iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planer Injury

Started by lowpolyjoe, September 29, 2016, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Today I learned the hard way why you're not supposed to send short boards through a planer.   :-\

I'm making a jewelry box and had the sides all cut to size but wanted them a bit thinner.  I started feeding them through in a row, all front-to-back.  When the third piece went in, one of the smaller pieces in front of it must have ended up under the cutter head and out from beneath the feeder rollers.   Something kicked back like a gunshot.  Luckily, the way my planar is setup, I stand to the side of it, not behind it.  The kickback hit my thumb, creating a half-moon looking puncture and an immediate bruise under the nail. 

Hurt like crazy and then I sorta lost feeling in the thumb.  It's been about 8 hours and now it's really starting to throb. 

I count myself lucky - if I was standing in front of the infeed instead of at the side I would have taken it to the chest or stomach or maybe even the face.  That being said, it's still aggravating because it's gonna be tough to get any work done with a bum thumb. 

It's funny, I was debating hand planing the pieces or running them through the machine and I figured I'd just save some time and run em through my Dewalt.    :(

21incher

Glad to hear you made out ok. Those dang machines are always waiting for us to slip up so they can attack with flying projectiles. Put some ice on it, drink 6 beers and It will feel better in the morning. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Dan_Shade

I'm glad that you were not hurt worse than you were.

The same thing can happen when planing end grain.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DDW_OR

that is why it is called "lessons in hard knocks" we have all done something similar on other machines.
hope nothing is broken.

always plane the long board, then cut to length.
"let the machines do the work"

red

Always good to come home with Ten Fingers and Ten Toes
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Den Socling

When I first had our planer, I ran through a short board that got stuck. I went to the outfeed to pull it. Somehow, the board got slammed down pinning my hands on the table. I had a heck of a time getting out of that mess. We put a magnetic starter on the planer with a foot switch on the floor. Nobody has ever needed it but you can stomp the switch with your foot and kill the machine.
One time I was working on kiln controllers at a big commercial mill. A saw kicked back a board and the operator caught it in the chest. Blood started pouring out then bubbles every time he took a breath. Yep. Machines can be very dangerous.
Hope it feels better tomorrow lopo.

square1

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on September 29, 2016, 06:00:16 PM
The kickback hit my thumb, creating a half-moon looking puncture and an immediate bruise under the nail. 
Hurt like crazy and then I sorta lost feeling in the thumb.  It's been about 8 hours and now it's really starting to throb.
If there is blood pooling under the nail drill through the nail to release the pressure. I use the tip of a very pointed pocket knife.

Ianab

Hot needle works too.

Heat it up with a flame (which also sterilizes it) and "melt" a hole. You wont feel it as long as you stop when the blood starts leaking out.

Once the pressure is off it will hurt a less less, and you might not loose the nail.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Czech_Made

Plus one on getting the pressure out, been there. :)

Glad it was not worse, I lost a tip of my pinkie to jointer.

lowpolyjoe

Thanks everybody.

Den - those are some frightening stories.  Of all the machines i use in the shop, i figured the planar was the least likely to bite me since there's no blades exposed.  Kickback never even entered my mind. 

Sorry to hear about the pinky Czech. 

Thumb was throbbing all night but today it's feeling a lot better.  I didn't think to try to drill through the nail for the pressure.  I think it's all dried at this point so might not help.  But I'll keep that in mind for next time i do something stupid  :D.

Farmerjw

Also, hold your hand above your heart, will cause it to throb less.

I bought this year a drum sander specifically for that reason.  Wanting just a hair thinner after already cut out.  For no more than I have used the drum sander, I do not regret that purchase. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

muggs

I almost lost my arm due to a kickback from a square head planer. I now have a plate in my forearm holding it together . Moral of the story, do not use a square head machine and never stand in line with the machine. stand to the side.   Muggs :( :( :(

Thank You Sponsors!