iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you tell the wood type just from the smell?

Started by flatrock58, September 27, 2016, 09:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I smell a lot of Pine and Hemlock,  :D :D W Oak from time to time.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Carson-saws

Allanthus altissima aka: tree of Heaven...very stinky
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Brian C.

Black Locust and cotton wood really stink. Cherry kind of sweet and ash, I agree, like honey. White oak smells like whisky because it is stored in white oak barrels, especially bourbon and the longer in the barrels the better. Pines definitely smell, some sweet and some like what the sap makes-turpentine. But it is all good, well almost.

And MM, the cat is hot enough when it act like it is on a hot tin roof.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Brian C. on September 28, 2016, 08:40:44 PM
Black Locust and cotton wood really stink.

Brian,

Can't comment on cottonwood since haven't sawed it.

As to Black locust, I wonder if we are talking wood of different ages. Fresh cut black locust smells nice - like green peanuts to me. (Maybe we just disagree about how green peanuts smell :D.) I don't remember a significant odor on my dry black locust especially those where the bark has already slipped.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Joey Grimes

One of the worst smelling woods we cut is sycamore my wife says it smells like a dentist office? I have heard cottonwood is the worst
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Chop Shop

When I get home, even before I unlock the gate I can smell the Western Red Cedar!   I never tire of the smell of cedar and fir!

sandsawmill14

the cottonwood smells like cleaning out stalls in a horse barn :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Chop Shop

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 28, 2016, 11:32:37 AM
   Okay, does Hot Cat Pee smell different than cold cat pee?

Yes it does.    Just find an old junk car that cats have been living and spraying/peeing on the seats for years and wait till a nice hot day and open the door.  It will knock you out.

redprospector

Quote from: Magicman on September 28, 2016, 01:21:12 PM
How do you go about heating a cat?  How do you know when it is hot enough to pee??   ???   :o
Microwave oven is the preferred method around here. About 90 seconds should have it plenty hot.  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

longtime lurker

Working in rainforest is different- its dark to gloomy in there a lot of the time, the trees are tall and it can be near impossible to see the leaves with any clarity. So smell is important as a means of identifying different species, or sometimes at least knowing what its not. There are about 100 commercially usefull species of tree in the FNQ rainforest, and several hundred more non commercial species.

Some of them smell nice, some dont. On some the smell leaves quick, with some the smell lingers in the mill for months. A lot of them smell like foodstuffs... juicy fruit chewing gum/ anniseed/ cucumbers/ sugar cane/ green apples / molasses... and even one thats a distinctive chicken fried steak.

Food, it always comes back to food. :D

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

paul case

There ya go! I thought we would finally get around to it.

Pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

21incher

I can tell by the bugs that the fresh sawn wood attracts. When I saw ash I get bees all over the fresh cut wood. When I saw walnut I get hundreds of flys on the fresh cut lumber. Saw maple and ants show up, about the only wood that does not attract bugs is cotton wood. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

LAZERDAN

Wait a minute, 21incher i think you missed the punch line.  Cottonwood attracts STINK bugs!! 

killamplanes

we have water oak-swamp oak that smells pretty bad. several easy to identify, walnut, w/o, cottonwood, sycamore.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Planman1954

I sure can....with eyes closed could call....cedar, cypress, walnut, oak, and pine....and that's the only ones I've ever sawn. Working all your life with certain species, it becomes easy to smell em and know em!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

customsawyer

I never have any problem identifying pignut hickory. Think of a hog pen and you get the idea.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ianab

And then there is the woods that seem to have no smell....  ???

I hauled home a couple of smaller Alder logs last weekend and milled them up today. (Huge things about the size of a large fence post  :D )

But I noticed no distinctive smell. Now I thought that was unusual. Most woods I cut I can tell by the smell.

BTW, the "big" log scaled at 11 bd/ft Int, and I recovered  14  8)   Or Doyle scale it was 3..  Hows that for over run.  ;D Grade and production rate wasn't so great.   :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Carson-saws

longtime lurker..... :D...maybe that's why we are always hungry?
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

PoginyHill

Resurrecting an old thread...

In the veneer mill, logs are heated to about 150 deg, so the smell they produce is particularly strong - especially if you sniff in the vapor coming off freshly cut veneer. There are two species that are processed cold - yellow poplar, which smells like sour milk, and basswood, which doesn't smell much - a faint odor similar to the odor when it burns, but not as strong. Among the "cooked" species (pardon any descriptions you might find at a wine tasting party):

red oak - acidic, but pleasantly nutty. Being in the mill when red oak is being cut is good if you are congested  :laugh:. But the smell sticks to your clothes. Don't go on a date right after work
white oak - bleach
white birch and yellow birch smell similar - hard to compare it to anything, but very distinctive once you learn it.
black birch - very strong wintergreen
white ash - sweet and nutty. My favorite. If it only tasted that good.
maples - nothing strong or easy to describe. Rather slight aroma but like w & y birch, distinctive.

So, the answer to the OP's question - in a veneer mill, yes. Very easy to tell what is being cut when you walk into the mill.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

moodnacreek

People comment about the wood smells here. I only smell a different species coming in.

hilltopper46

Sometimes when I turn dry ash wood I think it smells like popcorn.
Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

Farmall 60A with Loader, Grapple and Forks

btulloh

Yes, in many cases.

Reminds me of an old joke I can't tell on the FF. 
HM126

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

handhewn

White fir is commonly referred to as "pith Fir" here in Northern Calif. and for good reason. That stuff just takes my breath away sometimes as I saw.

Thank You Sponsors!