iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My friend sent me this picture of a Red Oak that came down.

Started by crazy, September 13, 2016, 12:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy

He says it is about 40 feet long and 18 +/- inches thick.  I told him to cut it in half and paint the ends.  He thinks it would be better to cut it into 4 10 foot sections.  Either way, I plan to quartersaw the log.  Is it better to cut 10 or 20 foot sections?  What say you?

off site image removed by Admin

Ianab

Because it's got a bit of a bend in it, I'd buck it more based on getting the straightest sections possible to get the best recovery. Better to have relatively straight 8 and 12ft logs than a 20 ft banana, and the kink may not be in the middle.

Assuming it's just for woodworking wood, then the exact lengths don't really matter
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Nomad

What Ian said.  And if you're going to quarter saw it, bends in the logs will make recovery much less than if the logs are straighter.  That's a bit small for quartersawing in my opinion.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

sandsawmill14

if you are planning  to sell the lumber cut it in 5  8 ft logs if you  are using it yourself cut the length you need it  :) they are right about the recovery rate on crooked logs sometimes you will get twice the lumber by cutting them in 1/2 that log would probably gain about 30-40% cut in short lengths compared to 20' lengths smiley_thumbsup
i agree with nomad about the quatersawing  you will have some pretty narrow lumber alot of it will 3-4"wide if thats what you want thats fine just making sure you know :)
i dont know where you located but that bark looks more like our post oak than red oak :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

crazy

Thanks for the feedback.  The log is in Oregon near Salem.  My friend told me it was a Red Oak.  I have only milled a few oaks and that was years ago.  I am only going by what he told me.  The only reason for wanting to quarter saw the log is I hate flat sawn oak but I do like like quartersawn oak.  It will be good practice for me.  I understand that the boards wont be that wide.  If I can get 3-6" boards, I will be happy.  I will tell him to concentrate on getting straight sections.

OneWithWood

The term 'red oak' is used in the industry to encompass anything in the red oak family so your friend is somewhat correct.  The better quality red oak is the true northern red oak.  Your tree looks to me to be a black oak, which is in the red oak group.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Did he have pictures of closer to the but end? It looks like that sistered trunk succumbed to rot or disease from what little can be seen.  Good chance that extends a ways up into the trunk. Also, there are some tell-tail swirls and bumps that look like old limbs that were either cut off or broken off over the years, and the twist that was mentioned.

Looking back at the standing trunks there looks to be possibly blue stain on those indicating metal in the tree. Considering the vicinity to the out buildings and the appearance that this may have also been some sort of pastured area, that will effect the wood detrimentally as well. Hopefully you get enough out of it to make up for the time and effort you put into it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Oh, you northern red oak snobs  :D :D.

Just kidding.  It ain't bad stuff when it comes to red oak, I admit.  You Northern types are just a bit deficient on red oak variety when compared to the hot and humid South, but your stuff is pretty good  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

crazy

Quote from: Jeff on September 13, 2016, 10:42:53 AM
Did he have pictures of closer to the but end? It looks like that sistered trunk succumbed to rot or disease from what little can be seen.  Good chance that extends a ways up into the trunk. Also, there are some tell-tail swirls and bumps that look like old limbs that were either cut off or broken off over the years, and the twist that was mentioned.

Looking back at the standing trunks there looks to be possibly blue stain on those indicating metal in the tree. Considering the vicinity to the out buildings and the appearance that this may have also been some sort of pastured area, that will effect the wood detrimentally as well. Hopefully you get enough out of it to make up for the time and effort you put into it.

I figured there was rot in  the tree.  I have seen many oak trees down in California with the centers rotted out.  I hope the whole trunk isn't like that.  If it is, we will have some good firewood. 

I will see if I can get a few more pictures.  My friend is bad about pictures.  It's like pulling teeth to geet pictures.

Clark

Quote from: WDH on September 13, 2016, 11:16:41 AMOh, you northern red oak snobs  :D :D.

Just kidding.  It ain't bad stuff when it comes to red oak, I admit.  You Northern types are just a bit deficient on red oak variety when compared to the hot and humid South, but your stuff is pretty good  ;D. 

We are deficient but I'll take it, even if that means glaciers in the winter.

What we have here is something very different. The poster is on the west coast and that far north I think they only have one native oak, garry oak. To me that is what this tree looks like. The problem develops because in the pacific northwest they can grow many, many types of trees and I'm sure that includes many specie of oak. And nobody out there really cares because they all grow so well.

It's no offense to the original poster but I ran into this situation many times when I lived out there.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

sandsawmill14

Quote from: WDH on September 13, 2016, 11:16:41 AM
Oh, you northern red oak snobs  :D :D.

i would put our cherry bark r/o (quercus pagoda) against any northern r/o (quercus rubra) i've ever seen ;D ;)  i think i have the proper names with them if not please feel free to correct me :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WDH

Cherrybark oak is fine.  Very fine.  I agree that it is on par with Northern red oak, it just grows faster.  Much faster. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!