iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Attn Detroit powered skidder owners

Started by Spartan, October 02, 2016, 08:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

What's your no load rpm set at?

In the process of pulling my engine and reinstalling it I set mine at 2750.  Mines a 453N motor.
It has been running it at 2650 since I got it.  But was reading that max HP on that motor is at 2800.  I'm afraid to really crank it up if it has been running at that rpm its whole life.

Has anyone run at different rpm and noticed any differences power wise?  Lowest mine would drop pulling a hitch was about 2500.

coxy

Spartan

I actually don't know.  I've had the valve cover off twice and never looked.  Why do you ask?  I am supposing the n45's run out of steam at higher rpm?

My manual says, 136hp at 2800rpm for this model.  Who knows what has happened in 40 years though, if it is the same engine or injector configuration.

treeslayer2003

my 453 is set to 2810 no load. don't be afraid to stomp on her. think about it, most engines bigger than that will turn close to that speed, it just sounds like its screaming cuz its two stroke. twice as many bangs per crank revolution. you will be much happier with your clark now!

treeslayer2003

further, if your rack was set to full fuel, then yeah she was holding that 2500 well. it will be a little snapier now. don't be afraid of that extra couple hundred rpm.

Spartan

treeslayer2003

yes sir. are doing the setting or ya got a guy?

treeslayer2003

oh, and it ain't been running that rpm its whole life. wear in the linkage and what not causes detune.

Spartan

No, I reset it myself when I had the body panels off.
So, its just set at the 2750 right now.
I checked exhaust valve clearance last time the valve cover was off.  Runs like a top so I did not worry about the rack at this point.

danbuendgen

People "turn" them up a little bit for more power and don't have any issues. Mine was done by the local TimberJack mechanic years before I got it and it seems to be holding up well. The rpm max is set at 3200 and they set the rail and pump for more fuel.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

lumberjack48

The last time i had my 353 rebuild in the S8 IH power shift i had. I told him to get every hp he could get out of the 353. When i picked up the IH he had a big smile, he said, she's got the power now, its set at 3200 rpm, running around 110 hp. I'll tell you it was a different machine, talk about fun to skid with. I ran a straight pipe on it, it sounded like a model airplane going back an forth in the woods. Everybody that heard it said that it wouldn't last a month. We ran it 7 year's before i sold it, and it was still running good.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Spartan

Good to hear.

I settled on 2800.  She won't pull a heavy drag uphill at more than 2600 anyways.  And I spend most of my time on steep stuff.  It is a different machine.  I think it really allows the converter to hook up better.
One thing that was messed up on my machine also from the get go, although I am ashamed to admit (but admitting it may help someone out) the idle was a bit high. probably 650 or a bit higher.  Specs for the machine call for 500-600 so I set it at 575. Here's what it did.  I was consistently having trouble getting an accurate reading for the trans oil level.  When I set the idle lower, I realized I was running my transmission way over full.  Reducing the amount of oil in the trans was probably a larger gain than the rpm boost.  Now she's not so sluggish just off idle.  Everything is smoother and crisper.  The things we overlook.
After I set the governor higher the first time I just ran it, the idle was close to 700.  I could pour oil in the trans and it would just disappear.  Oh well, I'm not too proud to learn new things or admit that I didn't know something.  so maybe in the future it will help someone out.

Thanks guys.

Thank You Sponsors!