iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw hourly rate

Started by D2 Cody, September 24, 2016, 08:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D2 Cody

Hey guys,
We were sitting in the shop today talking about a pasture clearing job we are going to look at next week and talking about our prices for equipment and etc. We have been around $50.00 per hour per saw for the last two years on our land and pasture clearing jobs. With the way the economy is most customers do not complain but some do. Maybe we are to high but it is a very dangerous occupation, maintnence is expensive, hard work, unfriendly working conditions at time, and you all know the rest. My question is what do you boys think and what are other going rates in the country. I do not want to undercut ourselfs not over charge the customer. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks again.
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

killamplanes

I personally think 50 bucks an hour is dirt cheap. Dependant on alot of things including your production. Skidder, log truck hauling,  dropping timber I figure 100 an hour for every hour and I'm still not rich (fyi). But I dont know your investments or productivity.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

danbuendgen

Do you mean one guy and one chain saw? Or equipment also?
I have a guy that chops for me, he show up ready to go with his saws, and chopping gear, I provide the saw gas and b&c oil. I pay him $20 per hour. And I pay him for lunch time and any short breaks.
I get $75 per hour for me and my cable skidder. If I do a hourly job.
My buddy does dirt work/land clearing/winter logging, he does not charge hourly for land clearing, but bids his jobs know he needs:
$85 for bulldozer work.
$85 for mini excavator.
$100 for tandem axle dump truck or log truck.
$125 for big excavator.
Does that give you an idea?
Of course it depends on who you work for, and every region has different rates.

Over all the economy sucks. The only think keeping the US (or world) economy afloat is the Federal Reserve printing cash that should not exist, low interest rates on government loans, and the stock market holding on for dear life. If one of those 3 situations stops, hold on to your socks and prepare for the worst economic collapse the world has ever seen. It's not a matter of "if" but "when". In the 08 situation, Obama bailing out the big banks briefly helped the economy, but will bite us in the end. Now the US government is even deeper in debt, and if the government can't pay back the loans, it's toast. Honestly, the government can't even pay off the interest for those loans.... so what will happen? China and other lenders will want there money back. Mark my words, when this happens, our way of life will come to a screeching halt. The bankers all over the world are planning for this now. They plan to go to a one world currency. A cashless society and a one world government. Look this up on youtube for more into.

Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

ohiowoodchuck

The guy that does my dozer and backhoe work charges me 50.00 a hour. My buddy charges me 50.00 a hour for bushhogging with his big tractor. Others around here are around 75.00 a hour. I wouldn't charge no less than 75.00. You got to eat too.
Education is the best defense against the media.

SwampDonkey

Sounds pretty cheap for dozer and back hoe. $180/hr and higher in this area.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

BargeMonkey

I'm getting 45 for a man +saw, if it's got "hazard" trees and feeding a chipper I get more. Equipment rates are funny, around here stuff isn't to high, you go out 1hr west of me and dozer hourly rates almost double, we did some work out Cooperstown way yrs ago and these guys are ruthless with pricing. I think all of our stuff is going up 10% because of comp going up again this fall.

sawguy21

Quote from: danbuendgen on September 25, 2016, 08:26:40 AM
Do you mean one guy and one chain saw? Or equipment also?
I have a guy that chops for me, he show up ready to go with his saws, and chopping gear, I provide the saw gas and b&c oil. I pay him $20 per hour. And I pay him for lunch time and any short breaks.
I get $75 per hour for me and my cable skidder. If I do a hourly job.
My buddy does dirt work/land clearing/winter logging, he does not charge hourly for land clearing, but bids his jobs know he needs:
$85 for bulldozer work.
$85 for mini excavator.
$100 for tandem axle dump truck or log truck.
$125 for big excavator.
Does that give you an idea?
Of course it depends on who you work for, and every region has different rates.

Over all the economy sucks. The only think keeping the US (or world) economy afloat is the Federal Reserve printing cash that should not exist, low interest rates on government loans, and the stock market holding on for dear life. If one of those 3 situations stops, hold on to your socks and prepare for the worst economic collapse the world has ever seen. It's not a matter of "if" but "when". In the 08 situation, Obama bailing out the big banks briefly helped the economy, but will bite us in the end. Now the US government is even deeper in debt, and if the government can't pay back the loans, it's toast. Honestly, the government can't even pay off the interest for those loans.... so what will happen? China and other lenders will want there money back. Mark my words, when this happens, our way of life will come to a screeching halt. The bankers all over the world are planning for this now. They plan to go to a one world currency. A cashless society and a one world government. Look this up on youtube for more into.
Those prices might cover the onsite costs of the machine here but not travel time or operator. If I was supplying the saw and gear, paying my own workers comp and transportation I wouldn't get out of bed for 20 bucks an hour.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

killamplanes

X2 they pay 10-12 bucks an hour around here Flippin burgers
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

danbuendgen

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 25, 2016, 12:45:08 PM
Those prices might cover the onsite costs of the machine here but not travel time or operator. If I was supplying the saw and gear, paying my own workers comp and transportation I wouldn't get out of bed for 20 bucks an hour.

I forgot to add moving costs. Yes, the equipment prices I listed are on-site prices. Moving to the job is extra. He moves everything with this tandem axle dump truck and trailer for $125 per hour.

Why would you supply your own workers comp? Owners (as of now) don't need comp on themselves.

The guy flipping burgers needs some transportation too, and McDonald's pays nothing for travel expenses. And you get no right offs. And they don't pay for lunch. $20 around here for chopping is normal pay. We work 10 hour days often, that's $200 per day for him, 5 days per week, $1000 per week. Pretty good compared to the burger joint. Even after his operating cost, I bet he's doing $800 per week. Lucky to make half that at the burger place.

barbender

I think that's a pretty good wage for a small operation to offer.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Pretty much in line for operating a saw. Only difference is production pay, not hourly pay out this way except for clearing roads back of brush and downed trees then it's $25/hr. But $800-$1200 a week is the ball park for running brush saws around here. Mostly $800 for fellas with experience because there is real thick ground as well as light to. I don't count the slackers and gamesters. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

D2,

If you are keeping busy and can cover expenses and make a decent wage at that rate I'd say you are in the ball park. The fact that people are hiring you indicates you are in the ball park with your prices and quality of services provided. The fact that people complain does not matter if you are still getting work and especially if you are getting referrals from prior customers.

Besides, are they really serious that you are too expensive or just trying to negotiate a lower rate? Don't waste time trying to justify your costs and wage requirements - just agree and tell them they should look elsewhere. If they are serious they are also likely the ones who would also want to complain about the work anyway and you are better off without their business.

BTW, I typically tell every clerk at every cash register "That is too much" every time I pay for something just to joke with them and watch their reaction. Some seem confused, most agree but charge me that price anyway.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pine

Not enough info on what you are actually providing for work output. 
Might not seem bad but might be way under or over. 
Folks have posted pricing on other clearing options which have much higher output.  My forestry mulching runs $200/hour including tax but 100 miles north of me they are getting nearly double that. 

Area makes a big difference.

Oliver05262

dan, I think you are getting a real deal if your chopper provides his own saws and chopping gear and works for $20/hr. If he's paying taxes (are you giving him a 1099 at the end of the year?) and provides his own health/disability/ comp insurance there isn't much left after to eat on if he also has to repair /replace his saws and have a reliable way to get to work.
  The other side of the story is what kind of production do you get? who skids? does he just lay 'em down and you keep them out of his way? Lots of variables, I know.
  One guy I know pays his chopper better than that; pays by the day and provides the saws and all repairs, but the guy really can put some wood on the landing. He cuts and skids, too---works alone most of the time.............
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

longtime lurker

I just did a few days of "outside"work dropping some dead standing trees on an old road that was being re-opened.
Me, 395 Husky, 046 Stihl along for the ride as a spare, fuel etc. They supplied me with an offsider to help carry the gear and a radio.
Dead standing (some half rotten) trees that were dropping branches, with a lot of vine in the tops etc plus a bit of other light regrowth around the edge of the road corridor. Sensitive area with a high emphasis on directional felling so as to reduce damage to other remnant trees. Did I say it was primary jungle: ie it was thick in there, and hot and humid and not nice at all.

I charged them $60 an hour, and in hindsight it was way too little for the job. Truck drivers around here get $25 an hour, and dont get so many chances per day to die in a very painful and messy fashion.
The 20/20 hindsight numbers work out this way - plenty of truck drivers, not a lot of guys with my experience in that type of country or directional felling expertise. So I should have base rated at $45 to $50. Factor in the increased hazard of dead trees with rotting tops all hung up to other trees with vines - double it. Plus $20 an hour for bringing my own saws etc etc. Call it $100 an hour plus sales tax for a round number.

Whole thing is I went and looked and am that used to working for me that I never stopped to think about the fact I was working for someone else. Theres always that part of my brain that says "I do this for me everyday so its money for nothing doing it somewhere else" right?

Every time you wander into the bush and start a saw theres a chance you might not come back, or come back in a bad way. Its a dangerous business, and insurance costs reflect that. Around here every one of the guys that taught me had a story about the time they got lucky... and that includes 2 or 6 months off work but still alive lucky. I had a lucky in June - a big branch dropped right at the foot of a tree I was walking to. If I hadnt stopped to tighten my belt up 20 yards out...

Underpaid the lot of us.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

D2 Cody

Hi guys,
Yes the $50.00 per hour is just for one man with one saw. My dozer price is separate at $130.00 per hour plus mobilization. Skidloader/compact track loader and shear or tree saw or any other attachment is $ 75.00 to $85.00 per hour plus mobilization. Thankyou for all of the replies so far. We can do a fair amount of work in little time depending on the situation of the landclearing job. It is very interesting learning prices based on our different locations so if anyone has anymore inputted free to post. Also any other landclearing techniques, equipment, and etc. woold also be great to hear.
Regards,
D2 Cody
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

killamplanes

As long as u are keeping busy and have money for repa is,upgrades, and living expenses. I would say ur better off than the average person walking down the street. With that said I look at my occupations and view them as high risk high pay and knowing at the age of 65 I will be able to do none of the businesses that I have now (logging,cropdusting, etc). It's more of a young man's game. Hard on my body and did I say high risk.  Just the way I view things....

Frickman

Before I retired I charged $60.00/hour for me and my equipment. I got it too. Even from other loggers who wanted veneer timber cut. At that rate all I had to do was fell them and maybe buck the butt log, nobody would pay that rate for me to limb and drag brush. Now I didn't do this full-time, just for some extra work on Saturday mornings. Some weeks I made more money on Saturday doing contract work than I did the rest of the week working on my own jobs.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

danbuendgen

Quote from: Oliver05262 on September 25, 2016, 10:08:08 PM
  dan, I think you are getting a real deal if your chopper provides his own saws and chopping gear and works for $20/hr. If he's paying taxes (are you giving him a 1099 at the end of the year?) and provides his own health/disability/ comp insurance there isn't much left after to eat on if he also has to repair /replace his saws and have a reliable way to get to work.
  The other side of the story is what kind of production do you get? who skids? does he just lay 'em down and you keep them out of his way? Lots of variables, I know.

Just to answer your question, he pays his own insurance and he will get a 1099 this year. I have no clue if he has disability or comp for himself. I doubt it, but I never asked. I just started to hire a feller buncher to put the wood on the ground. He just has to limb the trees and he sets chokers wile I'm gone. I skid and cut the landing. He or I hand cut any trees that are too big for the feller buncher. Honestly, we cut a lot of firewood and hemlock. Some pine and mixed hardwood saw logs on this job, but nothing great. He is also a forester, so he makes his real money doing consulting. Logging with me is just a side gig for him. But honestly, I doubt I could afford to pay him more for the low grade crap we often cut. Sometimes I think he does better then I do. I understand 100% about what you guys are saying. I wish I could pay more, but for the quality of wood we cut, it's not going to happen.

killamplanes

You said it. Alot depends on the tree value or bft a day. I cut 2 walnut today and about 10 other species. Anyway walnuts 10ft butt log 32in and 18in
Those 2 trees alone proby 2-4k. I don't have everyday like this but not uncommon. My point is on share or buying timber higher risk higher reward..

BurkettvilleBob

Dan, you found a person with a buncher, that's good, I remember you were kicking that idea around last month. How's it working out?

danbuendgen

Quote from: BurkettvilleBob on September 27, 2016, 04:12:07 AM
Dan, you found a person with a buncher, that's good, I remember you were kicking that idea around last month. How's it working out?

Yeah, there are a few of them around here for hire. On decent ground with good marking, they can lay down 1-2 log truck and pup trailers a hour. Having all the trees pointed the right way makes a big difference. This way, it's a piece of cake to pull big hitches with a cable skidder. The job I'm no now is very steep. It's a challenge to get a good hitch with out screwing round a bunch. The trees all are leaning down hill, so they need to get pulled out by the tip. So that means pulling cable up hill through the brush and the tips brush each other in. It's painful to deal with. With the buncher, all the trees are together pointed in the right direction. I pull the cable 5'-10' and have 6-10 trees behind me. So I would say it's the way to go. I'm going to have a felling machine come out to every job for now on. Much faster, and less dangerous. I swear a lot less this way, work is less stressful, hands down the way to go! Worth the money for sure. If the buncher works for a day, there is enough wood on the ground for me to work for a week!

BurkettvilleBob

That's good it's working well, have you been using the forwarder too, or just skidding full length?

Fokke

Hello all from Serbia. It's interesting for me to read about the rates in the US.

If you are interested, here's how it works in my country. All the work is done by chainsaws and tractors with a winch, bulldozers are sometimes employed to make a road through the woods. Very rarely we see bigger machinery.

If you are a worker you get paid by day
15 to 20 € basic pay for pulling the winch cable, tying the logs, loading/unloading logs (by hand) and working with owner's chainsaws.
25 to 30 € for your own chainsaw and equipment. Some very capable fallers charge up to €40
25 to 35 € to operate owner's tractor and winch.

If you have your own operation, it varies a lot. Firewood is sold by cubic meter and your earning depend on the quality and quantity of wood you cut.
Bulldozer is €50 per hour.

danbuendgen

Quote from: BurkettvilleBob on September 27, 2016, 08:43:31 AM
That's good it's working well, have you been using the forwarder too, or just skidding full length?

I skid to the truck landing. Hate to say it, but we ended up selling the forwarder last week. It just was not the right fit at least for now with lousy markets, plus I have a fair amount of payments as it is. Having it around did not bring up production at all. And it was a very expensive mouth to feed. I had a forwarder for 2 years, a Franklin and the Rottne, and no doors opened up. I had all these foresters (two years back) the said if I had a forwarder they could/would set me up with all kinds of good jobs.... well long story short, that never happened. When I look at the hourly operating cost of my 240 and a forwarder, the forwarder is 3x the operating cost, for no more production. If I had a few guys working with me and the forwarder could go back and forth all day long I think I could make it work. But I work alone 75% of the time, and can only do one thing at a time. So unfortunately it had to go. My 240 will pull 2000 feet of pine, the forwarder moves 2500 feet of pine. So it moves 500 more feet, but has 3x the cost. For a small (micro) operation, it pays to keep it small. The feller buncher is working out well. With the money I made selling the forwarder I plan to invest more into my firewood operation and less into logging.

Thank You Sponsors!