iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New spot to hang my hat

Started by DonE911, November 15, 2004, 03:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonE911

Well we went and done it now.  

Got a new place in Union County GA.  2 Houses on 6 acres.

As most of you know the hurricanes blew my house over... although I don't think we are running from Hurricanes we are running away from the gangs,drugs,traffic, heat, ect. and looking forward to small town living again ( small for us anyway )

Guess I'll be changing my profile here in a month or so to read "formerly of south FL"

Guess my logosol M7 will cut its first boards in GA (since I haven't picked it up yet)    

Fla._Deadheader

8)  Hate to see ya go, but, understand why yer leaving. Good luck on yer move.  8)

How far from anywhere will ya be ???                                  
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DonE911

FDH

Be about an hour to hour and a half north of atlanta... 15 min's from NC line... little farther to Tenn.

I knew you'd understand... your in the same boat up the road as I am..... way to many people, more cars than people, less roadway than cars, ... then there's those drugs, gangs, poor schools ect.

Now I gotta start learning about all these funny looking tree's I got all over my new place.  Good thing is there is not one single palm tree 8)

Fla._Deadheader

Know what ya mean about them trees. I'm planning on a trip to Costa Rica after the 1st of the year. If I can see a way, I'm outta here.

Be a good place for the kids to vacation. ;) :)

Don't know if yer interested, but, there's some pretty good Gold up there. I have some buddies that you could get hooked up with.

Waayyyy too cold up there for me. ;D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DonE911

I almost went to Costa Rica about 10 years ago... wanted to do some snook fishing... never happened.  

I hate the heat these days...  looking forward to the cold.

I'd still like to go fishing down there one of these days....  if you move down there keep in touch, maybe I'll come down for a visit.

Minnesota_boy

QuoteI hate the heat these days...  looking forward to the cold.

I'll put you down for a visit from January 15 to the 25.  Should be a little cold weather in them 10 days.  You do want to see the thermometer when it reads the same in Celcius as Fahrenheit don't you?  -40 deg.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

crtreedude

Well, the only problem with visiting Costa Rica is that you can get addicted. I can walk outside right now with a T-shirt and be comfortable, and I could do the same in August.

Harold, looking forward to the visit. I am busier than a one-arm-paper hanger as my mom used to say.

So far, it has been much better than we hoped, I hope your move proves to be the same. And I am still trying to figure out the name of all of the trees growing wild on the property.

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

Hi Fred. Have not set a date yet. Trying to get the house put back together. That way I can sell it and pay off the debt. Would be nice to have cash in hand and no debt.

I will stay in touch. We are very busy and have more projects coming up. Have in-laws for 10 days for thanksgiving and have to roof the house, before we can do sheetrock work and paint.

Don, No Problema on a fishing trip. Ed would never leave if I ever get him down there. 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

jwood

DonE sounds like your movin close to Blairsville Ga. I was up there a couple months ago and it sure is purty...I tried that ft pierce thing for a couple years..that was back when you cld fish the canals west  of the turnpike in PSL. .back when there was roads in there but not a soul living on that side..
   now we are in steinhatchee ..dont have red lights yet but its startin to get crowed..
  hope you enjoy north ga. as much as our folks do..

DonE911

Yep, Blairsville exactly and it is purteeeee.  Land is cheap although that depends are where your comming from.  Needs to be since I'll be unemployeed for a while.

I remember fishing the canals is PSL when there was nothing at all out there... I could ride all the way to the c24 spillway on my bike and never see a soul.  Eventually most of FL is going to be over populated, but I hope it stays comfortable to you over there.

NO I don't want to spend any significant time at 40 below... thanks for the invite just the same.  The harshest winter that I'm used to is having to wear a lite jacket ( windbreaker ) to the beach  ;D.  I think I'll ease into the cooler weather.

DanG

Congrats, Don!  Glad to see ya gettin out of that rat race. The rats are gonna win, anyway. You're going to a great area, and I think you'll like it.

Jwood!  Where the heck you been?? We been missing you!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Another Fort Pierce Boy leaves Florida. Hey Tom! Wouldja go down there and turn off the lights after Don leaves?

Hey Don, North Georgia is might pretty. You'll enjoy it but you will miss the ocean and especially you are gonna miss eating fresh salt water fish and lobster. Freshwater fish just doesn't compare.  

After visiting with Minnesota_Boy, then swing down to New Richmond, Wisconsin. I'll even let you borrow a heavy coat and gloves and  jacket while you experience shoveling snow and running a snowblower. You'll have a blast! 8) And the cold you experience up here will make your Georgia winter feel like a sauna.  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

JimY

Hi Don,
   Welcome to the neighborhood!  (sort of)  It looks like y'all are about 2 1/2 to 3 hours west of us.  Been round these parts all my life.  You'll fit in just fine.
   I know I'm not real close but if you need help with anything just give a yell.  I'm pretty cheap help - gas money and a little food. ;D  
Hope everything goes well,
Jim

DextorDee

Hey Don welcome to Ga. Hope ya enjoy ya new place. Ya almost in hollering distant from me. If I can help just holler.
Ya gonna need more than a lite jacket up dar in em hills.

Ken
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

DonE911

Charlie   Thanks for the invite, but I think I'll condition myself to the cool weather before I punish myself up there in WI. I don't think I want to shovel any of that white stuff, although the blower could be fun until I figure out its cold and this is more like work than fun.  I have a 15 year old son to handle any shoveling work. Maybe a summer visit to WI to start with.

Tom if your comming down to turn out the lights better hurry, the instructions will be in another language soon.

Jim and Dextor thanks for the welcome to your zone...  I'm not a complete stranger to the cold I did about 6 months in college in SC many years ago. It was cold and raining all the time if a remember right.

I got me a jacket to keep me warm, gonna need one since my primary vehicle is a soft top Jeep wrangler, although the heater works real good.  I might not be traveling to much this winter anyway, I'm going up as a statistic ( unemployeed ), so maybe I'll stay warm int he house until the money runs out :o

Since this is a Forestry Forum... I may be asking lots of questions about these funky looking tree's in the area and what they are good for...  may have to find a book with pic's.

jwood

hey DanG..i hated missing the get togather
at Palatka and  moultrie..i was readin your post recently about
your hootie mobile.and was wonderin if hooties is that surplus
place on hwy 90 just on the out skirts of chatahootchee

DanG

You know the place, Jim. :)  Mr. Hootie Parramore has been in business there for over 50 years. Mr. H is getting up in years, and I recently asked him how long he was gonna keep the place open. Without a hint of hesitation, he said, "Till I die!"
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Don:

I believe I was through that corner of Georgia 3 years ago looking at the  Domtar southern pine plantations up in the hills of Tenn, then down in the NW corner of Georgia and around into NC and back up through Tenn while on the parkway through the Smokey Mnts. Southern pine beetle where killing the pines in that kneck of the woods. Nice area to live in. Unfortunately, I don't have my map here to retrace my travels. I do remember a big lake down there where they pumps the water up to a resevoir in the hills to run down through a dam for power. Very inefficient way to generate power. But, it made for some nice white water rafting on the river. I seen alot of folks on kayaks going down this river. Looked like fun. I do belive I've seen a kayak event hosted on TV once from that area. Wish I had my map. :(  Lots of oak, hickery, persimmon, walnut, and tulip tree to make sawdust with. Glad you came out on top of the storm. :)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

S-D,  Don thinks Georgia is cold. We'll show him cold. Mind you, I can't handle the heat and humidity so I guess we are even.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Percy

QuoteS-D,  Don thinks Georgia is cold. We'll show him cold. Mind you, I can't handle the heat and humidity so I guess we are even.
Heya Sawguy
When I was a kid , I lived in Edmonton. One winter (around 67-69) the temp never went above 0 farenheit for 27  or 28 days strait. Cold as a bankers heart :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Murf

SC? COLD?????

No, no, no, when you wipe your face with your glove and your moustache falls off into your hand, THAT'S cold.

Percy, Edmunchuck doesn't have a bad winter, Grand Priarie has a bad winter....

The summers are nice in Edmonton though, not like here in Ontario though, out there you get a couple of weeks when the snowmobile trails are in bad shape and then summer is over.

:D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Timber_Framer

I got stuck on an oil rig in North Dakota for four days with wind chills down to -80°F
We had to wear goggle so our eyes wouldn't freeze!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

CHARLIE

That brings to mind a question. A Canadian Goose can fly at 60 mph if'n he wants to. So, we all know about windchill. Well, why is it that when a goose is flying at 60mph and the temperature is minus 30°, then why doesn't his eyeballs freeze?  I think mine would. :o  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Cause they squint, Charlie. When a goose reaches10 MPH he begins to squint his eyes and by the time he reaches 60MPH at at 5000 ft. his eyes are closed so far that he can't really see very good.  Geese at 5000 ft are running on Sonar, That's why they "Honk" so much. :D

Erick

Congrats on the new homested Don I got family down that way its real nice country your gona like it. By the time the geese get to your part of the country its warm enough thay can open their eyes again. :D
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

SwampDonkey

Geese have better air traffic control through honking than we have with radar. :D :D

When ever I here temperatures, I'm only interested in air temp, not wind chill. Wind chill was never a factor spoken about years ago. One of them indicators to sensationalize the weather reports. ;)

Come to the north country where men are men and moose roam free. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!