iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edgers

Started by BigZ La, September 15, 2016, 08:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigZ La

I looked at two edgers yesterday, one a two blade and the other a four blade. As strictly a hobby sawyer I'm thinking I would only use a two blade. I would assume the four blade would me more for dimensional lumber cutting. Suggestions and wisdom welcomed. Note these are older belt driven models.

paul case

I have had 3 used edgers.
The first was a corely with 3 blades. The blades had changeable teeth which were all rusted in. It was also made with one moveable on the go, however ti was stuck on the shaft and I was never able to get it to free up.

The second was a WM single blade edger. It worked real well. It had a 5 hp electric motor. I first had trouble getting blades for it. WM backordered them and they were gonna cost $135. I had a few used ones that came with it and took them for sharpening but they still didn't cut as well as I would like. I found a blade the right size at Lowes just a little thinner for $40. I had to put a little more kerf in the blade by setting the teeth some so it took out enough to get the board to go into the T bar past the blade. Blades were reasonably easy to change and changing board width was too. This edger taught me that many boards when cut down the middle want to move away from the guide so you have to keep them pushed back against it to avoid having a small end.

The third one I am currently using. works real well. It is a Baker circle board edger. More later
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

BigZ La

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward just getting the two blade as I can't see having a need for the four blade. I like wide boards, the wider the better  :D

DDW_OR

what is the price difference between the two?

you can always remove two of the four blades for most of your boards and still have the option of four blades. and this way you can use the removed blades as spares.
"let the machines do the work"

JB Griffin

We have a Baker two saw edger at work and its pretty good at times I wish for a third saw but if your hobby sawing two should be fine.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

millwright

I have an older Bellsaw 2 blade, it works good and they are fairly easy to find and not too high priced

Kbeitz

My neighbor has a very large one for sale and I really want one.
But I thing it would take at least a 4 cly engine to run it or a 3ph motor.
I don't want to get into something that big. Maybe I should buy it and trade
it for something smaller.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

BigZ La

Quote from: DDW_OR on September 17, 2016, 12:48:12 PM
what is the price difference between the two?

you can always remove two of the four blades for most of your boards and still have the option of four blades. and this way you can use the removed blades as spares.

I never thought about removing blades, good Idea  :D

As far as price I don't know what they are worth. He said to make him an offer so I thought about maybe $4-500. He said he wants to see them get used rather than they go to scrap. So I guess that's a good price.

Kbeitz

Wish I could find one at that price...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DDW_OR

Quote from: BigZ La on September 19, 2016, 08:42:11 AM
As far as price I don't know what they are worth. He said to make him an offer so I thought about maybe $4-500. He said he wants to see them get used rather than they go to scrap. So I guess that's a good price.

Where are the edgers located?

BigZ La please edit your profile to include where you are.
or at least what state, and i do not mean state of mind  8)

4x4American

I'm guessing the LA part stands for Louisiana, we shall see
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

And New Orleans is the "Big Easy".  (Big EZ)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BigZ La

I live in Louisiana on the river road between White Castle  and Donaldsonville.  I normally use Jeff La as my username on forums but this one wouldn't let me.  Big Z comes from what a couple guy at work used to call me as my last name starts with Z.

The edgers are about an hour from me and I happened on them by accident through a mutual friend. I guess the edger gods were looking out for me or I'm gonna get myself into more projects than I could possibly ever accomplish. Truth be know I'm there now  :D

DDW_OR

LA could have been Los Angeles = 750 miles
but it turned out to be Donaldsonville, La = 2,600 miles
too far to drive to get the edger you do not get.

Magicman

It could also be Lower Alabama.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

I had thought about it being LA also, but then I thought, what are the chances of someone having a sawmill in Los Angeles?  Unless it was Jed Clampett...but I doubt that Jed would be on the internet lol
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!