iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine frame, what finish?

Started by alanh, September 22, 2016, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanh

I`ve mentioned  I`m building an open pavillion style  structure out from the house to shade the deck. The truss` and purlins are 6x6 pine that I milled with 4 degree blades and hit w/ 80 grit paper on the pad sander just to take the fuzzy off. I`m using 1x  pine for the ceiling/roof that will be planed smooth one side and v-matched tongue and groove. Question is what type and/or brand finish should i apply to attempt to keep the natural look and color. the truss are built and in the shop so I would like to apply the finish to them inside to have them ready. I`d like to do as much as possible before i arrange the crane guy.

Ox

I've been hearing exterior oil based paint base that doesn't have any tint added to it.  It looks cloudy but dries clear with all the properties of paint outside.  I haven't tried it personally.  I've also heard some places won't sell it un-tinted.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Brad_bb

If you want to keep the new wood look, I'd direct you to Permachink.  They supply finishes for log homes.  I've used their interior transparent white stain and clear.  Good stuff.  All of my outside wood I'm letting gray naturally.  With any finish you use on the outside, you will have to maintain it periodically.  The sun and elements are harsh.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

alanh

Thanks for the lead to permachink, after wasting time with the local paint stores I found them to be informative and the stuff works well.

alanh

Here is a pic of the truss with natural stain and the satin clear top coat, I used their exterior stuff even though it will have a roof.

Ox

1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

alanh

Well, it`s finally done... my wife said I`d never finish it before winter, Pfffft...proved her wrong, nailed the last ridge cap on a good seven hours before it snowed!
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/18098/pavillion~0.jpg?easyrotate_cache=

alanh

Czech_Made

Ox

That looks awesome, well done.

By the way...your wife is bragging to her friends that she got you to finish it before snow flew.  :D ;)

alanh

tareece

Super job... u ought to pat yourself on the back for that piece of artwork craftmanship!
Todd Reece
Lover of many things. Experienced in most... expert in few

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Thank You Sponsors!