iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maintenance spares for mobile milling

Started by WV Sawmiller, September 27, 2016, 02:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

When I bought my mill I went ahead and ordered a few spare parts that I take with me on all mobile jobs. I have put together a pretty good tool chest with common use wrenches, sockets, etc. as well as chainsaw, cant hooks, wedges, jack, spare tire, etc. I have found I often/mighgt need on mobile jobs. On my last job my power feed belt wore out (too loose to turn the sprocket on the chain). Anyway, I know we have posted threads about tools to take but don't remember us specifically addressing suggested our list maintenance spares (although I oftnen see someone mention a spare item they keep with them) so figured I'd post what I take and ask what you guys carry to help jog my thoughts on other needful things I might should be carrying. If your mill type is not already listed in your profile please include that in your replies.

Common emergency/maintenance spares I take on mobile jobs include:

Set (2) of B57 belts
Drive Belt
Power Feed Belt
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Used blade guide roller (Has a slight flat spot but could be used in a pinch)
Good supply of bands

Thanks.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I have an accumulated stash, but one can easily be burdened with hauling everything that "might" be needed.  I am not really concerned until I make 100+ mile road trips and then some large items like a starter, alternator, & hydraulic pump e/w motor tend to hitch a ride.  These would not go except that I happen to have them.

Spare blade guides or at least the bearing kit(s) always go.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

esteadle

I like to take some extra toggle and pushbutton switches for the Setworks control box (Timber Harvester 30HT26).

2x single pole single throw
1x single pole double throw
2x momentary push buttons

I've had enough of these go on me that I always have them.

Arrow Electronics is a good source:
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/s301t/nkk-switches

bandmiller2

You've got a good start on it mate but its one of Murphy's laws you won't have what you need. Add a roll of duct tape and a spool of mechanics wire and test light. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DDW_OR

since i do not travel to saw i will just add what i use to store parts in
http://www.harborfreight.com/toolbox-organizer-with-4-drawers-68238.html

i have several. each line represents one box
bolts, nuts, washers, lag screws, etc
hydraulic connectors and parts
AC electric
DC electric
Yard watering system
"let the machines do the work"

WV Sawmiller

DDW-Or,

Okay, I'm gonna bite. What is a yard watering system and how and why do you use it in relation to a sawmill operation?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DDW_OR

sprinkler system, drip irrigation = not saw mill
just was on a role on what i have in the boxes.

another one is for kitchen supplies for camping/fishing.
"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!