iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking Setworks not working

Started by ghouse36, September 26, 2016, 12:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghouse36

I have had my mill in storage (in a barn) for the summer months.  Got it out on Saturday and went through everything oiling and greasing the entire thing. Got all set up and went to "set home" and the readout said it was at 1" like it should.  Once the log was on the deck and I was moving the head to start cutting I noticed the display was still stuck at 1".

I checked all the connections and ran the length of the wire to see if there was a fray in it.  Nothing was found to be wrong.  All the other functions on the display worked (Thickness adjust, auto saw up/down and manual saw up/down).  Went ahead and cut for the customer using the old manual way (which too forever) and broke a blade about 5 hours in.  Noticed the digital read out was now working.  Went back and "set home" again and stated working like I should.  Turned the log for the third time, went to sent "return", then auto saw down for the first cut and the head went all the way down to the deck and wouldn't stop. 

I am at a loss...... anyone have any ideas what the issue is???? ??? ??? ??? ??? ::) ::) ::) ::)

I am thinking it is the counting unit at the top of the head that is the issue.  Hoping someone else has had this issue and can help.

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the forum ghouse36.  It might help if you tell us what model and year mill you have.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Will_Johnson

Please give a call to TimberKing service at 800-942-4406 and we will work with you to get going!

:)

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

ghouse36

Sorry, I have a Timberking 2000 2010 model.

Ga Mtn Man

I had that exact mill.  Sounds like you are losing signal from the encoder.

1.  Using electrical contact cleaner clean the cable connector contacts.

2.  Open up the connector back shells and look for corrosion

3.  Open up the Setworks box and inspect/tighten the terminals strip connections

If none of that helps call Mike at TK.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

DDW_OR

Quote from: ghouse36 on September 26, 2016, 03:29:01 PM
Sorry, I have a Timberking 2000 2010 model.

mine is a TK-2000 purchased new from the dealer on 9/20/2011 in Phoenix, AZ
TimberKing Southwest

thecfarm

ghouse36,welcome to the forum.
Been sawing long?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ghouse36.

Please add your location to your profile.  It will help with questions plus it is good to know.  Also how about an intro thread and tell us about your sawing interest.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ghouse36

A few want some more information about myself since I am new to the forum.  I have been sawing for about 8 years now.  Started out with a manual mill and decided real quickly that if I was going to have fun with this job, then I had to have machinery capable of making that happen.  I then upgraded to a Timberking 2000, which I love, just have to work out the bugs. 

I started my company after lots of research and thought.  I wanted to do something that was totally different from my full time job and something that would supplement my income now and into retirement if i desire.  I stay busy with word of mouth and hope to pick up the business sometime in the future.  I am located in Central Kentucky and do other custom woodworking projects for my customers. 

For the post:  I will let everyone know about the fix for the set works.  I am hoping to get time to work on it before this weekend and find out the issue.  I will post my findings/solutions.  Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and experiences.  Keep 'em coming!! I always want to learn as much as I can from those in the industry.

DDW_OR

have you given a call to TimberKing service at 800-942-4406?

next, which encoder do you have?

the old one
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,84779.msg1317785/topicseen.html#msg1317785

or the SICK

kensfarm

Welcome to the Forum!  2 thumbs up for TimberKing tech support..  they make it easy. 

ghouse36

I found out the encoder board was burnt out and was causing the issue.  I have received it back from the manufacture (who repaired it much cheaper than my Timberking quote) and I will get it back on the mill Thursday before heading out to cut a large walnut tree.  Thanks for all that helped!!

Probable cause of the damage:  The manufacture of the encoder told me the reason for the board being burnt up was because the exhaust from the motor is directed directly at the encoder itself.  They suggested making a heat shield of some sort to prevent damage in the future.  They also stated they have received several of these with the same problem and they come from mill with gas motors.       

Will_Johnson

Despite designing the setworks system in conjunction with the supplier and having their approval on the design, in a very few cases cases earlier versions of the 2000 sensor (ghouse36's is from early 2012) did experience heat-related failures.

Heat shield is standard on all current 2000s and comes with the sensor when ordered from TimberKing.

We also found that over time some of the old-style sensors failed due to moisture. The sensor we currently put on 2000 mills (and provide for all replacements) is the most up-to-date SICK encoder pictured above. It can literally be submerged in a bucket of water and continue functioning. It's also expensive.

Whenever we make an upgrade we try if possible to make it able to be retrofitted to older machines. In this case we are pleased to be able to offer 2000 owners the ability to upgrade their machines to current specs.

xlogger

I think you will need to do the same as me to take care of this. I went threw two encoders when cutting large logs. I changed the muffler to one that exhaust out the other side, problem solved for $115. 

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Will_Johnson

We would be worried that on this fix you have traded occasional exhaust going on your sensor to exhaust constantly going onto your main hydraulic lines. Is the clean area on your hydraulic filter due to exhaust? We would be concerned for the life of these components as well as about heating of hydraulic fluid. We would also be happier if you had your center cover on! :)

xlogger

First of all I should of gave Jason most of the credit on this fix. I was going to move the encoder and he suggested I get this muffler instead. He also suggested on putting a turn out also but he didn't think it would over heat the hydraulics. I do think I will add a turn out also. Not sure why there is a clean spot on the filter. I took pic before I crank it up. Sorry about missing cover, I'll try to find it probably near where the blade guard is at :-[.
By the way Will the machine is running great ;D
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Sawdust Lover

xlogger nice job on the fix! I have had problems with my encoder as well but Timberking has always gone out of the way to make it right. I have simply wrapped the encoder in foil insulation and learned not to leave the head all the way up when possible. The saw has almost 1000 hours on it now and has had it tough sawing reclaimed lumber most of it's life. Other then the encoder the only other problem I had with the 2000 was a flat tire. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!