iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dr. Appointment Today

Started by Roger2561, September 26, 2016, 08:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger2561

Well, my doc set me up for a colonoscopy (it's my second one in 5 years) due to a history of colon cancer on my dads side of the family.  The first time 5 years ago they found a pollup(sp?) so the doc removed it immediately.  Fast forward to today.  My doc reports that everything is nice and clear; he found nothing.  I cannot express to those who haven't had the procedure done the importance of having it done!  It doesn't hurt (I was asleep through the entire procedure) and it's me a peace of mind knowing that everything is okay.  The only side effect is the amount of gas that follows after the procedure.  Man, I swear I was nearly air born a couple of times.  If I could find a way to bottle it, I know I'd have enough gas to heat my house for year.  Seriously, get to it!  It may save your life.  Roger 
Roger

Den Socling

I agree 100%. Once they give you a shot of happy juice, it's a downright pleasant experience.  :D  One time, Patti and I went together. Now that's true love. And like Rodger says, getting a clean bill of health is well worth the afternoon it takes.

sandsawmill14

i have to go next month for mine :o they removed some polyps 3 yrs ago and told me because of the type polyp i had to have it done every 3 years but it is good to know when everything is good :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Carson-saws

I asked the Doc if He gave me a cigarette after the "violatin" part was over.  spot on for the "happy juice"..they lay that warm blanket on ya and tell you to "assume the position"..the Dr. givin me the juice was German accent and  said..."nighty night" and that's all I remember after that.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

rick carpenter

I had one done a couple of years ago, so next physical I need to ask about another. Two tips for newbies here. One, do the pills! All my friends were jealous that I didn't have to drink the same nasty drink as they did. Second, do not allow interns to observe! I foolishly signed a waiver saying they could when I first scheduled it. Fast forward to the day. I was robed up and laid out on my side, moon hanging out proudly, and in walked two young girls. Oh **** I literally thought, I forgot about them. But the doc positioned them to my front, so other than a little awkward eye contact all was OK enough. Not too bad, could be worse, huh? Well, lah-dee-dah, in walked the third young lady. She must have paid the big bucks for her spot, as she was put behind me with a direct moon view. Anyhow, I'm just glad the lights went out quickly.
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

Tom the Sawyer

Well.... since you brought it up.  I wasn't worried about the embarrassment aspect, but the inconvenience of the prep.  My putting it off was based on a negative FOBT (fecal occult blood test) - that was a bad decision, not all polyps bleed.

At my first colonoscopy (age 55), I was diagnosed with an advanced stage of colon cancer - I didn't get to go home for 11 days, 10 of which I wasn't allowed anything to eat or drink.  28 days of radiation and 24 weeks of chemo later, my protocol was finished.  I have had 6 colonoscopies since then - never any kind of a problem.  I'm on the three-year schedule now.

As a survivor (it'll be 10 years in November), I do get a 'special' deal, I get the "2-fer".  Since they removed 20" of my colon, and were not able to reconnect it, they start with me on my side, and finish up with me on my back.  The drugs are much better now, waking up early can be awkward.  ;)

Regardless of the prep, please get it done.  Any perceived embarrassment only lasts a few seconds before you nod off.  If you end up with an 'appliance', it'll likely be there for everything you do, for the rest of your life.  :-[ :-[   
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Dakota

Having a colonoscopy saved my life.  Although I had no colon problems, the Dr. noticed what he thought was a nodule on my prostate.  That nodule turned out to be a tumor.  Prostate and tumor are gone, and I'm still alive, thanks to the colonoscopy Doc.
Dave Rinker

gspren

My mom had colon cancer about 30 years ago, she is now 88 and still going. 8) As a result I started colonoscopies in my 40s, usually clear a few times polyps but other than the prep no big deal. During the first one, 19 years ago, I woke up completely while they were retracting and talked to the Doctor as I watched the screen, not many people get to see their own butt hole slam shut. :-\
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Raider Bill

1999 colon cancer with a resection and all the trimmings. Was going in for a recheck every year but now I'm at 2 year retesting.
Last one I had the anesthesiologist was the same one that knocked me out for the resection. We remembered each other. He said I was in for a treat because his new assistant was going to do the honors this time.
Blonde, blue eyed, young and beautiful babe! I figured if she was the last person I ever saw all was good. She put me to sleep content. :-* Woke up to a unshaven, sweaty gastro guy. First thing he said was "were you expecting someone else here" :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Well, I'll be setting up an appointment with the scope man. Some weird bowel things going on, so better get it checked.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Had my first one a year ago, doc said come back in 5 years, told him I was 76 and one of us might not be here.  Anyway, woke up, a little towards the end, and they were pumping my stomach to force gas out, and I drifted off again, nurse said I used some bad words.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

pineywoods

At your age, if this one was clean, doc may recommend against one in 5 years. I had one scheduled a month ago, and doc said "I'll do it if you want, but not recommended." There is some risk involved, and the risk goes up as you get older..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ron Scott

My doctor has told me the same thing. Better to die of old age. ;)
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!