iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log replacement

Started by plowboyswr, September 11, 2016, 02:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plowboyswr

We've been looking at buying some property and we happened across a place with a log home. Went and looked at it and found some rot damage.

They're a "D" style log with groves cut in top and bottom. Butt and pass on the corners. They aren't full length. And it was built in 1980. The one below the window is bad enough that you can see through. Found a few others that are showing signs of starting to go. Guess my question is, can this be repaired or should it be written off.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

S.Hyland

Well...Anything is possible as far as repair, given enough time and money. I would bet that even some that look ok are starting to go as well, and should be checked over carefully. If they will give you a good enough deal to make it worth the headache it may be worth it. If so I would fur it out and cover the whole thing with wood siding. Nothing like a sacrificial layer to protect your structure!
That is the problem with most modern log homes, they are made of trees which are mostly sapwood and are not constructed to shed water properly ( corner detail with handy grooves to bring water into your wall for example). Many or most log homes like this that I see have these identical issues. 
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

red

So a larger roof overhang or maybe a wraparound porch roof may help.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

ozarkgem

Do you know what kind of logs those are?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

TW

You can repair anything in a log building. I once shifted so many logs in an old hay barn that now there are only 5 original logs left in it.
Even scribe fitted logs are fully feasible to replace if you know the tricks of the trade. We once shifted half the number of logs in an over 300 years old granary with scribed walls. In most places there isn't gap enough to fit a knifeblade.

Coming from a country where scribe fitted logs with flat outside and inside is the norm for heated buildings I would be very wary of anything built with D-logs and square logs and butt-and-pass corners. The whole system has too many potential rot pockets in it for my taste. Especially when there is a groove along the top of the logs.
I second those who suggest siding.... if you decide to buy that house anyway.

plowboyswr

Well after some more figuring  and looking the place over, and figuring again. I think this place is gonna be a pass. Just too much has been let go. 5 years ago it might have been saved.
Ozarkgem, don't know for sure on the logs but it looked to be a pine. Growth rings were too wide to be a local grown species. Most of the "logs" still had the pith in them and were only about a 6" log.
It had a full front porch but even it was deteriorating. Part of the floor was falling in. And roof was showing signs of leaking.  ::)
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

ozarkgem

Quote from: plowboyswr on September 18, 2016, 02:18:01 PM
Well after some more figuring  and looking the place over, and figuring again. I think this place is gonna be a pass. Just too much has been let go. 5 years ago it might have been saved.
Ozarkgem, don't know for sure on the logs but it looked to be a pine. Growth rings were too wide to be a local grown species. Most of the "logs" still had the pith in them and were only about a 6" log.
It had a full front porch but even it was deteriorating. Part of the floor was falling in. And roof was showing signs of leaking.  ::)
Good call, sounds like a tear down to me.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

S.Hyland

Sounds like the right call. If it's in such visibly bad shape just since 1980, there are probably many problems you can't see too. Sounds like it was a shoddy build all around.
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Thank You Sponsors!