iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adding On To My Shop

Started by David Freed, September 25, 2016, 06:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Freed

My son and I dug a hole yesterday. 18' x 48' addition.

WHERE DID ALL THIS DIRT COME FROM?  :o I think it was multiplying every time I went after another scoop.  :)
That's a 55 gal barrel and a 6x6 in the lower left for reference.

I knew I had a solid driveway by the building, but we scraped up over 30 tons of rock

I guess I don't have a very good concept of volume.

I have a couple days off next week. I hope to get the forms up and concrete poured by end of day 2. We'll see how good my concept of time is. I may still be working on forms.

David Freed

A little more progress. It took longer than I thought. Concrete tomorrow.

Roxie

It's so exciting to start a project like that, and very satisfying to finish it.   :)
Say when

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OneWithWood

It always takes longer.  Even if you factor it in. . .
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Czech_Made

Always more time, more money and more  supplies, the law of construction.

David Freed

Too much concrete. I wanted to be sure I didn't come up short. Built some forms real quick and saved some of it.

I'm exhausted. I did more physical work this week than I've done in years, as well as long hours almost every day. I took this afternoon off. I never do that.

My building won't be nearly as nice as Jeff's, (not even close) but it will work for me.

OneWithWood

Better to have too much concrete than too little.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

David Freed

Quote from: OneWithWood on October 03, 2016, 10:55:19 AM
Better to have too much concrete than too little.
smiley_thumbsup

A little more progress. I pulled the form boards and stakes, then carried some dirt back in where we dug a little deep.

I built a "bridge" so I wouldn't be driving on the new concrete. Two piles of dirt, two 2x6's on the dirt, and two 2x8's to drive on.

I don't care what anyone says, concrete is a 4 letter word.

Czech_Made

Looking quite good!

I hear you on concrete.  I am building a fancy fence - meaning I dig ditch and mix concrete several times a month since June.  It is not much, just 8 feet section at a time and 5-6 mixers to pour but it bloody never ends.

The fence has 15 sections total, I am done with 7 only 8 to go - and I will be dealing with the gate posts, haha.

Good luck with your project, my shop is so full I could use an addition too, but it will no happen anytime soon.

David Freed

Quote from: Czech_Made on October 05, 2016, 08:37:32 AM
Looking quite good!

I hear you on concrete.  I am building a fancy fence - meaning I dig ditch and mix concrete several times a month since June.  It is not much, just 8 feet section at a time and 5-6 mixers to pour but it bloody never ends.

The fence has 15 sections total, I am done with 7 only 8 to go - and I will be dealing with the gate posts, haha.

Good luck with your project, my shop is so full I could use an addition too, but it will no happen anytime soon.
That sounds like a lot more work than I had. Hope you get it done soon.

Made a little more progress today.

I put up a short block wall on the uphill end, put in a tile around the footer to keep water out, put a double plate on the new footer and screwed 2x6's to the side of the old footer.

The triangle of concrete is for a bigger door to drive in on the end.

Doesn't look like much for 12 hours of work.

David Freed

A couple more days work.

David Freed

Another 13 hour day. Going awful slow working by myself.

Czech_Made

But it will be dry for winter, right?

Ox

It's coming along!  It does suck working by yourself because it's slow but I prefer it because I find it exhausting to keep explaining things all the time.  Plus I'm always in pain and it gets worse when I'm trying to do anything.  Then I get "pithy" and start crabbing and being meaner and meaner.  Working alone unless absolutely necessary is, well, necessary.  :-\
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

DeerMeadowFarm

Looking good! You guys don't dig footings below the frost line where you live?

Czech_Made

Quote from: Ox on October 19, 2016, 10:30:55 AM
It's coming along!  It does suck working by yourself because it's slow but I prefer it because I find it exhausting to keep explaining things all the time. 

Ha, same experience.   Or defending the way I do things - thats when my wife is helping me.

David Freed

Quote from: Czech_Made on October 19, 2016, 05:47:44 AM
But it will be dry for winter, right?
I hope so. Some days I wonder.

Quote from: Ox on October 19, 2016, 10:30:55 AM
It's coming along!  It does suck working by yourself because it's slow but I prefer it because I find it exhausting to keep explaining things all the time.  Plus I'm always in pain and it gets worse when I'm trying to do anything.  Then I get "pithy" and start crabbing and being meaner and meaner.  Working alone unless absolutely necessary is, well, necessary.  :-\
I did get an Amish teenager for half a day last week. He knew what he was doing.

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on October 19, 2016, 11:39:57 AM
Looking good! You guys don't dig footings below the frost line where you live?
That is generally standard procedure. I put this footer as deep as the other part of the building. It has made it through some pretty cold winters okay.

David Freed

More progress. Wednesday,  I spent about 9 hours taking down tin, door track (4-16' sections), framework the door track was fastened to, bird nests (more like 10 story hotels), etc. and then protecting the insulation with lumber wrap paper.

I got almost a bale of hay out of 2 bird nests. 

Thursday I squeezed in 5 hours between rain storms doing various small chores and cutting 60 2x6's to length for roof stringers. I made a measure stick (on the board in first pic) so I didn't have to stretch out a tape measure every time.

The boards have been stored outside on sticks behind my shop for a couple years. Two inches of rain had everything soaked. I used my lawn mower and wagon to bring them to the front of the shop. My pickup is 4wd but it weighs almost 9,000 lbs.

I put the boards back on sticks to dry out. Then I had to make a run up to Indy.

Yesterday I found out how NOT to put rafters up. I thought I would put it together in sections and then just hoist the ends up with rope and pulleys. The putting together part went real well. The hoisting up part took 8 HOURS  (6 yesterday and 2 today).

I went on a search this morning in the Amish community to find a sky track with a long boom I could use to lift the sections into place. I stopped by one of the cabinet shops that I do a lot of installing and delivering for and the owner said he and 5 of his boys would come over next week and help me get the rafters and stringers up.  8)

David Freed

Here's a few more pics of my progress.

In the 4th pic you can see chains holding the peak end up. After I got it within a foot of the right height, I hung my legs over the peak, then reach down & lift one side up with one hand, then move the chain hook up a few links. I went from one side to the other until on the last lift I DROPPED THE HOOK.   

I'm sitting there holding 60+ lbs with one hand thinking, I'm screwed. then my inner "never give up" kicked in and I slipped about 3 or 4 feet of chain through my hand, started swinging it back and forth, then flipped it up and over the top of the 2x10 so I could get hold of the hook again. I didn't drop the roof, but my arm is still sore from holding it so long.

Ox

Whew, I wasn't there but I can tell that was something fierce rough...glad you didn't get badly hurt...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

David Freed

I really wasn't in danger. I just knew if I let go, that roof section and probably the wall would have been ripped apart.

venice

This project looks like a Birthday present to your self.

Happy Birthday David!

venice

LeeB

Shame you have to build your own birthday cake.  :D
Happy Birthday.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roxie

Yes, Happy Birthday! 

I don't know if you have used Amish help before, but I'll be curious to hear if your experience will be similar to my observations.  When the Amish know how to do something, be it carpentry, gardening, or housekeeping, etc, they are amazingly fast.  Perhaps it's just a matter of having no electronic clutter in their heads.  Good call on your part to get some help.   :)

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!