iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to Charge

Started by flattail, September 19, 2016, 06:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flattail

I have a coworker that wants some cedar for posts for a coral he's building.The cedar is his and all I'm doing is squaring them up.I don't want to gouge him but I'd like to make some extra money as well.I was thinking 4 bucks a log he has 20-30 of them.

xlogger

too  cheap, I'll pay you that to cut my cedar posts and be happy.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WV Sawmiller

I'd charge my hourly rate. I get $60/hr but $4 each is not unreasonable. I'd remind the guy to cut all limbs off right next to the trunk so they saw faster with less time to clamp and level.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I charge "hourly rate" for ERC sawing.  This also takes care of sawing the logs that were rotten inside and did not square up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I'd suggest hourly, small logs mean extra handling!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Depends on the length and diameter too,  will there be outside lumber?  Seems like theres  always some, who gets it and for how much?  I've sawed for that price, four cuts and done, the last job had small cedar, on these I got two good faces, on the last two babied out some 1" he was happy
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodman58

This saturday I will be cutting 27 cedars into 6x6 posts 12 ft. long. They are large but he does not want any side lumber. I gave his a set price of $400.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

ozarkgem

4x4x8 =10.6 bf about .40 a bf you are charging. Normally that would be a good price but Cedar takes a little longer. If its a friend you will be OK. 5.00 each would not be out of line. Is he going to help? That will make a big difference on time. Normally I would do something like that by the hr.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

flattail

thanks guys for all the advice.Not only do I work with this guy we are  also friends and have hunted and fished together.I can have all the side lumber as well.

never finished

That's a hard one flattail. You and only you can solve this one. I have one friend I would saw for a week for free. I would still owe him a lot of favors. How ever, the price you mentioned, is a fair buddy deal. I even do those every once in a while.  Some times I'll price at the top of the scale and then give them a break if all goes well. Dennis

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: flattail on September 20, 2016, 07:01:30 PM
thanks guys for all the advice.Not only do I work with this guy we are  also friends and have hunted and fished together.I can have all the side lumber as well.

If you are getting the side lumber then I'd charge a piecework or bf price rather than an hourly rate. Not fair for you to charge him for time used sawing lumber you kept and extra time to do it IMO.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!