iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4 way splitter

Started by WoodBurner19, September 11, 2016, 08:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodBurner19

Hi Guys! A little help here would be much appreciated.  I currently have a Husky 35 ton splitter with a 7" wedge that is 3" thick at the top.
I really want to weld 2 side wedges on it to split faster and more efficiently. I think my splitter has the power needed. Any comments or help would be great. I split about 12 cords a year. 
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

overclocking

Sometimes you can get the sleeve that slides over the current single wedge, that way it turns it into a 4 way and you can remove it if needed.

North River Energy

Your work habits likely differ from mine, but I think I'd sooner go with a larger pump and a set of stroke limiters before a 4-way.
The moving wedge configuration is probably best suited to a single split per stroke.
You're going to create handling problems with the extra splits, and the stripper plates welded to the beam appear to be in the way of the proposed 'wings'.

WoodBurner19

Quote from: overclocking on September 11, 2016, 09:43:07 PM
Sometimes you can get the sleeve that slides over the current single wedge, that way it turns it into a 4 way and you can remove it if needed.

Yes thanks I just viewed them on amazon, but they did not get good reviews at all. Thank you tho!!
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

WoodBurner19

Quote from: North River Energy on September 11, 2016, 10:22:07 PM
Your work habits likely differ from mine, but I think I'd sooner go with a larger pump and a set of stroke limiters before a 4-way.
The moving wedge configuration is probably best suited to a single split per stroke.
You're going to create handling problems with the extra splits, and the stripper plates welded to the beam appear to be in the way of the proposed 'wings'.

I know, I just realized that when I was viewing the picture. But actually, the piston is all the way up. I lump up my logs to 18", so i would still have room under the stripper plates, maybe, just maybe. I really want to speed up the process if i can. Can I ask what a larger pump & stroke limiters will do? Thanks!

North River Energy

If your normal gap is 24", and you split at 18", you 'waste' about 8" of travel time for each split. So, if you have spacers behind the wedge, the ram will come to rest slightly extended when fully retracted, and that saves time.
Similarly, if your machine came with a 13gpm pump, going to a 16 will move the ram faster. Most splitters of that type are configured to split anything and everything, rather than optimizing one's use of daylight. That means a cylinder larger than needed, and a pump smaller than it should be.

Bert

I use the 4 way wedge on my husky splitter. I beefed it up a little by welding some extra metal on the top. It saves me alot of time splitting and works rather well once you use it for awhile. I wouldnt dismiss it totally.
Saw you tomorrow!

thecfarm

That link that overclocking put on looks to be the same idea as the one that I had the dealer build for me when I bought mine splitter.

On some size wood,it works good,other size will give you a small spilt. Remove it on the small stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WoodBurner19

Quote from: North River Energy on September 11, 2016, 11:33:59 PM
If your normal gap is 24", and you split at 18", you 'waste' about 8" of travel time for each split. So, if you have spacers behind the wedge, the ram will come to rest slightly extended when fully retracted, and that saves time.
Similarly, if your machine came with a 13gpm pump, going to a 16 will move the ram faster. Most splitters of that type are configured to split anything and everything, rather than optimizing one's use of daylight. That means a cylinder larger than needed, and a pump smaller than it should be.

Ah ok I see now. I will look into that. Thanks so much!

Ivan49

Quote from: thecfarm on September 12, 2016, 07:30:15 AM
Same idea as the one that I had the dealer build for me when I bought mine splitter.

On some size wood,it works good,other size will give you a small spilt. Remove it on the small stuff.

Does that just sit over the wedge or is it bolted on

WoodBurner19

Quote from: thecfarm on September 12, 2016, 07:30:15 AM
Same idea as the one that I had the dealer build for me when I bought mine splitter.

Thank you! I will post what I finally get set up with. Maybe a secondary wedge & bigger pump :)

John Mc

I've seen some bolt-on wings as well (sold by that dreaded mass marketer who shall not be named - made specifically for their splitters). I guess they work (they got good reviews, but I've had some personal experience that the negative or "middle of the road" reviews on that company's site tend to have difficulty getting accepted for publication). However, I'd much rather have the 4-way on a sleeve so it can be easily removed without tools.

A combination of a slip-on 4-way wedge and stroke limiters may allow you to leave the stripper plates on??

If you are custom-making a 4 way wedge, there are some tricks to make it work better. Generally, you want one axis (usually the vertical wedge) to hit the log before the other. This lets the log start to split before the second axis (horizontal wedge) makes contact. It lessens the load required from the splitter. Some 4-way wedges also taper the outside ends of the horizontal wedge forward. Mine is made this way. I'm not sure what that accomplishes, but I assume someone who knows more about it than I do had a good reason for it.

Here's a picture of the 4-way wedge that came with my splitter:

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ivan49

Any problems with it or suggestions for me as I am about to make one. I also had the idea of the wings having a cutting edge like yours

John Mc

Quote from: Ivan49 on September 12, 2016, 10:29:25 AM
Any problems with it or suggestions for me as I am about to make one. I also had the idea of the wings having a cutting edge like yours

I haven't done a lot of splitting with it yet. I bought it from another FF member several weeks ago, but it was sitting at my brother's place until he delivered it to me recently. It did seem to work fine. It also came with a 6-way, which I haven't used yet.

One thing my 4 way wedge does not have that I've seen on others: make the wedge reversible, so you can put it on right-side up or upside down, and offset the horizontal wedge up or down a bit. That way, flipping it gives you a choice on the size of the splits - you have some option for matching it to the logs you are splitting.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

That just slides over the top,or sits on it. Looks like the one in the link is the same thing. I can take it off when doing wood that it just takes a couple inches off. It works ok,but most times,I just hang on the split piece and just rotate it and split again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WoodBurner19

Ok guys I'm getting closer! Had my buddy weld up some longer wings on a store bought 4 way. I want him to extend the front piece now by 3" and I should be good to go.  Yes I know I paid $70 for the wedge & a few more for the custom welds but I don't care, as long as it speeds up the process it's worth it.
If you look closer you'll see he had to cut the stops out and re-weld them so the longer wings cut pass thru. :)

Gearbox

Now your talking . If you get stuck on a block just put a chain around the block and plate and pull back . I would put a starter wedge in the center 2 in tall and 1 inch out . to much starter and you get a lot of chips . See if any of the pics of the BT6870 processer shows my wedge .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

WoodBurner19

So I think I'm done with the modification of the wedge. We welded the additional piece on the front & it works great!! Alot of $$$ later but I just didn't care :D

WoodBurner19

North River Energy

You've introduced a few pinch points and clothing grabbers. Be careful out there. ;)

WoodBurner19

Quote from: North River Energy on October 09, 2016, 09:29:33 PM
You've introduced a few pinch points and clothing grabbers. Be careful out there. ;)

Split & stacked 6 cords this weekend!  Cherry, Maple & Hickory good stuff. Thought about your quote the entire time while working my splitter. You are correct! And I was very careful & yet efficient. Thanks for being that little bird in the back of my mind :)

North River Energy

Glad that worked out. I respect your right to injure yourself, but would prefer, on principle, you did not. ;D

sully

I have the same splitter do you think i would gain much more speed if I put a 20 or 28 gpm pump on   Or would I lose power. Thanks

WoodBurner19

Hi Sully. With the new wedge I put on I definitely need the power, especially with the big hard Oak rounds.  but if your using the stock wedge I would think you could go to a bigger pump. But I'm no expert on this. Let me know what you decide

Thank You Sponsors!