Anchor seal

Started by Bruno of NH, September 24, 2016, 09:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I got an unopened 5 gal pail at a yard sale for $5 bucks
The guy said it was 10 years old but stored inside
Is it still good ?
Thanks Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

tnaz

I really don't know, but I believe I would take to a paint store or some where that has a paint shaker and asked them to shake it really good?

WV Sawmiller

I'm betting it is fine but agree mixing it might be a good idea. I bought one of those 5 gallon mixers that goes on my drill and I like it. If it was mine that's what I'd use. If you are worried about it you can send it to me and I promise to send you a a detailed after action report. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Okrafarmer

Is there anything in it that really degrades? I hope not, I have about ten-15 gallons of it sitting in a barrel in my storage shed, just in case I accidently start messing with logs again!  :-X
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

scsmith42

As long as it hasn't been allowed to freeze you should be ok.

Once it freezes it degrades.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: scsmith42 on September 24, 2016, 11:15:49 PM
As long as it hasn't been allowed to freeze you should be ok.

Once it freezes it degrades.

Uhoh.

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-X  :-\  :-\  :-\  :-\  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :embarassed:  :embarassed:  :embarassed:  :embarassed:  :embarassed:  :snowball:  :snowball:  :snowball:  :snowball:
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

customsawyer

This is why I always order mine with the antifreeze.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

I have to assume mine froze over winter in the storage shed, at least one year, maybe two. Now I'm glum. Is it still of any use, or is it useless?

AlaskaLes

Mix it up and paste a coat on something...you'll know if it's still good.
If it blends up and isn't chunky or gritty, I'd say it's still usable.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

4x4American

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 25, 2016, 11:23:21 PM
I have to assume mine froze over winter in the storage shed, at least one year, maybe two. Now I'm glum. Is it still of any use, or is it useless?

I didn't know it gets below freezing down there  :D
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: customsawyer on September 25, 2016, 07:19:32 AM
This is why I always order mine with the antifreeze.

Good to know, I didn't know it can come with that. 

Around here, many of the concentration yards have many 55 gal drums of anchorseal kicking around...and shade dri, log savers, etc. 

Anyways, I was wondering how the big boys kept all them anchorseal drums around if they are no good after freezing
Boy, back in my day..

Okrafarmer

Quote from: 4x4American on September 26, 2016, 06:16:35 AM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 25, 2016, 11:23:21 PM
I didn't know it gets below freezing down there  :D

Sometimes for a day or two in a row. :)

4x4American

it was below freezing here this morning.  Nice and chilly the way I like it
Boy, back in my day..

AlaskaLes

We're right at 32 this morning also.  Haven't seen ice in the puddles yet.
Just starting to think about acting like Winter.
I wonder if I've got the antifreeze kind.  It stays indoors just in case.

I've just started a week of work with a 30,000lb excavator to clear stumps, expand the sawmill pad, dig a big pile of free gravel, expand the firing ranges and straighten out a few corners on our trail that the log trailer barely clears.  Judging by the progress in just 2 hours last night...it's going to be a great week!
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

4x4American

Just had a customer call on an existing order of 2mbf white oak and ask me to anchor seal the log ends before I saw them.  He said he would pay for 1/3 of the 55gal drum.  So I just called anchorseal and ended up ordering a 5 gal pail instead just because I dont wanna sink a bunch of money into anhorseal when were enteringthe season where we wont need it.  So my question is, if I spray it on, do you think 5 gallons will coat 2,000 bdft?
Boy, back in my day..

petefrom bearswamp

My experience and dont ask me how i Know is that if it freezes it will get chunky
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

4x4American

I got the "winter blend" from them, they mix it that way no extra charge for 5gal pail, and for 55 gal drum it only adds $20,000
Boy, back in my day..

jmouton

i  cant tell if  customsayer  is pulling our leg or you can really get antifreeze in the anchorseal,,,   ,maybe you can ,,,,,hmmmmmm

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

4x4American

Quote from: jmouton on September 26, 2016, 08:01:28 PM
i  cant tell if  customsayer  is pulling our leg or you can really get antifreeze in the anchorseal,,,   ,maybe you can ,,,,,hmmmmmm

jim

Yea no you can I talked with Bianca today, and I think she likes me  ;)
Boy, back in my day..

jmouton

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

scsmith42

UC Coatings sells Anchorseal II, but most of us use Anchorseal Classic (the original formula).  It is available in either summer or winter mix (the Antifreeze add-in as Jake mentioned).  Winter mix used to sell for a little bit more than summer.  Winter mix is all that I buy.

As others have indicated, summer mix - once frozen, becomes chunky.  If the product that you purchased is still fluid and not chunky, you should be good to go (as it could have originally been a winter mix product).
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

4x4American

I got the Anchorseal II in green...it was cheaper and uses kelp as a fundamental component to the molecular arrangements
Boy, back in my day..

Okrafarmer

Mine is green, I like to show environmentalists that I mill green logs. Of course I usually mill green logs, whether they have anchorseal on them or not.

4x4American

I'm willing to bet you just like to make the logs okra colored!
Boy, back in my day..

clintnelms

What's the difference between the anchor seal classic and anchor seal 2 as far as as performance goes? Are there any advantages or disadvantages over one or the other?

Thank You Sponsors!