iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Giant walnut burl.

Started by RayMO, October 02, 2016, 07:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayMO

May be able to market this one .Have several interested and a list of prospective buyers to contact.

Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

CCC4

Good find RayMo! How ya been? Havent seen ya much, hope all is well!

RayMO

Been doing fine Thank You. I have been working a lot and also working on equipment.
I am the little guy pictured and the big guy is my cutter for the past year plus .
With 6 grandkids and 4 more adopted grandkids not a lot of free time but that is OK .

CCC4

I hear that Sir, sounds like you have your hands full! Good to hear from ya and thanks for sharing those pics! I would love to see one on my strip one day. Stay safe Sir!!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OH logger

that's impressive! I had one about that big on a white oak I bought but sold it on the log. couldn't find a buyer. I kinda suspect it had some problems though :(. that's a nice find on  a  big walnut! is it just me or is that skidder grapple a big un?
john

bigblue12v

Wow what a burl! I've been eyeballing one that is on the edge of a field the top of the tree is broken out of it and gone, I'm afraid what the inside of the trunk is like. I wanna find the owner and rescue it but I'm not sure of the value. He's obviously gonna let it rot but is it really worth my while, it's on the side of a highway (not overly busy one) and next to a ditch. I imagine I would use my knuckleboom crane to hold it while I cut it so it doesn't land in the ditch or road or bust. It's a good size burl probably close to Beach ball size. I've heard prices all over the place but none seem reliable and consistent.
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

RayMO

Burls are a strange market and I think the buyers like it that way lol.

Okrafarmer

I saw one yesterday about that size on a red oak-- the whole root system, above and below ground seemed to be involved. I was drooling at it, but didn't want the land owner to know what I was thinking. I may possibly end up logging that parcel, we'll see.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Goodness Gracious!!!!!  That thing will be very valuable. 

(Admin note:  Topics merged.  Please do not post the same thread in more than one Board).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

I am thinking the whole thing will bring a pretty penny.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Raym

good gravey....I just peed myself
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Brian C.

Walnut and a burl! Wow. I think I see $$$$$$$$. Great Catch.

ozarkgem

Quote from: drobertson on October 03, 2016, 08:38:27 AM
I am thinking the whole thing will bring a pretty penny.
I think so. Its only about 6 miles from my house. I have never seen a Walnut burl here.
When do you go for your surgery?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

scully

I just built 100 things out of that in my head
I bleed orange  .

bigblue12v

It may be junk inside I have no clue...
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

tmbrcruiser

I thought this red oak burl was large until I saw your walnut burl. Great find congratulations.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

scully

Cummon man don't leave us hangin !
I bleed orange  .

qbilder

There are generally two types of burl figure. The stuff with lots of eyes & swirls, and the stuff that's just curved grain from being a bulge on the side of a tree. The "eye" burls are what buyers want & will pay big money for. The other stuff isn't worthless, but isn't nearly as valuable & desirable as the eye burls. Hopefully you have the good stuff! 
God bless our troops

Okrafarmer

Quote from: qbilder on October 10, 2016, 08:42:14 PM
There are generally two types of burl figure. The stuff with lots of eyes & swirls, and the stuff that's just curved grain from being a bulge on the side of a tree. The "eye" burls are what buyers want & will pay big money for. The other stuff isn't worthless, but isn't nearly as valuable & desirable as the eye burls. Hopefully you have the good stuff!

Yeah, those are the ones I call monkey faces.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

qbilder

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 10, 2016, 11:31:43 PMYeah, those are the ones I call monkey faces.  ;D

:D Yup that's about what the figure looks like
God bless our troops

Thank You Sponsors!