The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Sawing Too Thin  (Read 5436 times)

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: Sawing Too Thin
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2017, 07:02:22 am »
Cup will change the numbers for sure if you allow it to happen.

So don't let it cup. Problem solved.
Also, cup can be controlled, to some extent, by the sawing pattern.  Or conversely, it can be made much more likely, and much worse, with incorrect sawing patterns.
Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Offline D6c

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2017, 09:47:49 am »
Interesting thread, especially since there isn't much of an established furniture lumber market here (that I know of).
I've got about 60 walnut logs (small to med.) right now that I'm unsure how I want to saw them.

The original scale on my LT40 only allowed 1/6" inch for blade kerf and 4/4 was under 1" so I made another scale allowing 0.1" so 4/4 measures a full 1" 
From reading this thread it sounds like need to make up another scale that will make 4/4 lumber at 1 1/8".

....A setworks would make things a lot easier.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2017, 12:29:42 pm »
I have found from personal experience that there is nothing worse than not having the wood I needed to complete the project I had in mind.

I WILL NEVER SKIMP AGAIN!!!
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2017, 03:52:45 pm »
From reading this thread it sounds like need to make up another scale that will make 4/4 lumber at 1 1/8".

Yes, especially for walnut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:27 pm »
The scale on my WM has a regular quarter scale on one side, and a hardwood scale on the other where the 4/4 is 1 1/8" if I remember right (97 model).
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2017, 10:13:23 pm »
Had a customer come looking for some wood.  She said that she went to buy some cedar from another sawyer, but it was sawn at 3/4" thick  :-\.  Maybe suitable for lining a closet, but how good is the cedar closet lining market?

I've sold quite a bit of 3/4" cedar.  Yes, closet lining, paneling, siding, and craft items.  Next best seller is 10/4 for outside stuff.

I'm sometimes amazed at what sells. :D
Larry

Nine out of ten trees recommend wood for your building project.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2017, 11:04:32 pm »
I'm trying another experiment.  A local mill had a whole stack of miscut thin cedar boards.  Waste of lumber for them, opportunity for me.  I bought about 800 bdft for almost nothing, dried and planed it to 1/2" on one side.  Rough sawn one side, planed the other.  We seem to have at least one customer a week ask for this, so now we can point them to the stack and hope they bite.  This is why the topic is so relevant as "sawing too thin" affects the big mills as well as us little guys. 
Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Offline sandsawmill14

• Senior Member x2
  • love my job (most days)
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2017, 12:17:10 am »
to thin is a major problem for commercial lumber i had a tt load of poplar ( 12 mbdft ) because it was a 1 5/8 instead of 1 11/16 :o >:( ::) but they told me the spec beforehand so... smiley_dunce it was on me not them ::) when they give you a min spec its the min :( :D :D :D
hudson 228, timberking b20, s&w 125 ,lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Offline plowboyswr

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2017, 01:36:56 am »
Got caught by a buddy's daughter at church a few weeks ago. She says Uncle Steve we are replacing the floor in our house can you bring your truck over so we can load up the debris to haul off. She bats them puppy dog eyes at me gives me a hug the best she can with her pregnant belly in the way so what was I to say.  Yeah, I go, we load up their old carpet and some other junk. Then she says can you help carry in the new flooring. Oh all right. We step into the garage and there sits a bundle of Cedar. That they are going to use for flooring. The "lumber" measures out at a whopping 3/8" thick with tongue and groove that are about 3/16" thick surface planed and sanded. 2 and 1/2" wide random length with nothing over 2' long. My jaw was scraping the ground. You're not seriously using this for flooring I remember saying. Yep we are her husband replies. He has put it down and it looks good but we shall see how it holds up. It takes all kinds!  ::)
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2017, 06:16:47 am »
The cedar here would not last long.
I can see 1/2 inch cedar for a liner for a closet. Would want something behind it too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning more than I'm teaching
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2017, 08:07:11 am »
I planed hickory to 3/4" and planned to have it T&Ged for flooring in our house. I took it to a local woodwork shop that said their process required planning and T&Ging in one step. GLUP! I didn't know this. I accepted it at 9/16" and installed it with backer board under it to match the level of existing flooring. It looks great after 10 years. For subsequent flooring I saved a step and omitted the planing.
Cook's MP-32, 16HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw, tandem trailer, log arches, trailer, tractor, hammer