iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

193T or 201 TC M

Started by The Diesel, September 22, 2016, 10:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Diesel

I am looking at top handles.  I can get the 193T for $289 and the 201 TC M for $539.  Both new at my local dealer.

Is the extra $250 for the power and M Tronic worth it for the 201 TC M?  I am not a commercial tree cutter but do use the saws regularly on the acre around my house and my hunting farm.  Plan to use in trees and for trails on the ATV.

I am not interested in any other brands because my local dealer is Stihl and he has very good prices and service.

joe_indi

The 193 would be more suitable for you. We even have pros using them here and except for the occasional pickup body, starter rope and fuel primer replacement (minor) they really keep going. So go for that 193 and take the better half out for dinner with the money saved.  ;D
Joe

ladylake

The 201t is a way better built saw with lots more power.  Eat at home and spend the extra bucks now, in the long run you'll be glad you did plus better resell with the 201t.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sawguy21

I agree with Joe. The 201T is a fine saw in the hands of a professional but expensive overkill for the casual user.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

joe_indi

This is from Stihl's 1999 Product Information Guide (aka PIG). Later editions are not so informative.

Ianab

The 193T is designed for your intended part time use. It will do everything you need, and you aren't going to wear it out with that light use.

The 201T is a professional grade saw, and yes it's better built and more powerful. If you are hanging on the end of a rope in a tree every day that matters.

If you are just gardening and trimming some trees off trails at the weekend, the cheaper saw will do the job just fine.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jazzbery

I would try for a used 020t or 200t in good shape. One of Stihls all time greats. Super sought after by pros.

Ada Shaker

I'd personally look for a rear handled saw but I know the top handles are more compact for atvs. I'd hate to come across a decent fellen tree across the trail with a small saw. The bigger one would be more apt at clearing a path, if thats what your intending, it just has that bit extra grunt. Just watch out, their harder to control if you get kick back. Then again, it just depents on the size of trees endemic to your area.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

The Diesel

I have a Stihl MS362CM so for the small saw I want a top handle.  I bought rope climbing gear and plan to remove an American elm that has elm disease in my yard and prune a bunch of oak trees to get the growth off the trunk and take some lower limbs off some hickory trees to get more sun in yard.

I have worked up in trees before but just using a ladder or using a ladder to get in and than harness off (it is obviously more dangerous to use a ladder for tree work which is why I bough the rope gear). Plus i am going to use the rope gear for hanging my deer tree stands. I am tempted to buy the 193T just because it is $289 vs $539 but I have heard there is a big difference between the two saws.

ladylake

Stihl labels the 192  193t as a pro saws but they have the same build quality as a MS170, the 201t is a good pro built saw.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ada Shaker

If I were a young buck, I'd consider the better saw as it should last me a life time. If I were over 50, I'd consider the other saw and hope it would see me the 20 or so years I'd have left in me.  Just food for thought.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

ladylake

A 193t is really light but a 201t will cut almost twice as fast. If only used for 4" limbs and under it wouldn't matter much.  Steve

HolmenTree

Here's a entertaining video showing what production is expected from a professional top handle saw.
This is the Stihl MS 200T, the predecessor of the MS201.
No one makes a saw action video like August Hunicke  ;D

https://youtu.be/xswwZW04hMs
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DonT

I run a 200T and a new husky electric for my climb saws.I do not think a top handle saw is a great choice for any type of ground work.If you are not going to use it full time climbing I would buy the 193t and save the dollars to take a tree entry course so you can do away with the ladders.

The Diesel

No more ladders for me.  I bought rope climbing gear and been practicing up in the trees in my yard.  Been using my 18 volt ryobi chainsaw doing some pruning.  I was up probably about 50 feet so far.  Still getting used to it.  I insert the climb line with throw weight and use a lanyard.  Really pretty easy to climb just have to get comfortable with the height and trust in my saddle.......  I have been using a 2ND lanyard that i wrap around tree and attach to bridge as safety.  I just slide the loop as i move up or down.  Just got some micro pulleys to tend the hitch.

I have just been watching all the videos on youtube.  Alot of good stuff out there.

Still on fence on saw.  We use them pretty hard for firewood but not everyday.  I wish I could try them.......

HolmenTree

Diesel,
Top handle saws are not designed for ground work. I'm not sure if you're dedicated to firewood or breaking into arborist work.
My experience is arborist tree service work is much more profitable then firewood sales so you have to get your priorities straight.
I suggest you take a hands on 2 day ArborMaster, ArborCanada or North American Training Solutions climbing and work positioning training course. Best investment you could ever make.
Always remember you need to be tied in twice when cutting aerial in a tree with a chainsaw.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

The Diesel

Thank you Holmen.  I am going to check into a class.  I am 40 and have a job as a paper pusher so no plans to try and make money cutting trees. I live in chicago area and have .75 acres around my house with alot of trees and have 1000 acres in Jo daviess county IL that I hunt (i am going to used for pruning trees around my stands) on so it is more of a hobby.  I like to do things myself.  I have a throw line up in an oak tree in my back yard that I just leave and every few days I pull in my climb line and hook myself in and climb and advance.  I actually am a scaredy cat so I am tied in 3 ways when I climb.  I have my climb line, a lanyard, and another rope that I wrap around the tree in a noose and have hooked into my belt that I move up as I go.  I have used my battery chainsaw to do some trimming but not a gas saw.  I was considering putting a 16" bar on my 362CM and trying that.  I am still trying to convince myself my saddle wont give.  Just have to get used to it..........

As with anything it takes time and experience

The Diesel

Thanks for replies.  I ended up buying 193t 14" bar for $289.  Used it some this morning and it is pretty peppy.  Tomorrow I am planning to cut down an American elm.

I may muffler mod it when warranty is up but I was cutting some decent size hickory logs to test it and it cut well.  Went through one tank of gas so still needs to be broke in.

Nice little saw.  Happy so far.....

Texas-Jim

You stole that 193, 289 is below cost to a dealer. Some one made a boo boo.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

ScottAR

Agreed. I paid more for my 192.  I too had the same choice to make and I went with the smaller of the two.

Is the 200 series more saw? yes but I'm not a pro and speed is not as much an issue as lightweight in my case. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

The Diesel

$289 is normal price at my dealer.  They had 2 on display and 10 in back.  Same for all saws.  They are one of biggest dealers in country.

alabama

Quote from: Ianab on September 23, 2016, 01:37:41 AM
The 193T is designed for your intended part time use. It will do everything you need, and you aren't going to wear it out with that light use.

The 201T is a professional grade saw, and yes it's better built and more powerful. If you are hanging on the end of a rope in a tree every day that matters.

If you are just gardening and trimming some trees off trails at the weekend, the cheaper saw will do the job just fine.

Let me ask a donut question? Is the 193T and the 201T opted for in tree use only or can you use it on the ground? I have a small MS180C that I've used on the land cutting small limbs and sorts but it truly feels under powered.
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

Al_Smith

You can use any top handle on the ground if you want to .I have no idea who came up with the idea it's unsafe .Now I prefer a small rear handle for small ground  work but I've certainly used top handles too .They are as safe as the operator who is  running them .

alabama

What I like about the 193T and the 201TC M is how compact it is. I run a ATM on the land and can just toss it in. I don't have either just yet but was looking at but this afternoon while I was purchasing my MS661.

I'd love to hear what others think about the two listed above. One is far more expensive but the old saying is always true in most cases, you get what you pay for! But I've never operated either and have a small MS180C and it is truly under powered for what I have used it for in the past. It is light though and I'll give it that!
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

hamesadam

Quote from: alabama on February 03, 2017, 11:06:32 PM
What I like about the 193T and the 201TC M is how compact it is. I run a ATM on the land and can just toss it in. I don't have either just yet but was looking at but this afternoon while I was purchasing my MS661.

I'd love to hear what others think about the two listed above. One is far more expensive but the old saying is always true in most cases,you get what you pay for! But I've never operated either and have a small MS180C and it is truly under powered for what I have used it for in the past. It is light though and I'll give it that!

I found a nice video on this topic, I would like to share it. I've been using 193T for a long time and I recommend it to those who want to buy it.
Reviewing the 2 BEST chainsaws of 2021 - STIHL MS 194 T vs MS 201 TC-M - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!