iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawyer

Started by NBSawyer1, October 01, 2016, 09:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NBSawyer1

Well here goes... I am as green to operating a sawmill as it gets. I have helped an operator a few times, that I hired to cut lumber for me.
Since the initial day around a mill, I had been bitten by the wood bug. And have been searching for the "right mill for me" ever since. And have finally found "the one"!!
I have owned a sawmill for officially 24hrs now.
I couldn't wait to get it home, set it up and test it out. (the person I bought it from only used it a couple times and couldn't really give me much instruction on it other where the controls were). I got it home set it up (MD on a trailer). It took a whole 20 minutes, I was impressed for a first time.
We had 1 - 8' fir log with quite a crook in it, we put it up on the mill locked it into position and started cutting. And within about 10 minutes managed to whittle out 2 good 4"x4"x8' before darkness took over. I was ecstatic, like a kid on Christmas day!
Due to other obligations we didn't have much time on the mill today other than to look it over and get familiar with some of the controls. We plan on cutting some timber tomorrow and do some more cutting :-)
The board return is the only thing that I have noticed not working. It is there, but standing straight up. It looks like there was a cable attached to it but the cables is broken. How does the board return work and what does it connect to that triggers it into position to return the cut lumber? Thanks in advance!
Mobile Dimension 128 on trailer. Set up for 24' cut. With extra 6' of track for a total cut length of 30'. STIHL MS290. 300 Kawasaki 4x4 with b-train log haulers and a manual hydraulic boom.

Finally took the leap... into a pile of sawdust! :-)

Seavee

Congratulations  on the new mill. Go ahead and add the make of your mill to your signature to help in any further questions you may have. BTW welcome to the forum.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

tnaz

Another new to you mill owner.  Congrats on the mill and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
As Seavee asked, add as much as you can about your mill, and pictures are really nice.

Terry

Okrafarmer

In case you missed it, I believe the MD he mentioned stands for Mobile Dimension.  ;D

Welcome to the Forum, NBSawyer1 ! As a former next-door neighbor from Maine, I know your terrain.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

sandsawmill14

welcome to the forum and congrats on the new mill :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, NBSawyer1.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

NBSawyer1,welcome to the forum.
I have only seen one of those MD in person. And that was at a show. Quite interesting to see the lumber come off that mill.
Those MD owners on the FF are just about like the Thomas mills. Not many have one of that kind.
What's all the lumber going to be used for.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

NBSawyer1

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. The mill is a Mobile Dimension model 128 (not sure of the year) on a trailer and set up to cut 24', with another 6' section that can be added for a total cut length of 30'.

What to do with the lumber? that's very open at the moment, my brother and I went in on the mill together we plan on doing some projects around our properties (garages) to get familiar with the mill. And put the feelers out to see what the local interest would be to hire it / us out. We wanted a portable mill with quick set up time and fast cutting capabilities.

This mill seems to have nailed just what we were waiting for... been looking for about 4 years for the right mill at the right price. Patience seems to have paid off!!

I will add the mill info to my profile :-)

Excited to be part of the forum!!

Mobile Dimension 128 on trailer. Set up for 24' cut. With extra 6' of track for a total cut length of 30'. STIHL MS290. 300 Kawasaki 4x4 with b-train log haulers and a manual hydraulic boom.

Savannahdan

Welcome to FF NBSawyer1. It's a great place to get information about sawmills and other things.  I check in on the discussions a few times each day. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

tnaz

Sounds like a all around good deal for y'all. 8)  I/we like looking at pictures if you get a chance.

Have fun with it , I hope to run across something soon.

47sawdust

You certainly started out with an excellent mill.With good logs you will be buried in framing lumber and sheathing boards before you know it.
Good for you and your bro.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

21incher

Congratulations on the new mill and welcome to the Forestry Forum :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

NBSawyer1

We run a few logs through the mill today.. (I'm going to make an attempt at attaching some pics). It definitely has a learning curve and will take some practice. Managed to get a few good 4"x4" which we are using to help load the logs into the mill and we got some 1" boards. It was an exciting afternoon to say the least :-)

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy your mill.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Okrafarmer

Nice pictures, NB! I like small-blade circle mills. . . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mrselfreliance

Very nice!  What part of NB are you in?  I've been putting aside some big lumber.  Could work out if your close to Bathurst.

Brian C.

Welcome aboard! The information here will astound you. These guys know and are awesome at passing it along. Enjoy!

OffGrid973

Welcome aboard and good luck.  Once that thing is firing on all cylinders throw a video on the YouTube, would love to see it in action.

When you hit a spike or nail with that thing I assume there is some kind of fireworks show, wear safety glasses and keep anything out of throwing range.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

NBSawyer1

Thanks everyone, we like it. We will like it a lot more once we get the bugs worked out of it and the bugs worked out of us... lol

mrselfreliance, we are at the south end of the province. would have been nice to hook up and throw some sawdust :-)

cwimer973, haven't hit anything as of yet.. i'm sure it's inevitable at some point. Seeing as we are cutting timber on an old farmstead it will most likely be a piece of cow fencing...

Does anyone know if the shank holders in blades can be repaired to hold the shank tighter? We have one that is quite loose. I could weld it up with MIG and take a die grinder to clean it up to fit the shank. But i'm not sure if it will warp the blade or ruin it by taking the temper out of it.

And does anyone know how the board return mechanism is supposed to work? It is not connected to anything other than its pivot point... It was tied up, we untied it but it kept catching on the leading edge of the log. So we tied it back up.

I have emailed mobile mfg for some pricing on parts and inquire about an operators manual... hoping to hear from them soon :-)

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. My wife happens to be from Fredericton.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

5quarter

Congrats on your new mill and welcome! PM member DanG, I think he has the same saw and would be glad to answer any questions about it.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!