iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Schools

Started by Peter Drouin, September 28, 2016, 09:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Had some calls they want to do a class on how lumber is made.
One class with 5 / 6 year olds the other 16 / 17 year olds.

Has anyone done this before?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dan_Shade

I have not, but I would find it quite enjoyable.

You probably should tailor the presentation to the age group.   6 year olds like loud,  obnoxious, and over the top, they like things that would embarrass your teenage kids.

I would explain to the seventeen year olds like you would on the forum.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

Congratulations. I am envious of this opportunity. I've addressed classes and different age groups on other issues in the past and as a heads up - no question is off limits to the 5 & 6 y/o's. They are wonderfully refreshing in this aspect. Peer pressure may stifle the 16 & 17 y/o's for fear their question may be perceived as "dumb" and fear of embarrassment may prevent them from asking very good questions. I'd stress this fact to the teens to try to get them to leave with all their questions asked and answered.

I'd make sure my insurance covers me for any liability for such. My insurance would but my carrier asks for a heads up if I put on such a demo.

Again, I think this is a great opportunity and I would jump on such an opportunity.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ncsawyer

The younger group would probably love a souvenir, like a small piece of wood, that they could take home and show their parents what they did.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Carson-saws

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 28, 2016, 10:05:07 PM
Peter,

Congratulations. I am envious of this opportunity. I've addressed classes and different age groups on other issues in the past and as a heads up - no question is off limits to the 5 & 6 y/o's. They are wonderfully refreshing in this aspect. Peer pressure may stifle the 16 & 17 y/o's for fear their question may be perceived as "dumb" and fear of embarrassment may prevent them from asking very good questions. I'd stress this fact to the teens to try to get them to leave with all their questions asked and answered. 
    I'd make sure my insurance covers me for any liability for such. My insurance would but my carrier asks for a heads up if I put on such a demo.

Again, I think this is a great opportunity and I would jump on such an opportunity.

Well said Sir...Ya might consider cheap masks for  flying sawdust and potential allergys...as well as cheap ear plugs, the throw aways....If you can..find the teen ager in the group that appears to be the "king of the castle"  and than the "timid one"...that he or she wants to ask that question...and let them "run the mill"  just a cut and drag back and have the "king of the castle" be the tailer...worked wonders to "break the ice"
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Brucer

I've done it a couple of times for high school students. I gave them a very short safety spiel to start with -- pointed out the danger areas (especially the sawdust chute). Then I loaded a log (carefully selected), cut a slab and one flitch, and shut it down to take any questions. Then I finished up cant and shut down for more questions.

I found a lot of teens don't like to ask questions for fear of looking silly. I have a couple of little tricks to get them talking. One is to ask them questions about what I just did, and why I did it. The other is keep an eye out for someone that looks as though he/she want to ask something but is too shy. Then I ask that person if he/she had a question.

The only young people I've demonstrated for are my two grandkids (one at a time, about age 3 to 4). Young kids don't always understand the consequences of what they might do, so you have to think of safety spiels a little differently. Kids that age are really good with rules -- as in, make a highly visible line that they must not cross -- a piece of take, or a painted line on the ground.

I always tell whoever is organizing things that all the students should have eye protection when they arrive. I'll also specify that the teens should have hearing protection. For my grandkids I simply told them to cover their ears with their hands when the saw was running.

I found a few of the teens were not really interested in the saw, but were keen woodworkers. Seeing what the saw could do suddenly opened up a whole new world of possible projects.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

4x4American

I would see if the schools insurance covered them being there
Boy, back in my day..

red

Lumber is made overseas and is sold in big box stores for cheap.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Peter Drouin

I had not thought about the safety thing.  I was not going to let them within 20' of the mill.
I'll have to think about it some more. With my luck, I'll have a bunch of customers show up at the same time. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Wel maybe you could have a couple of make-work things for the kids to do that Ann can show the kids while you deal with the customer.  It'll look good anyways
Boy, back in my day..

Cedarman

One safety demonstration I do is have everyone put in ear plugs before we start the machinery.  After watching for a bit, I have them take their ear plugs out.  They are amazed at how much sound there is and it reinforces the reason for wearing ear plugs.  We use the cheap squeezy kind.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

GAB

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 28, 2016, 09:24:34 PM
Had some calls they want to do a class on how lumber is made.
One class with 5 / 6 year olds the other 16 / 17 year olds.

Has anyone done this before?

If a visit to "how lumber is made" was followed up by a visit to a cabinet shop or some other manufacturing site where the lumber is being used I think that would be an eye opener to some students.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

If I was a customer and saw that going on,I would think that is real nice of them to do that and stick around to hear you talk.
I would try to get a small forest-tree talk in there. Just a few minutes,you would be shocked on the amount of people,parents, that think cutting wood is bad. I went with one of the grand kids to a log harvesting talk,all day. They packed a lunch too. Maybe have a few pictures of a wood yard,logs on a forwarder,than a truck with logs on the way to your place. What would be great is take a day at a logging operations than a day at your place.
On the chaperone part,we had about 50 kids that went,we had about 5-6 chaperones and teachers too. Needed all them to keep the kids in line. They was not bad,just all over the place. Some stayed close to me,some I has to keep saying,slow down and wait for us,or get back over here.  ;D
I would've loved something that this in school.
A quick talk about grading,big knots in lumber,to the older ones,would be good too.
Pictures of how you sell your chips would be good too. Get that chipper fired up for a few slabs would help out the noise factor too. Just really all the things you talk and show pictures here would do it.
The wood operations was a yearly outing the school does. Be Careful Peter,you might be doing it each year. I think they do it in third grade??
Than they all climb onto the forwarder for a picture that is posted on facebook.
For you,a picture in front of your mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

If it were my demo I'd add a little help for the math teacher and show why you need some basic math to figure BF by showing a 1"X12"X12" board, a 2"X6"X1' board and a 3' long 1"X3" board. I'd then stand a short log on end, tell them to imagine this is a tree still growing in the forest, let a student measure the circumference, have another student divide the results by pi then have another measure the diameter to show them how close that will be to the actual diameter of the log when measured straight across.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

I would suggest to them that the electromagnetic field created by the mill would delete all of their cell phone's information if they were within 50' of the running mill unless the phones were safely concealed in their pockets and turned off.  If not, they will be texting and sending snap chats and will most likely miss the demonstration.  Adding the math lesson to the project is a good idea.

I have had some of my students help offload for some projects that we have done with our FFA.  I gave them safety glasses and ear plugs and showed them where to stand.

We sawed up a few pine logs to make the slats and 2"x4" s for this wall.  They wanted to make a pallet wall but I suggested that it would be a better prop if we just cut the wood to resemble a big pallet.  We used it for the backdrop at the FFA banquet last spring and tore it down the next day.
Caveman

Carson-saws

Outstanding!...It is great so many of you not only have incredible knowledge of this process but also being able to show how the tree is given  the full  "circle of life"...best of luck and enjoy.  Passing along all these things is so important these days...Like red said..sarcastically I think...but no matter...being able to make folks aware of the process that can occur right in their own back yards is a rewarding experience for all involved..Have fun..be safe and keep up the good work.

:D I like the electromagnetic field thing..like a video of how fast their instant gratification devices are shut off.  :D
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

thecfarm

Kinda yes on the phone thing. BUT I feel they should be allowed to record the sawmill in motion,and then put the phone away. So many people communicate with phones with thier what they did that day. Be a great way to send it to thier friends,relatives,to show what they did and get everyone talking about it. Than it would be recorded for all to see for years to come too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

The phone comment was sarcastic.  If you want to  see a teenager panic, separate them from their phones for a time. 
Caveman

OffGrid973

From my IT demos I always have a backup plan for "live demo" which means a slide deck showing videos of the operation.  Maybe bring a cant and some wood cut at different types (quarter, flat, etc.) just in case the sawmill gods decide not to cooperate.

Sounds like a great experience and for the young kids and idea of a tree becoming a project (house, table,etc.) would definitely keep their interest.  Take home small piece like a 3" sticker would be cool for a little guy to show his or her parents.

Good luck, sounds Like a great opportunity, make sure someone films it and post so we can enjoy.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Gearbox

We do a education day at our farm club . 4th and 5th graders . The teachers and helpers keep them well under control . 1st graders would make me edgy . I saw a log then shut down and talk to them . We have been doing this for 30 years and have 4-6 bus loads spread out over the grounds . Good luck it should be fun for them and you .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Peter Drouin

Well, you all give a guy alot to think about. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

plowboyswr

You might call up Woodmizer and see if they know of, or could provide any materials for the groups. I know it's a totally different field but on the Dairy when we would give tours our dairy association would help provide things like pamphlets, coloring books, pencils, info packets for the teachers, and even gave us a $100 to use for other expenses like icecream. It may not work but it would be worth the try.  ;)
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Brucer

Instead of explaining a whole lot of stuff, I like to let the students lead the discussion (although I've been known to nudge it in certain directions  :D).

For example:
Student #1: "Where do you get your logs?"
Me: "I buy them from Atco Wood Products (plywood veneer mill)."
Student #2: "Hey! We were out there last week!"
Me: "Did you see a logging truck loading itself instead of unloading?"
Student #1: "Yeah, I did."
Me: "Well, that's what I'm sawing right now."
Students:   smiley_idea

Now, you'd almost suspect that there was a bit of collusion going on between me and the teacher and the scaler at the veneer mill ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

jdtuttle

Congratulations on the opportunity to educate our children's young minds. I've been a school board member for 18 years. Check with the administrators about their insurance. At our district we would cover the insurance and provide safety protection for eyes and ears. 
Have a great day

Peter Drouin

I will talk to a teacher Monday. He is coming to pick up some 6"x6"x8' and 8"x8"x8'
I guess there's a timber frame class too with another teacher.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!