iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CSM, saw size and bar size output per hour?

Started by DirtKrazy, September 30, 2016, 10:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtKrazy

So I am very new to CSM.
I literally just cut my first 30 bf today.
I have always loved going out and cutting firewood. I also enjoy building wood projects at home. I hate the price mostly the quality of wood at the stores.
So here I am learning the ropes. My idea is to learn with CSM then move up to BSM we have property and one day hope to move to it and build our home using only the wood we mill.
So I always here people saying they get faster cutting with bigger saws and ripping chain. What I would like to know is,
what your using for saw and chain? If you went for 1 hr how far could you get?remember I am interested in quality not quantity.
Just wondering what to expect from diffrent setups on CSM's?
Thanks keep cutting! 8)
Cut WOOD! What more needs to be said!

tnaz

Can't help with the question but, welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Always good help/answers here.

Good luck,

Terry

Ox

It's been many years since I used a CSM but I think I was able to get around 6 - 2x6x14 boards in an hour or so.  This was using a Stihl 034 Super AV with a 28" bar and ripping chain.  I remember thinking I used a lot of gas/oil when milling.  I would not want to build a house using a CSM.  It was loud, slow, hard, dusty work and used up a chainsaw quick.  It made perfect lumber when allowed to scream and produce powder sawdust.  When pushed harder and allowed to work the engine and actually produce very small chips for sawdust it would leave big ridges and marks in the lumber.  I hated it and got a bandmill ASAP.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

DirtKrazy

Thanks. I do plan on going to a portable BSM on wheels. With our property it would make it easier. I just want to try the CSM then go from there. Thanks again!

PineHill4488

Stihl MS 660 with 36" bar, crosscut chain sharpened to 10 degrees, 36" Grandberg MK III.

I can cut 5-2x16x8 in an hour.
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

DirtKrazy

Now that is the exact saw and bar I want to put on my Granberg MK III. Thats good to know nice! 8)

DirtKrazy

Pinehill4488
have you used oregons ripping chain?

5quarter

CSMs are great for breaking down really big logs, cutting beams and making wide slabs, but they are terrible at making lumber. I would probably get the band saw mill sooner rather than later, unless you've got a strong back and more time than $$. A friend of mine has a set up similar to pine hill, except he runs a 60" bar and only cuts slabs. When he needs actual lumber, he just buys it from me ;) :)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

DirtKrazy

I am going to go with BSM eventually but need more $$$ till then this is what I have.

longtime lurker

Everything depends on the logs.

There's no way to make enough lumber per hour with a CSM for it to make money unless you're getting some really special timber off it. Think wide slabs off logs the portable bandmill guys can't handle, or high value species in places only a CSM can get to.

But for everything else it ain't worth more just because you had to work harder.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

PineHill4488

I agree with the above posts.

In defense of CSM's, they get a person into milling for far less initial investment and lets one decide how deep they go into a sawdust addiction.

I would not consider it an upgrade to a BSM, they are different tools with some overlap in purpose, each has their place. If used in support of each other a weekend warrior could really get their sawdust dose to last the workweek.

DK, I have not used ripping chain, when I bought the saw, I had local shop prepare three chains to go with the longer bar and two extra chains for the standard issue bar. When the chains are no longer viable, I will investigate the brands of ripping chains available.
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

mad murdock

Welcome DirtKrazy, I have used a CSM quite a bit. I love the versatility of the CSM.  I have an Alaskan MK III, and I had a Logosol Timberjigg, I have for the last few years used my Bumblebee sawmill built by Woodland MFG (no longer in business), in the 80's and 90's in Idaho.  It works well, and was a deal at the price I paid.  The biggest factor in milling with a chainsaw besides CC's which 70 is a minium, IMO, is matching the chain or the way it is sharpened to the task. I have used std full house chain filed at 0-10 deg top plate angle, which works well. I have used Oregon's ripping chain, which works well, but the best combination for my milling has been .050" bar and chain setup using Stihl's 63PMX ripping chain.  1/4" kerf and thus less HP required to pull through the wood, and faster feed rate than any other chain.  Nice smooth finish, smoother than a band mill, IMO, and a lot nicer to use all around. I run a 32" bar/chain on my Husky 372 XPW, and it does well.  I don't slab wide, if I did on a regular basis, I would go with a 90cc or larger saw. It isn't as fast as a BSM, but it is a lot cheaper, and if you are not looking to get into production to sell lumber will do you well for a long time. Another thing that can really speed production with an Alaskan type setup, is to have 2 saws, one with the MkIII and the other one, (~60cc) with the mini mill setup for edging. Before I got the Bumblebee mill, I did this with both the Timberjigg and the MkIII and wow it really sped up my milling production, not to mention spreading the work over 2 saws, vs one, giving a saw a break once in a while.  Have fun and work safe.  There is a book by Will Maloff which if you can thumb through that, will give you lots of good information on methodology with a CSM to make the work go as quick as it can with a CSM. Also the forum search tool will yield good results there is a lot of posts on here under different aspects regarding a CSM.  Good luck
8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

DirtKrazy

Thanks mad murdock. I really appreciate all the info. Its great to talk to different people about different set ups. I do plan on going to BSM in the future but I do enjoy ripping through a log and looking at the slab that I have produced. I guess I just love the outdoors. THANKS AGAIN. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!