iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Score 18.4x34 skidder tire 1 Barbender 0

Started by barbender, September 10, 2016, 11:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I've had a couple tires with slow leaks on the ol Pettibone 501. Mostly it decorates our yard (ask my wife ;D) it gets ran about 5 hours a year. So, I've never invested the money in the old girl getting the tires fixed. I know the one tire had a "puncher", a limb that poked through the face of the tire, so it will need booted or otherwise repaired. The other tire didn't have obvious damage (well, it is at about 10% tread, so it might be better said that they are uniformly damaged) but depending on how it's parked it would go flat over a period of several days. The other day I needed to use the skidder, so I aired up the 2 flats. I got distracted with another project, and came back to the skidder a couple hours later. I jumped on it and drove around the yard, and went to back up before I realized the rear tire was flat again. Unfortunately it had came of the bead (not a big deal), but when I tried to air it up, I discovered the tube must've shifted and it tore the valve stem out of the tube (big deal). I talked to the local tire shop, and they gave me what I thought was a reasonable price (around $300) to replace the tube. I would have just brought them the whole tire, but I was afraid they  would get it apart and see something they didn't want to fix. So I got the bright idea to dismount the tire myself to see what was wrong in there. Mind you up to this point my tire experience is limited to a bicycle tire I changed one time ;D I guess I just wanted to see if I could get it off. So with some pry bars (I didn't have the proper tire irons) some dish soap I stole from my wife and about 3 hours of wrestling and watching youtube videos of guys effortlessly getting ag tires off, I got 1 side of the tire off the rim :D Mental note- the 1 1/2" high bead guard on the forestry rims makes them considerably more challenging than ag tires, I think. So, tomorrow I will get the other side off, clean up the rim, and bring the tire and rim to the tire shop and let them remount it with the new tube. Probably saved myself $25 ::)
Too many irons in the fire

BurkettvilleBob

Well, at least you're persistent! Would you take a picture of the old biscuit for me? I think I saw it back in the harvesting and methods page. I was just telling Ed_k how much I enjoyed seeing the old iron.

Ox

No, you're saving quite a bit.  At least $200 I imagine.  Once you've done a few they get a little easier, just like with most things.  Biggest tip I can offer is making sure the opposite side tire bead is tucked into the rim so you have room to flip the bead up and over the rim.  From there it's just "timing" where you put the bars.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ed_K

Ox is right on. When you buy the new tubes make sure you are getting natural rubber tubes, NOT radial tubes (their not strong enough).
You can take the tubes out by only removing the outside bead by jacking up or down using the bottom of the tire to keep the opening level. check the rim for rust, I had a lot of trouble with rust puncturing new tubes till the tire guy explained it to me. Once you get all the rust off use tire grease and coat the whole inside of rim, you won't need to worry about the tube and tire spinning as long as you have 30-35 lbs of air in. By jacking up the axle you can check the inside of the tire for punctures and booting them we use the long wide boots and grind the edges to a taper. My last repair with the tire guy was $258. If you can get the tube for $130. and do it yourself you save the difference. Good luck.
Oh, I use long wrecking bars with the end ground to a round, no sharp edges.
Ed K

barbender

Thanks guys. Ed, I told the tire guy I specifically wanted a natural rubber forestry tube. I can order a Firestone natural rubber tube online for $158 shipped. I just don't want to wreck it, and the rim is going to need some grinder work to clean it up. I know it may be a waste of time, but I might try patching a new valvestem on my tube, I see they are available. Also, the tire has a "tip top" boot in it, it has a cut in it that might have caused the flat in the first place, so I might order another boot. Actually, I may order a few so I can repair my other tire if I get the hang of it. Oh, Ed, I will grind my wrecking bars. They are already a bit worn but I was planning on rounding them off before I started with a new tube. BurkettvilleBob, here you go

barbender

It's parked in front of the trailer house because that is the next job for the 'Bone- pulling the trailer away from our new house. The roof caved in after we moved into the new shack, and our insurance company won't give us regular homeowners insurance until I get it moved. I'm just dragging it to our adjoining property and off the property our insurance covers. Pain in the hind end ::)

treeslayer2003

never seen one that late model, ones i seen looked alot smaller and older.
them guys are right, and remember some rims only have a deep drop on one side, doing it from the wrong side will work ya to death.
keep check at napa, i got a 48" tire iron for 70 bucks on sale once. worth it!! we used to get reliners but i ain't seen one in years. thats the best thing for tires with patches.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: barbender on September 11, 2016, 10:32:03 AM
It's parked in front of the trailer house because that is the next job for the 'Bone- pulling the trailer away from our new house. The roof caved in after we moved into the new shack, and our insurance company won't give us regular homeowners insurance until I get it moved. I'm just dragging it to our adjoining property and off the property our insurance covers. Pain in the hind end ::)
ha ha, i did that with two trailers here. one i burned whole, the other i tore apart with a loader and burned the pile. the whole one burned up better. pita, nails and crap every where, i never want to do that again.

Corley5

Good looking iron  8) 8) 8) 
  I hate tires.  It's well worth it to me to take them off and haul them to the tire shop for repair.  I run errands or get lunch while they fix it  8) 8)  Last one with a new Firestone forestry tube, patch over the rough spot in the tire and labor was $220.00.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

Treeslayer, I have been dreading this trailer house project and have put it off for a long time! The plan is to get a roll off dumpster and demo it directly into that. As far as that rim, as near as I can tell it has the drop on both sides. It was a fightin' son-of-a-gun, I can say that much.  I believe the 'Bone is a '79 model. Kind of an interesting machine, it has the rear frame oscillation instead of a front axle cradle pin (the reason I didn't feel the flat tire in the back, the cab is matched to the front axle) It also has a full width trail blade, and the blade control has a float position for some sweet back blading abilities ;D It's actually a nice cable skidder, the only thing I don't like about it is the cab is really high, it's a big step to get in it.

barbender

treeslayer2003

you be better off, way less mess. there is way more crap to them that won't burn than ya think.
last p bone i saw was prolly in the mid 60s so that one is newer. wish all skidders had a blade like that.

coxy

all we ever do is wrap the rim with duct tap and never had any trouble in over 15 years with doing  it     barbender you have the better axle housing and planatery system with only the 3 gears mine had the 4 gears like the carry lifts the 12 hole jack,tree farmer and case rims will fit on your skidder the 12 hole rims off a 4 gear planatery from the other bones will not fit the holes are off a 1/2 a hole just thought id run that by you in case you find a jack rim and tire that has air in it  :) :)

barbender

Coxy, that is very good to know! There is a dead Jack a quarter mile down the road that has decent rubber on it ;D

BurkettvilleBob

That is a neat looking right, Detroit power? I almost bought an old mountain goat forwarder, but it had a really sad story that went with it and my girlfriend said " no way, bad juju". Just as well I guess, as I was able to use the money to purchase some adjoining property.

Ed_K

I look for wreaking bars & crow bars at the flee markets, then you don't feel bad when you grind on them or bend them
Ed K

Maine logger88

Quote from: BurkettvilleBob on September 12, 2016, 03:11:08 AM
That is a neat looking right, Detroit power? I almost bought an old mountain goat forwarder, but it had a really sad story that went with it and my girlfriend said " no way, bad juju". Just as well I guess, as I was able to use the money to purchase some adjoining property.
Was it in morrill?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

barbender

Yep. 3-53. I'd prefer 3.9, Cummins that is ;D

BurkettvilleBob

Quote from: Maine logger88 on September 12, 2016, 06:25:04 PM
Quote from: BurkettvilleBob on September 12, 2016, 03:11:08 AM
Was it in morrill?
Assuming I used the " quote" function correctly, yes Maine Logger it was in Morrill, I suspected you and possibly Snowstorm would pick up on that. I only met James once, when we went to look at that machine, but I've spoken with him several times since then, a very nice guy.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

WDH

Just trying to check on your namesake  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Maine logger88

Assuming I used the " quote" function correctly, yes Maine Logger it was in Morrill, I suspected you and possibly Snowstorm would pick up on that. I only met James once, when we went to look at that machine, but I've spoken with him several times since then, a very nice guy.

Yes James is a very nice laid back guy! His father was the same way! I'm glad you didn't buy that machine
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Thank You Sponsors!