powered version offers a lot of versatility in my case, more so than any other, which is why I opted for that one. Nothing but good things can he said about the mill or the support!  Been awesome on all counts!

I talked with Mike at length about their mills and I'm really impressed. With that said, I still ask myself if I couldn't just learn to weld and build my own mill ? I'm also looking at the Lucas mill which is priced a bit cheaper . It looks like the setup time with the turbo saw is very minimal so that's nice.

Thank You Sponsors!