iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Battle of the BIG LOGS

Started by TimT, September 13, 2016, 10:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimT

That big tree made some big logs... Bucked them with the 880, then it was a battle to get them up and over the steep bank.... Took three small machine to do it. But other than hauling the big ones home its done. Then some fun with the big saws.  Some pics..

sandsawmill14

thats a pretty big un  :) what did it measure about 44" ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Ada Shaker

Them some mighty fine logs u have there. R U intending on doin some more bucking or R U slabbing this time Tim?. They'd look like they'd make some fine table tops, and a nice talking piece.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

LittleJohn

:o :o :o
...so after I pick my jaw off the floor! Yes what are you going to mill out of them

MY dad had some 30" pines he wrangled onto the mill one time; we were slabbing 1x22!!  Know when you ask why, I will give you my dad response "BECAUSE WE CAN"

TimT

The butt log is 63" "without bark" and the second is 54" on small end. I took the tree down because I wanted it and my friend wanted to have it gone. He already paid nearly 2 grand to have it topped. It was a hazard because a limb fell in the neighbors yard. He ended up in court over it. The tree is solid all the way through.

Now I would like some advise... I have no real use for these logs other than saw play  and might make some impressive pieces to put in the front yard.... but if they have some value for anything let me know please. I think its Yellow Poplar but some call it Cottonwood....pretty soft, fairly light for its volume. Let me know what you guys think.... I have heard carvers might want some big pieces or maybe one of the many local Amish saw mills would buy it. The whole tree trunk is now in my yard. The butt log weighs 5 tons, 15 feet long, and the second was cut at 14' and is maybe 5-6 ton also. The rest is short sections of limbs and a huge Y piece that weighs about a ton or so.  Thanks, Tim.

OH logger

that JD 40 ceawler caught my eye. my dad always loved those tractors but never got one.  :(
john

Ada Shaker

Quote from: TimT on September 14, 2016, 02:53:27 PM
The butt log is 63" "without bark" and the second is 54" on small end. I took the tree down because I wanted it and my friend wanted to have it gone. He already paid nearly 2 grand to have it topped. It was a hazard because a limb fell in the neighbors yard. He ended up in court over it. The tree is solid all the way through.

Now I would like some advise... I have no real use for these logs other than saw play  and might make some impressive pieces to put in the front yard.... but if they have some value for anything let me know please. I think its Yellow Poplar but some call it Cottonwood....pretty soft, fairly light for its volume. Let me know what you guys think.... I have heard carvers might want some big pieces or maybe one of the many local Amish saw mills would buy it. The whole tree trunk is now in my yard. The butt log weighs 5 tons, 15 feet long, and the second was cut at 14' and is maybe 5-6 ton also. The rest is short sections of limbs and a huge Y piece that weighs about a ton or so.  Thanks, Tim.

It just depends on what sells in your area. Big wood is usually harder to come by than smaller wood, and is quite often used in rustic furniture making. Hence the mention for slabbing, although the slabs might hang around for a while before someone shows some interest in them so bear that in mind. Not to certain about the type of wood as ours is mostly hardwoods but we do have softwood pine plantations also that is used for the building industry. You'd have to figure out what works in your area. I hear big entrance doors to homes are a big thing in some areas, and softwoods can be used for indoor rustic furniture which are easier to work with. Personally, I'd reserve a couple of slabs for myself and make sone talking pieces as a momento, such as a patio entertainment table or bar or similar. It wood be good to make a quid on the rest to help subsidize the work already done. Would be a real shame to see it all go up in smoke as firewood. Just my two bobs worth.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Al_Smith

Poplar,cottonwood,tulip poplar have some uses .It's lousy firewood per cord but as we all know per pound all wood has the same btu's.

It's not bad for wood work trim. Fact I've used quite a bit of it .Takes a little get it to stain right but if you work at it looks good .

The size of those logs it's going to take some more use from that big Stihl and bar. It will have to be ripped to even fit in a band saw.

That thing might be heavy now but once it's dry it will weigh about half as it now does.

I've got a rather large cottonwood in the edge of my woods a tad over 100 feet tall .The base is around 7 feet and around 12 feet up it splits into two stems about 4 feet in diameter .If it ever has to come down I'm not looking forward to it .

LittleJohn

I witnessed my old man drop some cottonwoods (relatively small -> 4' at the base) for a farmer.  Right next to driveway, as he is notching water begins pouring out of the tree, upon further review its just sap, so he keeps cutting.  Once trees are on the ground, we begin moving them only to discover that they have made about a 4" divot in the farmers driveway; can only imagine how much force that stupid tree hit the ground with

Thank You Sponsors!