iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did a little math...

Started by CCC4, September 13, 2016, 06:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHP Logging

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on September 20, 2016, 10:49:54 PM
Clint i agree with Bob here, that bottom end was unknown. my saws were mine before port port work, i knew they were good.
i am with you Bob, some models need porting. my 660 was a wus with a 24, after it pulls 36" of 404. if a guy wants a 24" saw, a good 044 or 371 will do that fine, but long bars need torque and even 90cc newer saws don't have it as stock. i don't mind the fuel, i do mind a saw that bogs in big timber. just my two cents here boys. but remember, when i started dad was running a 056 mag and 5200 poulan and a brandy new 181. them old saws had torque, i been chasing that all my life.

Yes sir!  I don't really know the history of Clint's saw but being a 288 I'd guess the bottom end had some time.  I get a lot of that.  A guy wants a saw ported and it's some tired old thing. I tell you what when you can really lean on a cut and she just keeps diggin then you've done ok.  Or you're chasing the back cut on a fatty and you cut er up tight before it's time to skedaddle.

I'm not trying to be argumentative in this thread here.  I just like a good friendly debate.
Buckin in the woods

RHP Logging

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on September 20, 2016, 11:04:05 PM
treeslayer   i agree about the torque on the old saws i have never seen a chain break on one of these newer saws but  the old 1050s we had it was easier to break a chain than it was not to if you were pulling a full cut with the 30" bar :o had an old mac that was the same way but i forgot the model of it those old saws wouldnt bog down just break something  :)  i should add though that none of those saws were exactly stock either the guy at the saw shop dad used ran hot saw competitions at the local fairs and such so every time dad got another saw he would take it to duke and let him fix it before we started running it. i dont know what he done but they would cut  :)

I break drive links on occasion.  Sometimes the tie straps give.  Probably happens a dozen times a year.
Buckin in the woods

RHP Logging

Quote from: 4x4American on September 20, 2016, 10:21:39 PM
I see quite a few votes for the 390, what's the difference then between that and the 395?  And if 390 = 2188, what = 395 in red or is there no contender?

395 is 5 or so more cc's and three or more pounds.  It's built for torque but you don't really see it pull away from the 390 until you're in consistently bigger wood. I could be wrong but I think jred goes up to the 2188.
Buckin in the woods

treeslayer2003

i don't think the clutch on our modern saws is what the old saws were. weight savings is a trade off.

so il logger

Yes, that 288 of Clint's had a weak bottom end. Couldn't handle the added compression. It is a comp monster.

Clutch side bearing let go, and nearly thrashed the ported jug. Bob I have a saw that would put a smile on your face. Ported 395, I like it for the power. I just hate chasing my pack jugs all the time...  :D

I'm so used to the smoothness of the 661, and liking the fuel milage. 395 was my all time favorite before I started buying 661's

RHP Logging

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on September 21, 2016, 09:47:32 AM
i don't think the clutch on our modern saws is what the old saws were. weight savings is a trade off.

Or the drive components.  I had a rim blow up on me a few weeks ago.  I run 8 pins. It was about halfway gone when it went.
Buckin in the woods

RHP Logging

Quote from: so il logger on September 21, 2016, 05:22:57 PM
Yes, that 288 of Clint's had a weak bottom end. Couldn't handle the added compression. It is a comp monster.

Clutch side bearing let go, and nearly thrashed the ported jug. Bob I have a saw that would put a smile on your face. Ported 395, I like it for the power. I just hate chasing my pack jugs all the time...  :D

I'm so used to the smoothness of the 661, and liking the fuel milage. 395 was my all time favorite before I started buying 661's

I was talking to Clint about the 661 about a year ago.  It sounds like a good saw but I really don't know about the auto tune.  I know everyone who has one says it's not a big deal.  That and my Stihl dealer in town sucks.  They don't stock parts/saws bigger than 70cc. Lawn and garden is more their game. I'm in really good with the husky guys.  I ran a 395 for a while.  Ported by me of course.  I liked the saw but when cutting smaller sticks the 390 did about the same with less weight.  It did have a great sound at idle.
Buckin in the woods

danbuendgen

Quote from: 4x4American on September 20, 2016, 10:21:39 PM
I see quite a few votes for the 390, what's the difference then between that and the 395?  And if 390 = 2188, what = 395 in red or is there no contender?

390xp: 88cc, 6.5 hp, 15.7 pounds

395xp: 93.9 cc, 6.97 hp, 17.4 pounds

JRed's largest saw is a 2188.

Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

4x4American

Thanks...so the weight isn't really worth the gains I take it?
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

4x4 if you are like me and just using it on the mill yard bucking and splitting logs the weight doesnt matter much but if your thinking of going to the woods logging that 2 pounds would be a deal breaker at least for me :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

danbuendgen

Quote from: 4x4American on September 22, 2016, 05:40:26 AM
Thanks...so the weight isn't really worth the gains I take it?

I chop with the 390 and run the 395 at the log landing. So I guess it just depends on what you want to do with it.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

sandsawmill14

thats right if i could afford it i would have either an 880 or 3120  :) but as long as im stout enough to get up on the log to get started the weight would make no difference to me but if i was going back to the woods logging the 441 would be my big saw then a 310 or something for trimming but i not in an area with big timber very few trees are over 40"  big timber i guess i would want a big saw :)

so il logger

Quote from: RHP Logging on September 21, 2016, 05:57:07 PM
Quote from: so il logger on September 21, 2016, 05:22:57 PM

I was talking to Clint about the 661 about a year ago.  It sounds like a good saw but I really don't know about the auto tune.  I know everyone who has one says it's not a big deal.  That and my Stihl dealer in town sucks.  They don't stock parts/saws bigger than 70cc. Lawn and garden is more their game. I'm in really good with the husky guys.  I ran a 395 for a while.  Ported by me of course.  I liked the saw but when cutting smaller sticks the 390 did about the same with less weight.  It did have a great sound at idle.

The 395's do have a nice exhaust note! I know on paper the 390 doesn't look much less powerful.. But in bone stock saws I can tell a huge difference. The way I cut allot of the time Iike torque more than anything. But we have different cutting styles. I could probably send you a 661 to try out.  It isn't as powerful as a 395 but way more user friendly. Balanced good, great anti vibes, yet still stiff feeling mounts. The m tronic fear is normal... Its not bad. They will take a beating

treeslayer2003

agreed, 394 is alot more power and alot more weight. can't go by published numbers.

RHP Logging

Yep the 394/5 is built for torque.  Just looking at the inside of the cylinder and the way they ported it. Heavier flywheel and crank too.
Buckin in the woods

4x4American

Good point Sands.  Same size timber around here.  I have wanted a 395 for quite some time now.  My 372 xtorque don't start great, but it handles like a cadillac and I love that about it.  That does most of my around the sawmill work.  I was using an 066 for awhile but it stopped starting reliably, for some reason, it just won't start sometimes.  Other times, it will start one pull and wind out to the moon on full choke.  Whereas on my 362, once I get that one bump/hiccup on full choke, usually after one or two pulls, it will die if I don't flick it to half choke fast enough.  Rarely do I have to pull on my Stihls more than 2-3 times to get them to life.  That Husky, idk if I haven't figured it out or what but I spend so much time and energy pulling on that thing.  That's what gets me nervous about a 395.
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

the older 372s (thats all i have run) started with 4-5 pulls when in good shape i dont know how much running you have on it but it could be getting enough wear to make it harder to start   when i changed the jug on my 441 i hadnt even noticed it wearing far as power or starting BUT after changing the jug its like a different saw 2 pulls with choke and one without and its running every time where before sometimes it would start in 5-6 pulls sometimes might take 8 but i guess i gaining one extra pull at the time i just didnt notice until it started cranking right :)
i have said it several times so think everyone knows by now i like the husky saws just as good as stihl the dealer is why i wont touch husky now and seeing as he is my age i will probably never own another husky unless he sells out or something but i would quit drinking coffe before i bought it from him >:( the only problem we've had with the huskys is the 385 up to 395 size saws burning up some in 1/2 a day some would make it a month but i have already talked about that on here too but since none of these other guys on here have been talking about it my guess is it was just a bad run at factory and they happened to end up in our area :-\ but i wouldnt be afraid to buy a 395 in another area and by now all the bad ones are likely gone from our area  :) oh i forgot about the 353 husky dont get one  >:( or put wheels on where you can push it off to start it ;D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!