iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

picked up a new saw

Started by Deere80, September 16, 2016, 02:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deere80

last I night picked up a mint condition 026 now just got to put it to use.  Pulled muffler off to look at the piston and it looks new still so should have a lot of life before rebuild needs to be done.  I do not have a small saw so this will come in handy for the small things.

Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

ladylake

Nice light saw, the older I get the smaller my saws get.  Most times around the mill I'm using a real light 33c Echo that cuts real good, plus its a 1 pull starter after the first start in the morning.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

rjwoelk

I have had that saw since way back. It has done me well. Just changed the 16 inch blade to a 20, I think it cuts better.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Jazzbery

I have several Stihls and the 026 is the most used. Stihls smallest pro saw and one of their all time best. (024 is the same saw just a hair smaller)

Deere80

I had to order a new carb for it so waiting on that.  Wanted to use it this weekend but will have to wait.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Canadiana

What is a carb replacement expected to do that a carb kit will not? Save me the trouble of tuning? I have good luck or bad, no middle ground.
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Deere80

Canadiana,  it was 6 dollars more for the whole carb so it was worth it to me to just buy the carb instead of the kit.  Also the new carb had the high and low idle screws which the factory only had the one screw for both settings.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

khntr85

Very nice saw... I been wanting one for awhile now!!!

davidw

looks like you have a 026 "Pro" model, which means you have a decomp. button and adj. oiler.
I was given my father in law's saw which was new in 1990 and its a great saw. You may not need to use the decompression valve, but if your over 60 and have elbow problems it is much appreciated, I know it is on my MS 361.
Good luck with your "new saw" it should last for many years
David

Deere80

It doesn't have the decompression valve but it has the adjustable oiler.  There is a sticker that says 1991 on it so it is a 25 year old saw that has not been used much.  Last night I ran 2 tanks of gas through it and seem to work great so I am happy with the purchase.  Last week I stopped at the local pawn shop and picked up a rough running MS460 Magnum with a almost new 24" Stihl Bar on it for $100.  It was spitting gas out the exhaust and filthy as can be, so I spent 3 hours cleaning it up, cleaned/adjusted carb, new plug, fresh gas, and runs strong an idles like a champ now.  Piston and jug show no where so this weekend that one is going to get a work out.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

davidw

My mistake, I thought the hole in the top cover was where the decompression valve would be (my 026 does not have that).
A 460 and a 026, you have done real well!
David

Deere80

Your right, it looks like it should have it because the cover has the hole in it but it is not there.  The 026 worked great this weekend and got to break in the new jug and piston I just installed on my MS440. 
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

Jazzbery

Quote from: Deere80 on September 30, 2016, 11:15:52 AM
It doesn't have the decompression valve but it has the adjustable oiler.  There is a sticker that says 1991 on it so it is a 25 year old saw that has not been used much.  Last night I ran 2 tanks of gas through it and seem to work great so I am happy with the purchase.  Last week I stopped at the local pawn shop and picked up a rough running MS460 Magnum with a almost new 24" Stihl Bar on it for $100.  It was spitting gas out the exhaust and filthy as can be, so I spent 3 hours cleaning it up, cleaned/adjusted carb, new plug, fresh gas, and runs strong an idles like a champ now.  Piston and jug show no where so this weekend that one is going to get a work out.

Nice score! The compression release on a 026 is useless but the adjustable oiler is a plus.

Thank You Sponsors!