iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello 044!

Started by ReggieT, September 21, 2016, 01:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Well guys today marked the day I said, "adios" to my sometimes trusty 025 & the perpetual problem child Sachs Dolmar 116si (and my inability to decipher/troubleshoot it) and Hello to my Stihl 044!!
Not the cutest pup in the litter, but I'm ok with it.
Traded both saws and got back some decent cash.  8)
160 compression, starts on 2-3 pulls, 20 in bar w/full comp round file chain, 10 mm cylinder/flywheel and 12 mm piston/crank, everything else is OEM internally except crankshaft oil seals...cuts like a scalded dog!! smiley_clapping

I believe my CAD is satisfied now guys...I guess! ;) :D
I'm really going to dig in and learn this saw & my others as well.
Any advice on maintaining & potential problems with 044's?

Later,
Reg

Jazzbery

sandsawmill14

i havent run a 044 in several years now but the one i run was a great saw :) keep the screws tight oil mix right (40:1 imo) and air filter clean and it should run a long time :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Ada Shaker

If you put it through the wash a few times it'll come out in its true colours.  :D
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

gspren

My 044 has been going strong for over 20 years with just routine maintenance. When did 044's have flippy caps?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

ZeroJunk

Wow . Frankensaw. Cool.

Logger RK

If you happen to break the rear handle/gas tank,the replacement has the flippy cap.  Or at least from my Sthil Dealer ::)

ReggieT

Quote from: logger RK on September 21, 2016, 08:45:43 PM
If you happen to break the rear handle/gas tank,the replacement has the flippy cap.  Or at least from my Sthil Dealer ::)
:D smiley_clapping

ReggieT

Quote from: ZeroJunk on September 21, 2016, 06:59:33 PM
Wow . Frankensaw. Cool.
Hey it dispatched some 4 yr old hedge and green shag-bark hickory like Frankenstein for real today...almost "Childs Play!"
I'm impressed...my Stihl tech said, "it can't be much faster than yer MS390!"  ::) ::)
No wonder he sells about 10 saws a year and hustles hamhocks out the back door!  ;) fiddle-smiley
LOL

sandsawmill14

i let a tree get on my 038 :( busted the tank so now it has the flippy caps with a plastic tank it fit perfect far as the frame but i had to put a couple of extra bends in the throttle linkage to get it to work its still not perfect but it is usable. some of the 038 had the plastic tank from the factory but mine was one of the older ones that had the aluminum tank :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

DeonV

Hey guys..!
Greetings from sunny South Africa. I'm not sure of protocol here, I'm a new member on the forum and am not sure if there is an introduction page on the forum for "noobs"

The old 044 is an absolute legend! I have one in almost mint condition which I use mainly at speed-cutting events here in SA. She's old, but she still shows some of the youngsters how its done!!
ReggieT's 044 is one of the original first production units with the floppy air filter....now those are scarce!

dougand3

Welcome, DeonV. Just jump in and add to the conversation like you're doing.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

ehp

I won quite a few cutting contest with the early 044 in the 0-70 cc class, they cut very well

Thank You Sponsors!