iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade Portables Bandsaw Sawmill Progress And Questions :)

Started by Jay Sybrandy, September 11, 2016, 11:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I would think that metal fatigue would be an issue with aluminum.  My choice would be steel.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jay Sybrandy

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on September 13, 2016, 12:32:28 PM
I just looked at your plans on instagram.  I don't think that head will be sturdy enough.  You will probably  need another set of posts 2 feet or 18 inches behind the first with the tops tied together and lots of 45degree brackets bracing everything nice and solid.

Also you want something that wraps from the the bottom of the head down below the tracks to act as a hook so the head can't twist off the tracks.  If that happens when the head is up or the saw is running it gets dangerous quick.

If you have just a few large logs you can always quarter them with a chainsaw (the bar only needs to be close to half the width of the log) and wedges then mill the 1/4's on the sawmill.  You don't get the huge slabs but you gets lots of lumber out of them.

I sill have to put gussets in and stuff :) it's only an outline :)

Would some wheels like this hen better http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-URETHANE-TIRES-FOR-WILTON-20-BAND-SAW-FITS-WHEELS-19-3-4-DIA-X-1-Wide-/261695035610?hash=item3cee3d58da:g:yeMAAOxyi-ZTYU5N
Making large bandsaw sawmill - 15 Years old - NZ

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Jay Sybrandy on September 13, 2016, 04:41:02 PM

Would some wheels like this hen better http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-URETHANE-TIRES-FOR-WILTON-20-BAND-SAW-FITS-WHEELS-19-3-4-DIA-X-1-Wide-/261695035610?hash=item3cee3d58da:g:yeMAAOxyi-ZTYU5N

Those are only the rubber tire that fits on metal pulleys.  If I were building one and didn't want to use automotive tires I would start here  http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Pulleys/Finished-Bore-Pulleys/18-75-O-D-1-7-16-BORE-1-GROOVE-PULLEY-1-BK190-J.axd

And run v belts on each pulley  for tires.  Also on the same site you can get just about everything you need to build a mill.

Although I am not sure if the pulleys I linked to are quite strong enough.  They only have a 1 inch bore so that may be your week point.  I think woodmizer uses 2 inch shafts and even then at some point in the past had issues with them breaking.

Jay Sybrandy

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on September 13, 2016, 05:55:01 PM
Quote from: Jay Sybrandy on September 13, 2016, 04:41:02 PM

Those are only the rubber tire that fits on metal pulleys.  If I were building one and didn't want to use automotive tires I would start here  http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Pulleys/Finished-Bore-Pulleys/18-75-O-D-1-7-16-BORE-1-GROOVE-PULLEY-1-BK190-J.axd

And run v belts on each pulley  for tires.  Also on the same site you can get just about everything you need to build a mill.

Although I am not sure if the pulleys I linked to are quite strong enough.  They only have a 1 inch bore so that may be your week point.  I think woodmizer uses 2 inch shafts and even then at some point in the past had issues with them breaking.

Thanks will they ship to NZ ? I dident realise they where only the rubber :) though they where cheap :)  Can I use a pully that's 1" wide and use a 1 1/4" blade ?

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Joe Hillmann

I didn't take into account your location.  Shipping on parts that would be reasonable for me could easily double the price for you.

Maybe a tire mill isn't the worst idea for you when you figure in if you need to ship everything in from overseas.  You can get 6 ply trailer tires pretty cheap that have a max psi of 90 lbs (I like trailer tires because they have a nice crown to them that makes tracking easy that car tires don't have)

If you had 90 psi in a 24 inch tire you would be able to get nearly 3000 pounds of tension on the blade but then you will have a hard time finding bearings that could hold the strain (you would also have that same issue if you used the v pulley I linked to.

Joe Hillmann

I just found timberwolfs suggestions for psi on blades and they are much lower than others I have seen.  http://timberwolfblades.com/blade-tension.php  for a 1 inch blade they recommend only 14,000- 17,000psi.  But those numbers are probably for an average mill that can cut less than 30 inches wide.

4x4American

Quote from: Jay Sybrandy on September 13, 2016, 12:20:25 AM

Will the green stickers result in boards that aren't straight or not ? Can I use pine stickers :)

Green stickers shouldn't bother the straightness as long as you have the lumber stacked properly.  Pine stickers are the most common kind of stickers in this neck of the woods. 
Boy, back in my day..

Jay Sybrandy

Quote from: 4x4American on September 13, 2016, 10:42:12 PM
Quote from: Jay Sybrandy on September 13, 2016, 12:20:25 AM

Will the green stickers result in boards that aren't straight or not ? Can I use pine stickers :)

Thanks

Green stickers shouldn't bother the straightness as long as you have the lumber stacked properly.  Pine stickers are the most common kind of stickers in this neck of the woods. 

Jay Sybrandy

This saw mill has small tiers that are quite far apart https://youtu.be/fwwpeZK2YVc skip to the end to see it working

Ljohnsaw

Its not the distance between the tires but the width of the log you would be trying to cut.  I think he said that was a 10hp motor and that log was about as much as it could handle.  I have an 18hp on mine and would like something twice that size ;).  What I saw that concerned me a little was how the blade was "sinking" into the tire.  I would think that would adversely affect the set on the blade and cause it to rise in the wood.  But his cuts were looking good!  The problem with smaller tires is it flexes the blade more and will fatigue it faster causing it to break.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 13, 2016, 07:43:45 PM
what about 12 ply forklift tires ?
[/quote
I know where a mill is that uses 2" bands and semi tires and 50 hp electric. Works good.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Jay Sybrandy on September 16, 2016, 12:17:43 AM
This saw mill has small tiers that are quite far apart https://youtu.be/fwwpeZK2YVc skip to the end to see it working

It can be done but it is a matter of how well it works.  If you have a freshly sharpened blade with lots of set you can make a pretty nice cut with no tension at all but the end of the second or third cut that razor sharp blade is starting to dull and your blade will start to rise and dive in the cut.  The more tension you have the longer you can go with a dulling blade and still get straight cuts. 

In my experience soft woods (especially around knots) require a much sharper blade and more tension than hardwoods.  (of course I have no way to compare the woods I am sawing to the woods you will be cutting)  I often have a blade that is too dull to cut pine any more but I put it back on when I have some oak or ash and I can cut several more logs with it.

Jay Sybrandy

NEW QUESTION :

I might use blade guides like this https://www.timberking.com/images/talon2.jpg
But why do they have the slots in them ?
Can I make them out of 50mm stainless steel ?
And do I have it so they push the blade down all the time ? https://youtu.be/5u73MNTPnWg?t=3m49s

Thanks

Ljohnsaw

I suspect the slots are to let the sawdust escape/not build up on the guide wheel.  Yes, you need to have the guide pushing the blade down between ¼" and ½".  That allows the alignment of the blade guide to actually guide the blade (angle to the bed) and helps prevent the blade from hopping under the back guide surface.  Bad things happen if the blade gets behind your guides!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ozarkgem

18" V belt pulleys. Surplus center part # 1BKH190     47.95 ea.  I use these. Ends the uncertainty about using tires.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Jay Sybrandy

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 12, 2016, 07:23:36 PM
I suspect the slots are to let the sawdust escape/not build up on the guide wheel.  Yes, you need to have the guide pushing the blade down between ¼" and ½".  That allows the alignment of the blade guide to actually guide the blade (angle to the bed) and helps prevent the blade from hopping under the back guide surface.  Bad things happen if the blade gets behind your guides!

Jay Sybrandy

Quote from: ozarkgem on December 12, 2016, 07:34:41 PM
18" V belt pulleys. Surplus center part # 1BKH190     47.95 ea.  I use these. Ends the uncertainty about using tires.

I have allready got hubs and stubs turned up on a shaft with bearings and pulleys :)

ozarkgem

keep us posted on your progress. pics also.

Jay Sybrandy

Could I use a winch like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/other-accessories/auction-1229666020.htm to pull my carriage back and forward or will it over heat ?

Thanks  :)         

Joe Hillmann

I thought of using a winch like that on mine but I don't know how long it would last.   I doubt they are designed to be used constantly like that.

Quote from: Jay Sybrandy on December 29, 2016, 02:52:13 PM
Could I use a winch like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/other-accessories/auction-1229666020.htm to pull my carriage back and forward or will it over heat ?

Jay Sybrandy

I want to have a winch for pulling the carriage back and forward and maybe up and down .

How would I wire the up and down so i press and hold a button and it goes up then press and hole another button and it goes down ?
How would I wire the forward and back so I have a switch (DPDT) that when I press forward it goes forward at a variable speed (speed controller) and also opens a water value (Needs 12v) and when I go back it shuts off the water value and the winch reverses at 12v (Full Power)

I will also have limit switches but i know how to do those

I hope that makes seance :)

EDIT: Also what motors can I use ? I thought about a winch but it sounds like they would burnout

Kbeitz

You need one of these....

Wheelchair motors work good.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jay Sybrandy

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 31, 2016, 03:53:16 PM
You need one of these....

Wheelchair motors work good.

Whats that ? and would mobility scorers motors be good :)

Kbeitz

Wheelchair motors are already gear reduced..I don't know about scorers motors.
The switch above is a simple two way heavy duty switch.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!