iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exhaust Brakes for Diesel pick-ups

Started by JD350Cmark, November 16, 2004, 06:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD350Cmark

I've been putting off getting an exhaust brake for my F-450, partly because I'm not sure what to get but mostly due to the cost.  Now I am ready :)  Looked in to Banks, BD Power & PAC.  Anybody have a brake on your truck?  What brand?  

Most of my towing and hauling is done in the mountains so it will help out and make it a little safer.  Thanks any input.  -Mark  
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Murf

I have a PAC brake on my F350, amongst other tweaks, and I am very happy with it, it works well and has never given me any troubles at all.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

bighoss550

ive installed a few BD's. and one banks. i liked the BD a little better, but they both work well.
banks are nicer people to work withj tho unless there is a local rep for BD in ur area.
what year is ur 450?

JD350Cmark

bighoss550,

It's a 2001, 6-speed.  I agree with you that Banks are nicer folks.  Spent 30 min on the phone with them yesterday and he was more than happy to spend what ever time was needed to answer my questions.  I don't know of a local dealer for BD, I think I would just buy direct.  BD is made in Canada, and Banks is based out of Southern Calif, but I'm not sure where Banks brakes are made.  Same place? ???  Why did you perfer the BD?  

bighoss550

it was smaller so it was easier to get in there on the 7.3. but then banks says that their longer one is better.
i dont know which is actually better, just my opinion from the technicians point of view:)

the one i put on the dodge was a piece of cake tho:D
i thought the 7.3's were a bear, but my 6.0 is absolutely impossible to work on!!!

JD350Cmark

Bighoss,

Did you notice if one or the other provides more braking at lower RPM's?

bighoss550

hard to tell without a load. they were customer vehicles and i just test drove em down the road and back. sorry.

im sure they are very close to the same.

JD350Cmark

Well, I ended up going with the BD brake.  Took a friend and I about 9 hours to install it and boy does it sure work mighty good.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!