iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Its getting to be the season to sweep those chimneys

Started by WV Sawmiller, September 28, 2016, 11:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Just a seasonal reminder - for many of us it is getting cooler and we will be wanting a fire in the heater or fireplace soon. Be sure to inspect and clean your chimneys. I got up on top of the house and cleaned ours this morning and got over 2 gallons of crud out of it. Below is a picture of a chimney fire we spotted up the road last year. Fortunately this one burned itself out without burning the house down but you can see where it got hot enough to crack the mortar in a place or too. I hope they got it properly repaired before they try to use it again this year.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

:o  That chimney certainly did not have flue tiles.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on September 28, 2016, 01:28:34 PM
:o  That chimney certainly did not have flue tiles.   ::)

This is true. It had a wood heater connected to it and enough air gaps we could not smother down the fire. I have no idea how old the house was. The owner was bout 90 y/o and has lived there a long time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ed_K

One chimney fire we had totaled the flue, we replaced it with a stainless steel one. 25' one tee to hook to the furnace and a roof cap was just over $600. It's round and a lot easier to clean. We clean our 4 times a yr.
Ed K

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Ed_K on September 30, 2016, 06:42:01 AM
One chimney fire we had totaled the flue, we replaced it with a stainless steel one. 25' one tee to hook to the furnace and a roof cap was just over $600. It's round and a lot easier to clean. We clean our 4 times a yr.

Ed,

I had a similar experience in Jacksonville NC when I was stationed at Camp Lejeune there. They repaired with a stainless steel liner. I had one installed here when we moved in and you are correct - they are much safer and easier to clean.

I worked a project in Kristiansand Norway a few years back and Norway uses a lot of wood heat (use lots of small individual room wood  heaters with small pieces of mostly birch firewood) and their community "counsels" would establish a schedule and come clean the chimneys in the area. No option - you had to be there to get your chimney cleaned. The houses were wood and close together and they did this because one fire could easily take down 5-6 adjacent houses.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!