iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for lessons in Timber framing in Georgia

Started by zbutler, January 04, 2017, 10:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zbutler

I'd like to learn about timber framing.  My search for classes in my area (Atlanta) have not turned up much, so I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in an apprentice helper.  I'm familiar with stick framing, but want some hands on with timber.  I'm self employed and have flexibility to be available to work.

I'm looking to build a simple weekend cabin soon.  Translation, my wife wants a luxurious weekend mountain house by next weekend.

zbutler

Oh and in the mean time is there a book on timber framing that folks here point to?

Jim_Rogers

Dan Reed is not far from Atlanta, and he's going to be doing some timber framing.

there are lots of books on timber framing. Most recent was a good one.

Written by one of my teachers who is a member here.

I have posted a list of book, here, if you do a search you should find them. I haven't updated it lately.

Good luck.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Roger Nair

Highland Woodworking has workshops that includes timber framing by Mike Goldberg, who is an excellent teacher and has long experienced with leading and teaching workshops.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

zbutler

I don't see any classes on framing listed on their site, but I'll contact them and see what they say.

zbutler

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 04, 2017, 10:32:24 AM
I have posted a list of book, here, if you do a search you should find them. I haven't updated it lately.

Good luck.

Jim Rogers

My search foo skills are lacking today and can't find your list.  If you have a link that would be handy.  Thanks.

Roger Nair

I see a listing for hand cutting m+t by Mike on 1-12-17.  Definitely call Highland. 
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

zbutler

I got an email back that the guy who teaches timber framing was injured and there would be no classes until he is well which might not be until fall.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: zbutler on January 04, 2017, 11:47:34 AM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 04, 2017, 10:32:24 AM

Good luck.

Jim Rogers

My search foo skills are lacking today and can't find your list.  If you have a link that would be handy.  Thanks.

Here it is:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,2946.msg49520.html#msg49520
as I said I haven't updated it lately.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad_bb

Check out timber frame HQ.  They just put up a list of schools that regularly teach timber framing.
http://timberframehq.com/timber-framing-101/schools/

Check out their podcasts too.  You can listen on your computer.
http://timberframehq.com/timber-frame-talk-radio/
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

zbutler

Dave Shepard

Either of Jack Sobon's books are great. I don't have Will Beemer's book yet, but it is sure to be great as well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

danreed76

We're getting back to work on our timber frame in the next week or so and will be working on it through the winter.  We've got lots of work left to do educational opportunities available!

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,93936.0.html

PM me with your contact information, be happy to catch up with you.

-Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Thank You Sponsors!