iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fresh off the CSM end sealer home made?

Started by DirtKrazy, September 30, 2016, 11:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtKrazy

Hey I have heard of people using 50/50 mix of glue and water. For sealing the ends of lumber.
Has anyone used this method? Or should I just buy a can of end sealer?
Cut WOOD! What more needs to be said!

fishfighter

Kbeitz

If glue works you can save your self some money and buy a 50 gal  of starch.
I worked in a textile factory and we could buy the drums cheap.
We found out it was the same stuff as white wood glue.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

DirtKrazy,welcome to the forum.
What are you using the lumber for.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DirtKrazy

I will have to try old paint. Sounds like a good way to mark different lumber for different jobs.

Right now I am cuttimg and going to make nice projects around the house.

Brucer

Enamel paint will work (but it might not stick if the wood is too green). Latex paint won't work -- it won't seal the wood.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

DirtKrazy

DirtKrazy

So then I need to use something with an oil base. 8)

Ox

I remember reading something about cheap homebuilt RV trailers for camping and such.  People were using plywood covered in bed sheets (canvas) which was painted over with a mix of water and wood glue, 50/50.  It was waterproof for many years afterwards.  It could also be painted.  If the wood glue and water mix is waterproof I would think it would work fine for sealing the ends of logs. 
5 gallon pail of starch I found for $80.  Do you mix it with water?  I don't know.                                                                       5 gallon pail of original Titebond wood glue is $67 at Home Depot.  Double it for mixing 50/50 which isn't too bad if it works.
The only thing I've ever sealed was the huge black cherry slabs I did last year.  Just sprayed on several heavy coats of brown spray paint.  Seems to have done the job for the most part.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

hopm

DirtKrazy

I have used latex now on my first few boards. Going to try enamel and see the difference. I can always find cheap cans of enamel paint stores are getting rid of. Thanks! 8)

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on October 01, 2016, 10:11:42 PM
I remember reading something about cheap homebuilt RV trailers for camping and such.  People were using plywood covered in bed sheets (canvas) which was painted over with a mix of water and wood glue, 50/50.  It was waterproof for many years afterwards.  It could also be painted.  If the wood glue and water mix is waterproof I would think it would work fine for sealing the ends of logs. 
5 gallon pail of starch I found for $80.  Do you mix it with water?  I don't know.                                                                       5 gallon pail of original Titebond wood glue is $67 at Home Depot.  Double it for mixing 50/50 which isn't too bad if it works.
The only thing I've ever sealed was the huge black cherry slabs I did last year.  Just sprayed on several heavy coats of brown spray paint.  Seems to have done the job for the most part.

I don't remember where we got it but here is 45 lb drum for $89.00

http://www.nortonsupply.com/diamond-deluxe-starch-45-lb-drum

US $500 - 800  for 25 metric tones.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Trade-Assurance-Industrial-Cationic-Corn-Starch_60199270689.html

This looks like the stuff we used...

https://corporate.faultless.com/liquid_starch_and_sizing.php

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

I used Kilz stain blocker in latex and oil. Didn't see any difference and both worked great.

Oh, I also used paints that I got cheap that were mixed that didn't match the color that people wanted. I pay $3-$4 for a gallon. Check paint stores. ;D

DirtKrazy

Czech_Made

For wood I really care for I use melted candle wax.

Delawhere Jack

Paint works, but it makes it hard to see that growth rings when you get the log on the mill. I had a client that used paraffin wax melted down and thinned with mineral spirits. Sealed well, and I could see the growth rings. Had another one that used spray can shellac.

DirtKrazy

Brucer

To be effective and end-sealer has to prevent water vapour from escaping from the log. Oil-based paints and wax emulsions do this very well. Most latex paints do not.

The best way to find out if a paint will do the job is to find out if it is approved for use as a vapour barrier in house construction. If it isn't, it's not suitable for sealing logs.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Carolinatree

shelbycharger400

Ive been using behr green and silver can  enamel basemaker from home depot.  Stright out of the can, its equiv of 5-6 coats of urethane. Its thick!.   i paint it on high figure as well, and it slows the drying and  checking  issues on walnut and cherry

Brad_bb

If your reason for deviating from Anchor Seal is that you don't want to buy 5 gallons, that it is more than you need, Rockler does sell gallons and quarts of end grain sealer which I'm almost certain IS Anchorseal repackaged smaller.  I wouldn't mess around with anything but Anchorseal.  Glue would be such a mess.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Brad_bb on November 19, 2016, 02:55:21 PM
If your reason for deviating from Anchor Seal is that you don't want to buy 5 gallons, that it is more than you need, Rockler does sell gallons and quarts of end grain sealer which I'm almost certain IS Anchorseal repackaged smaller.  I wouldn't mess around with anything but Anchorseal.  Glue would be such a mess.

Glue and industrial starch is the same thing...
industrial starch is very cheap in 55 gal barrows...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 02, 2016, 06:51:36 AM
This looks like the stuff we used...

https://corporate.faultless.com/liquid_starch_and_sizing.php
Hey Kbeitz, did the faulltless liquid starch work in place of the Anchorseal?  Looking for an end sealer but can't justify the cost of Anchorseal at this time. 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Kbeitz

It worked. You just got to use it up when you make it or it gets hard in the can.
The cheapest way I found is miss matched latex paint. Some stores will give it
to you just to get rid if it...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!