iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Carriage Feed Squeak

Started by Ga Mtn Man, September 27, 2016, 07:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

My mill has developed a squeak in the carriage feed.  It does it if I move it by hand or using the power feed motor but is not constant, it comes and goes.  I took the chain loose so I could move the carriage by hand without the drive sprocket or idler roller turning...no squeak.  I turned both the drive sprocket and idler roller by hand and the drive sprocket using the motor...they both felt OK and I could not get either one to squeak at all.  Reconnected and tensioned the chain and the squeak returned.  It would seem that the squeak must be in either the drive shaft assembly or the idler roller.  Any one had this problem?  Any suggestions on figuring out which one it is?  Should I just ignore it?

BTW, when I took the cover off the feed assembly I discovered that the pulley set screw was loose and the pulley was shifting back and forth on the shaft.  This could have made a mess of either the pulley or the shaft.  Something to check on every now and then.       
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

Sounds like it could be a bearing in the feed drive, not a bad fix if this is it,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

It could be either one Paul, but my money is on the shaft.  There is a bearing on each end and are fairly easy to replace.  LINK

If you have sprocket wear, it is bad economics not to replace them all and the chain as well.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Could also be a pieces of wood dropped down between the battery box and the main beam, but only touches once in a while!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

I looked for that already, but I will check again before doing anything more drastic.  Thanks.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

You already stated that it only squeaked when the power feed chain was connected and tensioned.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

I know, but I didn't want to say that. ;)

Magicman

Pull it down and find the problem.  You do not want a seized bearing race to slip on the shaft as mine did even though that shaft is only about $30 bucks.

In 14 years of sawing, I have had to replace those power feed sprockets and chain twice.

Ga Mtn Man

I will do that.  Your advise is much appreciated. Are the bearings a press fit on the shaft?

Magicman

Yes, but not something that you can't handle.  I didn't have to use a press.

Notice the badly worn shaft sprocket above.  This sprocket/shaft unit needed replacing probably long before the bearing failed.  When you think about it, this power feed assembly is a real workhorse and takes a beating.

derhntr

Have had my set screw loosen up several times, 2nd time it was lock-tited.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Thank You Sponsors!