iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Country's Oldest White Oak

Started by lowpolyjoe, September 18, 2016, 09:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Anyone in the NJ area know anything about this?  I'm wondering what the plans are if it gets taken down.  It's very sad that it's time is coming to an end.  Might be nice if someone slabbed it up and made some nice tables for the church or town hall or something.   Would really be tragic if it all just goes in a chipper

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/a-town-tries-to-care-for-and-let-go-of-its-oldest-resident--a-600-year-old-oak/2016/06/27/a7fc4dcc-3a1a-11e6-8f7c-d4c723a2becb_story.html

red

The story was just on channel two CBS NEWS Sunday morning
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: red on September 18, 2016, 10:03:40 AM
The story was just on channel two CBS NEWS Sunday morning

Yeah,  I saw, that's what made me look for an article and post here  :).  I hope some skilled foresters are involved when it comes time for the tree to go.  And I hope some part of it lives on.  It's nice they collected acorns and I believe sold off saplings to raise money for the cemetery a while back.

Ox

What a neat story.  Thanks for sharing!  If only that tree could tell the stories it's seen...

Aren't the acorns/saplings an exact clone of the parent tree?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

drobertson

What a story! Never heard of this one, and it is sad, sure wish there was a way to graft some living sprouts along the upper limbs of the canopy, and get some juices back to f!owing,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

I doubt that it is the "oldest".  How could anyone know? Did someone go out and calculate the age of every white oak tree in the nation.  I understand that it is a grand old tree, but the oldest, sounds self-proclaimed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: Ox on September 18, 2016, 10:14:35 AM
Aren't the acorns/saplings an exact clone of the parent tree?

Good question - maybe some foresters/arborists can chime in?  I'm curious myself.

Quote from: WDH on September 18, 2016, 11:28:50 AM
I doubt that it is the "oldest".  How could anyone know? Did someone go out and calculate the age of every white oak tree in the nation.  I understand that it is a grand old tree, but the oldest, sounds self-proclaimed. 

Yes, that's certainly a stretch to call it the oldest.  I'm not sure if that article said 'oldest in the country' but I think the TV piece mentioned that.  Sad story either way. 

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

Looks like it is dying like my old Champion Tree died:  LINK  A couple of years ago it was only one limb in the crown, and then another.  Finally there was nothing left to support any life or growth.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Sure is/was a great tree.  I read through all the comments, tho kind of annoying that they were going off on political bents.  I think the best idea was to cut it down and leave the stump/roots intact and let a new sucker tree grow up quickly from them.  And it would be a shame to not do something useful with the wood.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Chuck White

Sad to hear such stories, but good will come of it's off-spring!

Reminds me of a previous post on here, of the town that moved a "huge" tree a few years ago to make way for a highway project!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!