iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Solar Kiln Question

Started by cozynest, November 15, 2004, 04:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cozynest

Hey guys, I have a 1000 bdft solar kiln VA Tech design. I live in West central Indiana and from Thanksgiving to the first of march it is very slow at drying a 1000 bdft load. I've never tryed to dry a partial load but I got to thinking.. ::)..which is scarry at times...but why not a half load.  Seems with half the availible sun half a load makes sence. Any thoughts here!

Thanks, Steve
LT27G18; Kubota 3710

Fla._Deadheader

Ya can't run a dehumidifier to help remove moisture ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

cozynest

Well Fla._ I could, but the main advantage of running a solar unit is the cost of drying. Actually the unit does very well from april to about now. But as the sun sinks lower in the south the availble sun shine is about half and the heat gain is less. although it does dry in the dead of winter it just gets slower.

I have a load ( about 550 bdft) air drying now that I cut last week...I'm just tempted to throw it in.

thanks for your feed back!

Steve
LT27G18; Kubota 3710

Brad_S.

I was terrible at physics or whatever science we're dealing with here, so bear in mind I have no fact based idea what I'm talking about.  ::)   But, it would seem to me that if you ran a partial load, you would be cutting your thermal mass and thus reducing your ability to hold the energy/heat you picked up during the day, negating any gains from the half load? ???
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Fla._Deadheader

Kinda why I suggested the dehumidifier. Can't be "TOO" cheap drying that wood. ;D :D :D

We used to build small Solar "concentrators" and install them into windows on houses. You wood be amazed how much heat you get from a simple concentrator. ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Don_Lewis

It really isn't a good idea to mix dehumidification and solar if you are using the traditional solar design. There are a lot of reasons, control, drying rate, energy etc. Solar kilns have limitations based on the time of year and weather and that is something you have to live with. As for drying a smaller load to balance the reduced heat available, it makes sense from a solar energy input standpoint but I expect your cost of electricity for drying will be higher than a regular dh kiln because of the energy consumption of the fans.

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Don. I was figuring maybe use the DH(home size) to just help "Boost" the efficiency during cold winter days .  Didn't think it would make that much difference.

Guess that's why we have all you "Pro's " on here, to keep the rest of us out of trouble, EH ???  Thanks
   First, it is ridiculed;

cozynest

Thanks for all the input...after a quick inventory today I have 600bdft stickered. white oak, white hickory and cherry. I've never have mixed species before but I think I will go ahead and load it in the kiln tomorrow. The oak and the hickory has been air dried to 70% M.C. The cherry is down to 45% M. C. Tested with the microwave oven method.  It appears to be in good shape, I'll monitor the samples as I dry it down to make sure I don't pull more moisture out per day than recomended by Dr. Gene for each species. If I see I'm getting into trouble I can still tarp a percentage of the collector.  We will see how it goes and I'll report back my progress. Call it a learning experience!

Steve
LT27G18; Kubota 3710

Thank You Sponsors!