iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for new set of lexan for fabtek forwarder

Started by Mountaynman, September 27, 2016, 06:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountaynman

Not sure if someone in the Midwest or Upper UP might help thinking someone out there other than CAT has a kit pretty pricey here only sell individual pieces can buy sheets cut and drill myself just wondering if there is something out there Thanks in advance
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

1270d

I will be putting some new lexan into our fabtek one of these days as well.   Planned on buying it in sheet form and cutting/drilling myself.  Unless there is a better option....   

If you buy sheet stock, make sure you get the coated or mar resistant stuff.   More money but it's a lot tougher.

Gary_C

Some of the window/auto glass shops have or can get lexan but be careful you get the right thickness as most forestry equipment has thicker windows. It's not certain you can save much by making your own as the sheets are expensive and comprise the majority of the cost.

Also see what the local shops will charge to cut and drill from your old windows. You may not save much by doing the work yourself. Most cutting is done with routers and don't try to drill holes with a twist drill.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

North River Energy

Gary, are you maybe thinking of Plexiglas? I've done a few jobs turning, cutting, slotting and drilling thin Lexan/Makrolon, and used conventional cutting tools without issue.

Regardless, it's not cheap. Forwarder can probably use thinner material than a harvester, but still?

Gary_C

Quote from: North River Energy on September 28, 2016, 07:00:05 AM
Gary, are you maybe thinking of Plexiglas? I've done a few jobs turning, cutting, slotting and drilling thin Lexan/Makrolon, and used conventional cutting tools without issue.

The problem is the standard cutting angle on twist drills is too steep and they will start self feeding in any material softer than steel. If you regrind the angle on the twist drills you can get by but the normal angle can make a mess.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

glassman_48

Mountaynman,
I own a glass shop in northern lower Michigan, we sold 1/2 plexiglass sheets to a hockey rink.  I think they were 1/2" you can also put an older drill bit into cement and it helps dull it so it wont bite so quick into the lexan, and yes the mar resistant stuff hold up longer.  I would be glad to help out, but you would have to be coming this way or shipping would be a problem.  If you call my glass shop, give me the specs on what you need and maybe I can find a deal somewhere and help out.  When I sell by the sheet, I just mark it up a little bit, you can practice drilling in a corner so you understand what drilling into lexan is like.  My work number is on my profile.  good luck, ed norman

Mountaynman

Thanks for the tips boys gonna get a price from Milton cat on all the precut and drilled pieces then decide if its worth it to spend a day cutting and drillin got a guy here that can get the sheets neighbor up the road does truck and auto glass as well as windows time will tell getting bad with the sun will be worse this winter I think gonna be lots of snow makes it harder to see and we shovel log with it so I need to see my saw man well to make sure hes safe got big wood to cut hard to handle long pull you guys know the drill 4 trees will load the buggy with all it will want comin out of this hole

Happy Loggin and be safe
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Thank You Sponsors!