iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hi Everyone

Started by FlyBigSky, September 20, 2016, 10:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyBigSky

I have a couple of questions about my Harbor Freight Sawmill.

1. Is there a digital Laser measuring device that can be mounted on my saw head? I would like a device that I can zero out before the cut and go to the dimension I want to cut as I lower the sawmill head.

2. Are there any parts available to modify my sawmill so that I can raise and lower the sawmill head by way of electric motor instead of the hand crank?

Magicman

No answers from me but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, FlyBigSky.

The fabricators will come along with suggestions.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DDW_OR

FYI - i spent a couple minutes looking at the mill online:
for the price you may want to buy a second mill. take the two beds and connect them together.
save the second head for parts.

here is a photo of the digital encoder that Timberking uses with the setworks computer.

"let the machines do the work"

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, FlyBigSky!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

plowboyswr

Quote from: FlyBigSky on September 20, 2016, 10:29:25 AM
I have a couple of questions about my Harbor Freight Sawmill.

1. Is there a digital Laser measuring device that can be mounted on my saw head? I would like a device that I can zero out before the cut and go to the dimension I want to cut as I lower the sawmill head.

2. Are there any parts available to modify my sawmill so that I can raise and lower the sawmill head by way of electric motor instead of the hand crank?

In answer to you questions #1 Can't help you with. #2 Yeah a small electric winch (like for a fourwheeler) can be used to raise and lower the head and when I get my bracketing figured out I will post some pictures. Going to be bolting to the main frame running the cable up and over using the existing pulleys and back to the original bracket on the frame. Then will come the battery holder and charging system. Also if you haven't done it yet take your push handle and move it up to the top cross bar. this will gain you 4-6 inches of height on the head. there are a couple of threads on these little mills just type it into the search bar above and make sure to have it on this board not this thread.  ;)
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

never finished

The answer to #1 is yes. Grizzly tool used to sell them. Do a search on digital read out here on the forum. Grizzly don't sell them any more, but once you figure out what your looking for you can find one on ebay. I can't do the picture thing or I would show you mine. About $50 and well worth it. 

Kbeitz

I used a hand winch powered with a wheelchair electric motor.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

FlyBigSky

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I'll be checking out the leads for sure.

Kbeitz

These 3 items work well together.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandsawmill14

i put a electric winch on my hudson mill and it works great i just used the controls that came with the winch it even has a remote  :)
far as the laser they make it but it will cost more than the mill ultrasonic can be used to but not much cheaper the digital readout that was mentioned work but the more you spend the better you will like it  :-\ i have tried 2 and cant get one that doesnt lose track of where it is before the log is finished  :( not saying someone doesnt make one but the ones for planers and such cant handle the vibration of a mill at least mine couldnt :) the encoder is the best bet but you have to have a digital read out to know where your at  :) good luck  and welcome to the forum :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

FlyBigSky

Thanks everyone. I knew this would be a great place to get some answers on these things. I haven't had time to look yet, but I will be searching on Ebay and Amazon for some of these things you all have suggested here. I'll post what I come up with.
I found this sliding scale today. It's not laser though. I actually need one that will constantly read the distance to the top of the log.

http://s10.postimg.org/5stnfzo15/Screen_Shot_2016_09_22_at_9_30_50_AM.png

tnaz

Welcome from Fl FlyBigSky.

Sixacresand

Hi FlyBigSky.  Welcome to the Forum. I had WM LT10.  It had a air assist lift cylinders but it was still hard for me with a back to raise the mill head.  I created and installed a hand cranked winch, which worked great. 

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

goose63

Hay BigSky is the talking berd saloon still in St Regis?

Welcone to the F F
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

kelLOGg

Quote from: FlyBigSky on September 22, 2016, 11:17:36 AM
Thanks everyone. I knew this would be a great place to get some answers on these things. I haven't had time to look yet, but I will be searching on Ebay and Amazon for some of these things you all have suggested here. I'll post what I come up with.
I found this sliding scale today. It's not laser though. I actually need one that will constantly read the distance to the top of the log.

http://s10.postimg.org/5stnfzo15/Screen_Shot_2016_09_22_at_9_30_50_AM.png

This looks identical to the unit that several of us (including me) bought a couple of years ago. It worked great in the warmer weather but eventually gave erratic readings in cold weather (< 35 to 40 deg). It wasn't the battery! To verify the erratic nature of it I put my unit in the house where it was ~70 deg and voila - it gave a stable reading again. They are designed for a heated shop. Other FFers have reported the same observations. Search for DROs in the FF search tool. I ended up giving it away to a friend. If you buy one, definitely ask if it for cold weather operation and you live where it is a lot colder than I.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

FlyBigSky

Quote from: goose63 on September 22, 2016, 06:39:34 PM
Hay BigSky is the talking berd saloon still in St Regis?

Welcone to the F F
Yes, I believe it is still there. I have never been inside it though.

FlyBigSky

This is the only thing I've found. I contacted the seller and asked what the operating temp range is on this unit. I'm surprised that is not listed in the specifications. I'm betting he will confirm what you guys said about not working in the cold. We have plenty of cold weather here in Montana as you know, so it probably won't work here much of the year like you mentioned above. I guess I'm stuck for now with the Neandrathal Scale that comes on the mill.

Q:  I'm surprised this site doesn't let us host photos from our computer. The only way I see to do it is to pre-host them somewhere else and post the link on here.

Q:  I am not receiving email notifications from this site, and I have not found that is settings any place. Any advice on that?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-LCD-Digital-Readout-Read-Out-DRO-Table-Magnetic-Remote-for-Milling-Machines-/331590534969?hash=item4d34560739:g:tOMAAOSw9N1Vi4Cb

OFFSITE IMAGES NOT ALLOWED

pineywoods

Quote from: FlyBigSky on September 24, 2016, 09:57:46 AM

I'm surprised this site doesn't let us host photos from our computer. The only way I see to do it is to pre-host them somewhere else and post the link on here.

You are about half right. No pics directly in the post, but each user has an exclusive gallery on here to pre-host them. That way they don't dis-appear, and the post size is kept down to a reasonable storage size. Plus you can browse other users pic gallery, lots of good viewing...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

Quote from: FlyBigSky on September 24, 2016, 09:57:46 AM

Q:  I'm surprised this site doesn't let us host photos from our computer. The only way I see to do it is to pre-host them somewhere else and post the link on here.

HOW TO POST PHOTOS

Q:  I am not receiving email notifications from this site, and I have not found that is settings any place. Any advice on that?
QuoteYou don't get notified automatically on anything. You have to select to be notified on the post or board, and you can manage your notifications from within your profile.

And by the way, you can't "Host" photos from your own computer anywhere. If you try, only you can see them, and if anyone else can see them on your computer, you have some serious security issues.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

FlyBigSky

I'll have to try and figure out how to put pics in my albums. I've never had to do that on any of the many forums I've been on, so just have to figure that out. Thanks for the reply.

Jeff

This isn't any of the many forums you have been on. It is the Forestry Forum.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kbeitz

One way It can be done... You can take time laps pictures and post it as a video
on youtube and past a link here.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Why try to bypass a system that works so well here on the Forestry Forum?   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!