iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland Mill 126 Cooks Guide addition

Started by DannyLand, September 28, 2016, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

Nice fabrication work... should function well for you!  I am correct in reading that the main tube of the Cook's guides is 1.5"x 1/4" wall?
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

fishfighter

Deere, how much did you cut off the tubes that held the old guides?

On a side note. I see that on your new guides, that flat plate suppose to mount under the blade. ;D I'm sure you have them like that to just to fab up things. ;D

Deere80

Rougespear, yes that is 1 1/2" tubing.

Fishfighter, I installed them the way Cook's instruction told me to.  If you put that flat plate on bottom you would have no up/down adjustment to put down pressure on the blade, it would move the roller side to side instead of up and down.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Cutting Edge

Quote from: fishfighter on March 13, 2017, 11:21:57 AM

...that flat plate suppose to mount under the blade. ;D ...

No, it is not. That is a deflector to prevent a piece of bark or other object from getting between the blade and roller guide.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Deere80

Cutting Edge,  so I do have them mounted correctly??  I thought that plate was a deflector for flying debris because on the bottom there is tapped holes for there BC jaw(bottom control) I believe that is what BC stands for.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Cutting Edge

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

fishfighter

Well, thanks for correcting me. ;D So, Deere, how much did you cut?

Deere80

I left 3 3/8" of the original tubing coming down and cut 2 pieces of 1 1/2" tubing 5" long.  I hope it works out I will try to do some cutting this next weekend and give a report on the differences between the original design to the Cooks guides.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

fishfighter

Deere80

well I cut 2 logs last night and on the first one the left guide roller was not turning as fast as it should, it was like there was not enough down pressure on the blade.  so instead of the 1/4" down pressure that they recommend I had to put 1/2" down pressure to make it turn properly.  Then I releveled the head and started cutting again, it seem to cut nice but  also I had just sharpened that blade.  Then when I quit I touched the blade and rollers to see if they were warm and the left side one that I had to lower to make it contact more with the blade was a little warm.  The blade was ice cold and right roller cold it was only 6 degrees out and windy so you could tell that the left roller was definitely creating heat.  So why would that one be getting warm, I had greased them before I started and it doesn't feel like I got a bad bearing because it feels good.  Only thing I can figure is I have to much down pressure and maybe it was so cold out that the grease was stiff enough that it was not letting the roller spin freely when I first started and have to put it back to the 1/4" down pressure as recommended from Cooks.  Any ideas of why this would be getting warm?
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Rougespear

My rollers are always warm/hot to the touch after cutting (WM rollers).  I'm more concerned why you think the inboard roller is not turning at full speed... does it hang up when turning it by hand?
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Deere80

Because when I engaged the blade it was turning half the speed as the right one so I stopped and went to turn it and when you grabbed it by hand to turn it,  it would just slip and not turn the blade with it so it wasn't making must contact with the blade.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Cutting Edge

Quote from: Deere80 on March 14, 2017, 08:33:26 AM

Any ideas of why this would be getting warm?

Sounds like your horizontal alignment (left/right) is incorrect and the blade is "scrubbing" the roller guide.  Friction = Heat

You should only need 3/16"-1/4" max down pressure.  Being as these bearings were greased AND it being cold outside, I believe this is what attributed to the roller not turning... I did the same thing several years ago and ruined a roller because it caused a flatspot.  Since then I have only used quality sealed bearings.  Even in single digit temps, the roller turns relatively freely.

Quote from: Deere80 on March 14, 2017, 11:49:55 AM

...when you grabbed it by hand to turn it,  it would just slip and not turn the blade with it so it wasn't making must contact with the blade.

You want enough friction between the blade and the roller to offer enough tractive force to ensure the roller turns.  Proper down pressure will do that.  Remember, it is a "guide" not a drive roller.  Yes, you will be able to turn it with your fingers, but you want enough pressure to ensure the roller spins with the blade while in operation.  Cold thick grease will prevent this.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Deere80

Cutting Edge I never thought about that with the roller might not be turned into the blade enough.  I will have to check that out before I cut again before I wreck a brand new roller.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

fishfighter

Keep us informed. I will be doing this upgrade in the near future. Just have to much going on now.

Andy White

All members on this thread,
While cleaning the shop today, I found a box with these Cooks guides in it.

I bought these to fit on my mill,  but don't have my mill now. If anyone would like this set, I will ship them to you for a donation to the forum. Just PM me when it is done, and give me your shipping info. These will make those Woodland Mills cut really well.  Thanks,              Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

fishfighter

Andy, I'm interested in them.

Andy, you have mail.

Deere80

I have about ten hours of cutting with the new rollers and it was definitely worth installing them.  It took a couple times adjusting them to where they need to be though.  I am cutting ponderosa pine which is soft wood with very hard knots and with the old guides as soon as the band would get just a little dull you were getting waves.  Now I can go at least twice as long with a band before I would get any waves. 
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

fishfighter

mattyo5

What kind of a donation would you be looking for?  $$$??   just out of curiosity  8)
Woodland Mills HM126 Sawmill - modded
Husqvarna 385xp rebuilt and ported
Husqvarna 372xp rebuilt and ported
2x Husqvarna 350 ...rebuilt and ported
Hitachi CS33etdb top handle saw

fishfighter

Thank You Sponsors!