iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I don't only saw lumber.......

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 19, 2016, 08:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffGrid973

No joke, gentleman branded "organic firewood" on my way up to Vermont when I passed by. Rumor was he gets $50 more per cord.   

Now Organic Gourmet Firewood "perfect for stickering" would easily go for , I am thinking ballpark $300 :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

4x4American

You guys might be joking around but this guy is serious- seriously raking in some big bucks selling "Seasoned Gourmet Firewood".  He also has accounts with local restraunts, one of them being Rachael Ray.  He is a very smart businessman.  I did a portable job for him over the winter time and he was great to work for.  He provided me 5-6 people to work for me each day, and he paid me promptly.  He is in Saratoga, which has a lot of the horse track gambling type folks and I guess they keep him busy.

Check out his website:
http://seasonedgourmetfirewood.com

I am in an aerial drone video somewhere there
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

There was a local guy here that had a wood fired pizza place. I saw the wood he was using. Looked just like a grade stake,about 2 feet long. I never got a chance to ask him,but I bet they was kiln dried too. Better than just throwing in radom size pieces,he was the type that would know how many "grade stakes" to throw in to get so much heat.
Gourment firewood that could be relabeled pizza wood.  ;D Probably all the same kind of wood,so he knew how much 2-3 sticks would produce for heat. Kinda hard to be making pizza and have no idea how much heat you are producing in the oven.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

plowboyswr

Quote from: 4x4American on September 20, 2016, 01:24:10 PM
You guys might be joking around but this guy is serious- seriously raking in some big bucks selling "Seasoned Gourmet Firewood".  He also has accounts with local restraunts, one of them being Rachael Ray.  He is a very smart businessman.  I did a portable job for him over the winter time and he was great to work for.  He provided me 5-6 people to work for me each day, and he paid me promptly.  He is in Saratoga, which has a lot of the horse track gambling type folks and I guess they keep him busy.

Check out his website:

At 1:19 your sawmill is visible, but looks like the covers are still on. At 2:18 you're at the controls. ;D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 20, 2016, 08:34:38 AM
Dave,

I'm confused (again). Did I understand you chainsaw to length then the split with the mill? Looks to me like here would be firewood pieces scattered all over the yard. I'd have thought you'd have to split then saw to length. Please confirm.

I take the logs of choice.
Put it on the mill and saw my thickness in slabs. I like to saw 3 inch slabs.
Turn as many slabs as I can on edge and clamp.
Then I chainsaw the slab every 20 inches as far down as I choose.
Then I slowly run the blade through the slabs.
Instant firewood. With a sharp blade, each piece stays in place.
I saw about 3 rows then turn the mill off and take the firewood and stack it in the backhoe bucket or put it in my trailer.
What I like is, I never have to stoop over.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

bkaimwood

It's good to see I'm not the only weirdo here...I mean that in a good way...
bk

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bkaimwood on September 20, 2016, 08:42:44 PM
It's good to see I'm not the only weirdo here...I mean that in a good way...

As soon as I saw this guy take the pair of scissors and clip that"hair" off that stick of firewood.....
I was outta here!  smiley_horserider

Magicman

Yup, I leave every time that clip gets re-posted.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

I know a guy that heat treats his firewood before it goes to local restaurants. This started after a big blacksnake crawled out of one load.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tree Dan

Hes pulling your leg guys :new_year: :snowball:...He really stacks it on a 45

Im going to start this very soon great Idea 8)
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

drobertson

Well there are more than two weird and deplorable fire wood   craftsmen out in the sticks, now I surely won't clip off a stray strand, but I do marvel at some incredible quarter split grain,  and at just the right moment, the rays and flecks take on a life of their own.  Just gotta be their,  haa, haa!!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

alanh

at the risk of committing sawmill blasphemy, after reading this I`ve adopted this method for cutting my 4 cords of gourmet firewood.. eliminates crawling around on the ground getting stuff to the splitter, I got two cords done and dumped in the shed without even getting dirty... or tired

kelLOGg

So, if I got this right, I can rub ginger on my firewood, trim the splinters and sell each piece for $1200.00? DanG, why did I go to school?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

dgdrls

Quote from: 4x4American on September 20, 2016, 01:24:10 PM

Check out his website:

Is that you sawing with the 40 around the 2:18 mark??

D

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

dustintheblood

Too funny guys.

We have been doing that around here for about 10 years.  Specifically for the outdoor wood boiler that heats the kiln.  It's a great way to quickly whack down the big gnarly logs into chunks that are the right diameter (or square) (or triangle).

Sometimes it makes a great relief not to think about cutting or even looking at the scale.  Just guestimate the cut and go like heck. 

It does save a ton of time when prepping the boiler wood.

As I do the outer big slabby chunks, they get cut a bit shorter for the house woodstove.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!