iDRY Vacuum Kilns

DanG Laptop

Started by Magicman, September 16, 2016, 08:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on September 18, 2016, 04:04:44 PMI hate to even think about the boot/startup procedure.   :-\
They seem to come empty and spend hours loading and updating stuff.  After that I will need to transfer all of my bookmarks.  I have done it before but who remembers such stuff?  I am sure that I can Google and find an easy way.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Czech_Made

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 19, 2016, 01:10:07 PM
Boot/Startup for Linux?  It's easy ;)

Or did you mean something else?

I'll admit, Linux isn't for everyone (don't pounce on me Penguin users!) as software installation isn't always the easiest (and how easy in my experience depends on versions used -- ie.e Debian vs RedHat vs SuSe etc)...but install is easy, bootup is easy, it comes with most of what you need (if not all) and never seems to crash ;)

+1 on Linux.

Magicman

I Googled Linus and all I got was confused  smiley_dizzy :

Technically, Linux is not an operating system. The Linux kernel, originally written by Linus Torvalds, is open source software that forms the basis for all Linux distributions.The kernel is the base layer of code that communicates down to the hardware and up to software packages that need access to the hardware. A Linux distribution combines the Linux kernel with additional software, including package managers, libraries and system tools, and user-level applications. Although most Linux distros include windowing systems and managers, some lightweight distributions contain only command-line interfaces, or CLI, as their desktop environments.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

I'd say Linux is not JUST an operating system.

The common distributions come with all sorts of open source software bundled in them already, for whatever the intended use is.

So if you pick a popular Desktop version like Mint it's set up to run as a regular desktop computer, very much like Windows. It will have Firefox web browser, Libre Office, a media player and all the normal desktop utilities you might need all ready to go. It's so simply you can actually run the whole system off a USB thumb drive without even installing it, and look so much like Windows that pretty much any user can find their way around it, often easier than with the different versions of Windows.

Other versions are more aimed towards acting as web servers, Internet firewalls, database servers etc. The majority of Internet is running on Linux of various flavors.

But if you just need a computer to use NOW, you just go and buy a new laptop and if has Windows pre-installed.

I'd leave Linux for a rainy day and an old PC that you want to have a play with.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

OlJarhead

I have Ubuntu on my old laptop (cabin laptop) and it was a very easy install (one reboot if that and done).  If you might want to try it, go to Ubuntu and download the file to burn onto a CD Rom (if you know how to do that?) and then boot off the CD Room (I can tell you how to do that too)....or try SuSe and use a USB drive but I think Ubuntu is better on laptops (or used to be).

By definition an 'operating system' is just what you described ;)  It's software that lets the hardware operate for the user.  Technically a 'DOS' is any hardware that operates the disk drive.  WinDoze is much like 'x-windose' in that it is just a GUI that interfaces with the DOS to allow the user to well, use the computer.  Windoze has a kernel too ;)  It's just not as good as Linux
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Magicman

The new laptop came while I was away sawing.  Oh my, I hate getting it setup.   :-\

Magicman

I seem to be going in circles.  I have not figured out a (simple) way to move my Firefox Favorites to the new laptop.   :-\

clearcut

I found this recent link to three methods, maybe one will work for you.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1137082

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Czech_Made

Quote from: Magicman on September 23, 2016, 09:57:48 AM
I seem to be going in circles.  I have not figured out a (simple) way to move my Firefox Favorites to the new laptop.   :-\

Show All Bookmarks, Import and Backup, Export Bookmarks to HTML - to get old ones  out

and reverse the process to get them back.

Magicman

Thanks all, I had already digested most of that, but I got sidetracked and am running a different rabbit right now.   Gotta figure out how to move/add my Reload/Refresh button to the left so that it will be beside the left & right arrows??   smiley_headscratch

Magicman

I ain't believing that this touchpad will not scroll.  I know that I bought cheap, but I never figured that they even made them without the scroll.  Of course PgUp/PgDn work, but it's certainly not what I am accustomed to doing.   :-\

clearcut

Are you using 2 fingers for scrolling? 
Is scrolling turned off in trackpad settings?

Magicman

Quote from: clearcut on September 23, 2016, 01:26:28 PM
Are you using 2 fingers for scrolling? 
I am now, but how the heck was I supposed to know that?  Thanks!!     :)

Now I gotta figure out how to move/add my Reload/Refresh button to the left so that it will be beside the left & right arrows??   That plus killing this McAffee.   ::)

I think that I have everything else in my Firefox/Addons done plus the Win10 shell. 

Magicman

The two fingers move the page instead of the the slider on the right which is a bit backwards from what I am used to, but it is OK.  I looked in the mouse/touchpad options but did not see any way to reverse it.  Actually I guess that it makes more sense anyway.  I am happy.   ;)

breederman

The things you learn here ! :) I havent been able to scroll since I bought this toshiba .
Together we got this !

thecfarm

I,us,never could get the 2 finger scroll with the wife's laptop. This was 5-6-7 years ago. We just was not forced to do it. A simple plug for one of the ports in the side and a mouse did it for us.
I have no idea what is out there now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clearcut

There are a number of useful "gestures" for controlling modern touchpads:

Scroll: Place two fingers on the touchpad and slide horizontally or vertically.
Zoom in or out: Place two fingers on the touchpad and pinch in or stretch out.
Right-click: Tap the touchpad with two fingers, or press in the lower-right corner.
Drag windows: Double-tap and drag the menu bar (top of app window)
See all open windows: Place three fingers on the touchpad and swipe them away from you.
Show Task view: If you're viewing all open windows (from the step above), swipe up again with three fingers.
Show the desktop: Place three fingers on the touchpad and swipe them towards yourself.
Switch between open windows: Place three fingers on the touchpad and swipe right or left.
Cortana/Action Center: Tap the touchpad with three fingers.

Many of these can be set in Touchpad Settings, or from the Touchpad's manufacture control panel (Synaptics is a common manufacturer)

Though I think my most common "gesture" towards Windows 10 is the 1 finger salute. :o

Magicman

So far (and with clearcut's help) I think that I am doing quite well.  Bookmark/Favorites are done, but I have not ejected McAffee yet.  There is no real rush because I can keep it for a year.  I also have to move MalWarebytes Pro (or whatever it is) to this laptop but I will have to find my key number, etc.  Last time I had to contact them for the OK.

The only issue that is still bugging me is moving that Reload/Refresh button to the left so that it will be beside the left & right arrows.  I did it on both the dead laptop and also on the still working laptop so I know that it can be done, I just do not recall how.

Magicman

I did it!!

I put me some "Flexible Space" in that area which allowed me to move the Firefox Refresh icon into that space beside the left arrow. 

I also have my old standby photo resizer installed so I can zip through uploading pictures into my FF Gallery.

A few more tweaks and it will feel like it is mine.  This old Fart is on a roll.   8)

Ox

Good news!  You're a tenacious "old Fart" aren't ya?  ;)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

OK, I am gonna like this new little laptop.  I intentionally a wanted one that was only 14".  The surprise was how thin and light it is, and also no heat.  There is not even a cooling fan.  There is also no disc drive.

With the Win10 shell and the Traditional Firefox, everything is exactly (well almost) like I am accustomed to.  The two finger drag will/is taking some practice.

Magicman

Yea, I got rid of the touchpad tap and turned my scroll direction around.  The different options are all in there, it just takes finding them and clicking the right button. 

Speaking of buttons, I accidentally turned off my "mouse" buttons.  Think about that mess.  I could move the arrow, but I could not click on anything, even the option to turn the buttons back on.  Thankfully I had a wireless USB mouse that I plugged up and used to turn my buttons back on.   ::)

Hopefully this journey will help someone else or at least let them know that them smart people ain't the only smart people especially when you have this FF following along and offering pointers.   smiley_thumbsup

Magicman

I downloaded Libreoffice, but Microsoft did not go down without a fight.  It slung everything that it had at me to try to prevent/discourage the download.  I will now try to open a saved Excel file from the other laptop and see what happens.

I also got the printer hitched up this evening so hopefully I will soon get this thing tuned up.

Magicman

I spent probably a couple of hours last night deleting and uninstalling Trojans and other stuff that had crept in while I was installing and downloading what I need.  Some of them did not go down without a fight either. 

Malwarebytes is a lifesaver and I should have installed it immediately after the first boot up.

DR_Buck

We went through the laptop replacement not to long ago.   Our 8 year old Dell Inspiron went belly up.    I was able to back up all the data from the old one which was good and we didn't lose anything.   

The Dell Inspiron series are fairly reliable and rugged laptops, so we stuck with them for the replacement.   And, for the record I think Windows 10 is the best operating System to come out of Microsoft.   We have 2 laptops, 3 desktops and one of the new HP systems with the computer built into the monitor and they all work great with Windows 10.   The 3 desktops were upgraded.  One from Windows 8 which sucked.  The other 2 desktops and the 2 laptops were from Windows 7.   Upgrades went flawless and it really didn't take much time to do it except on my one machine.   It has some unique hardware and I use a non-standard directory path for saving data that Windows has a minor issue with. 

Now tablets and Android operating systems, which I'm using now are a different beast........
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught