iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I made it out! Surgery

Started by drobertson, September 14, 2016, 04:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Saw the lights go out at 10:00 this morning, asked Christy when was I going in at 6:10 this evening! Wow! Walked at 10:30 this evening no walker but hands on the nurse's shoulders. Praise to the Lord! And many thanks to you all for the prayers, thoughts and encouraging comments!! Thanks!
David
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thechknhwk

Hope you heal up quickly and completely!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Now, that's some WONDERFUL news!  :)   8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

Thank you David for the update and it is good to hear that encouraging report.  Please keep us posted with your healing and therapy progress.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ed_K

It's the greatest feeling to be able to come out of surgery and walk  8) . Takes awhile to build the muscles back up,took me 3 weeks to get to where I could walk 1/4 mi.
Ed K

drobertson

Thanks guys! Just got done with tthr first official OT/PT.one went through the back brace,log roll out of bed, standing and walking, got 4 more laps today, the other gal, learned me how to you know the number 2, the proper way. And some other stuff around the house,  I got to say flat out, this is life changing no doubt bout it, not really sure what I'll do,
Whatever it is milling its not be back later with more progress reports
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jeff

Squatty potty eh?  ;)

Good to hear David.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

21incher

Great news, I hope you heal quickly. Thanks for the update.  8)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Mind your manners and follow the protocol.  Don't try to short cut your rehab.  Pretty soon, you will be running circles. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Great news!  Keep us updated.

SLawyer Dave

Hope the rest of your recovery is as smooth.   8)

drobertson

Quote from: WDH on September 14, 2016, 08:41:55 PM
Mind your manners and follow the protocol.  Don't try to short cut your rehab.  Pretty soon, you will be running circles.
I
Danny I tel you this doc leaves no room for fudging, he is very direct and to the point, not listening and following directions is not in the play book.  The results we be worth the change, crazy how time and events change courses in our lives.

customsawyer

Glad you made it out and are doing good.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

red

Eat sleep and go Fishing  you know the drill. Take the pain meds for now. A good attitude goes a long way. Yes flat out on your back to let everything heal . You got some non original parts in there . Factory remanufactured . Be strong my friend.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

drobertson

Made it home! Brutally painful, but home,

Magicman

It's good to hear that you are home.  Please keep us updated with your progress.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

red

Glad you are Home. You said in another thread that you will be sawing very soon while taking pain meds . Someone else said don't let a temporary recovery become a permanent result. If you need to move your sawmill to someone else's property , please do it . Do not go near that sawmill . Remember your taking some strong pain meds now. Keep us posted , get healthy. Slowly

Peter Drouin

Quote from: red on September 17, 2016, 05:33:27 AM
Glad you are Home. You said in another thread that you will be sawing very soon while taking pain meds . Someone else said don't let a temporary recovery become a permanent result. If you need to move your sawmill to someone else's property , please do it . Do not go near that sawmill . Remember your taking some strong pain meds now. Keep us posted , get healthy. Slowly

Ya, you fix your back, now use your head and let it heal. ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

trapper

Glad your feeling better.  don't overdo it.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Savannahdan

We'll keep the prayers going.  But, please, follow what the doc orders, do rehab/PT and stay away from things that don't help the healing.   
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

drobertson

Well I need to clarify right now, the mention of sawing under meds or not was a poor joke, I meant I would be sleeping sawing logs in the recliner, right now its a struggle to clean up a no. 2,, but thanks again to you guys for your thoughts and prayers and great advice! This just proves you all have the sawdust bug too!!! Lol hard to quit ain't it , you all know I'm thinking about it, but the mill has to go,

timberlinetree

Glad your healing. Be real careful of the pain meds.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

sandsawmill14

hate to hear your gonna have to quit  :(   maybe you can still do a little wood working or something :) far as the pain meds when i had my hand fixed the doc told me not to use them to prevent pain use them to stop the pain  so wait till your hurting before taking the next dose . he told me if you did it that way you would be surprised how soon you would be cutting back and no matter how strong of  pill they gave you it would cause no trouble if done that way where if you just took the max dose every 4 hrs you would think you needed it whether you did or not  :)  he also said dont sit there hurting because it slows the healing process good luck and hope you heal quickly :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

red

Your still in your first week . It's a long recovery so just concentrate on Walking . I mean walking around the house . Do you have any favorite Authors ?  Keep your mind busy . One day at a time .

red

Maybe you can explain exactly what was done during surgery. We know the first surgery /fusion had to be done again . This was major back surgery . You will not be moving around very much . Getting out of bed is a major chore.

bucknwfl

Glad to hear all is well. Keep up the hard work in rehab and recovering.  Me and Angie will be praying

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Ed_K

sandsawmill14 is right on, when I had my back surgery it took me a long time to understand this. That was the reason for getting hooked on the pain meds. because as soon as I felt the pain coming on I'd go right to the max dose. I thought the pain was going to be the same as before the surgery. I have also found that prune juice works better than pills for #2 problems.
Ed K

Czech_Made

Quote from: drobertson on September 14, 2016, 04:11:16 AM
Saw the lights go out at 10:00 this morning, asked Christy when was I going in at 6:10 this evening! Wow! Walked at 10:30 this evening no walker but hands on the nurse's shoulders. Praise to the Lord! And many thanks to you all for the prayers, thoughts and encouraging comments!! Thanks!
David

Hope you feel better soon.

drobertson

Czech made, I am eating those words now, in the fith day out, the pain is worse, but thanks to a dose of olive oil/ splash of lemon juice, got engine no.2 back on the tracks☺ 
I think the worse part is the tension, all over, my glutes and ham strings followed by the incesion , you guys really are great, it seems that this forum has the perfect blend of folks that's been there in so many situations that there will always  be some form of constructive advice, to plain ole down to earth encouragement!  I still can smell the last saw job☺ its just beautiful here this morning! I hope you all have a great day and week ahead!

catalina

Grizzly

Do they offer massage at the hospital? That was the one thing German hospitals offered that I wasn't acquainted with and it was a tremendous help with that tension pain (which they called distraction pain). Not a deep tissue massage but more of a brisk relaxing massage.

Be real careful not to overdo things but make sure you do a little everyday.

You probably don't need advice just sharing my experience if it's any help to you.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

drobertson

No, did not here or get a massage til I got home, it helps for sure, dang glutes and hams are really tight, and I have orders not to bend yet,

drobertson

Had the ten day follow up yesterday.  All on track, the spasms are the culprit now, but nothing unexpected they said. For now easy peasy and it stinks! Never realised it would be this hard to sell the mill.

Grizzly

Good! Remember to take muscle relaxants so that you can just kick back and veg out without that pain. Take care.

Lyle
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

YellowHammer

Just keep to the plan, and it will work out.  We are pulling for you.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

red

Carson-saws

OUTSTANDING!!!...VERY happy for you
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

sawwood

Good to hear you are doing better David. May be I will come down to see you later this year. I need to see my family
member in Cobol so you are not to far east from there. Stay strong and it will get better in time.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

red

Ok you survived a few weeks . How is it going ?

drobertson

Red its going good so far, as to the shooting,numb,to tingling leg issues, all gone,what's left is the area around the incesion, my loins are still a bit weak, and iam completely off meds, no need for them currently, biggest pain sorta is this bone growth stimulator I'm wearing 4hours a day all said doing good. Thanks folks  sure miss sawing,,,

thechknhwk

Glad to hear you are doing well.  Will you have permanent weight restrictions when fully healed?

21incher

Glad to hear that the recovery is going well. Will you be starting PT soon? The next best thing to sawing is reading Forestry Forum posts.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

red

I figured you were doing good .  Keep on keeping on . 

drobertson

Quote from: thechknhwk on October 10, 2016, 06:31:59 PM
Glad to hear you are doing well.  Will you have permanent weight restrictions when fully healed?
This is one thing doc stressed from the got go, 30 lb after year, right now 10lbs kinda of a drastic change for sure,

customsawyer

As long as you can still lift 12oz your okay.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

MikeZ

drobertson-I would like to know more about your surg if I could. I just committed to fusion after thinking about it for 4 days. T10 to pelvis. Brings tears to my eyes thinking about recovery. Stenosis and degen disc problem. Surgeon says better now than in 5-10 yrs if even possible. He said would take 2 surgeons 8 hrs to pull this off and 100K$ worth of titanium. I totally understand your pain before and after but hope it all helps. Dr is looking to improve my walk and 50% reduction in pain. I wish you the very best of healing!!
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

drobertson

Mike sorry to hear of your issue man, rough, it sounds like your problems are just above where mine were, regardless it stinks. My procedure was unique in that my previous fusion L4 L5 had to be redone from lack of fusion. Then L4 and L3 and S 1. It was a fast 5 hours for me on the table! Ha! Now things feel great, just can't work,, like everyone says, follow docs orders and behave, and you will heal, let us know if you feel like it, will be thinking of you, 

drobertson

Well crapola! Six week check up not the report card I was looking for.  A!l good except a short section of incesion. Seems like its not quite healing like it should.  No pain or discomfort, just not what the doc liked to see, go back Friday again, I reckon best to air on the side of caution.

Ed_K

Caution would be best. I had a similar problem when they stapled me up after hernia surgery, would not heal then we found it was an ingrown hair was causing the problem, when it starts feeling warm that's not good,get it looked at quick.
Let us know how it goes and hope all's ok. It's a bummer when you write up a long post and it doesn't go. Rita's learning to use her phone to text, some of the words don't come out right,funny some times not so others. I'll wait as long as I can before going to the new phones with all their gadgets  ;D .
Ed K

thecfarm

Wife just went for her check up of a knee replacement. Had one of those stiches inside that was trying to come outside. He knew as soon as he saw it. All gone now.Hope it's that simple.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hopefully David, this will only be a minor setback on your journey toward a successful back procedure. 

dgdrls

dr,

I hope your incision has healed properly and your on the "full mend"

best
D

drobertson

Thanks D, slowly getting there, scar tissue from previous fusion is the culprit, getting there,

Thank You Sponsors!