iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vitamin D?

Started by customsawyer, September 10, 2016, 09:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I do most of my work outside and always figured that I got enough vitamin D from the sun. Well I have been dealing with some knee pain mostly from a motorcycle wreck 5 years ago. The other day I was talking with a friend and they said they were getting some joint pain relief and a boost of energy from taking vit. D. Well I started taking it a few days ago and am absolutely amazed at the pain relief I am getting. Not much in the energy department but I will take the pain relief all day long. Does any one know of any negative sides of taking the vit. D if a person is out in the sun as much as I am? 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

I take 5,000 units a day.  Vitamin D3 is linked to several beneficial things, including joint pain relief, stronger bones, and clearer skin.  Since I have an artificial hip, stronger bones and reduced joint pain are exactly what I'm looking for, and it was prescribed by my doctor.   Vitamin D3 is not exactly a vitamin, it's a kind of steroid that a body naturally produces from the sun.  However, even as much sun as I get, my blood tests indicated I needed a supplement.  D3 is naturally metabolized, and I don't know of any side effects, the body naturally flushes it out.  As I understand it, the body can also regulate the production of D3, so as supplements are taken, metabolic production drops off to achieve a reasonable balance. 
Remember, I'm not a physician, just someone who also takes D3 supplements with significant beneficial effects.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

I also take vitamin D3 in 5000 units daily. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bucknwfl

Me too I am outside all day and have to take it as well

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

OneWithWood

My concern with taking Vitamin D and being in the sun a lot is turning orange and having a sudden desire to run for President... :D :laugh:
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

GAB

Quote from: OneWithWood on September 10, 2016, 10:30:39 AM
My concern with taking Vitamin D and being in the sun a lot is turning orange and having a sudden desire to run for President... :D :laugh:

I thought you were too smart to do something like that.
Guess that's what I get for thinking.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: OneWithWood on September 10, 2016, 10:30:39 AM

I can deal with the orange. You've got my vote. Thanks for the alternative.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Onthesauk

Have been taking vitamin D for a number of years, suppose to help the immune system.  My oncologist isn't convinced but can't hurt so long as you don't take too much.  Believe I've been taking 2000MG per day, high doses are hard on kidneys.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

sandsawmill14

my doc has me on a once monthly mega dose vitamin D  i have never looked at the MG but i will when i get the next one if i dont forget :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

doctorb

I can find no medical evidence for the concern that taking too much Vitamin D makes your skin turn orange.  Now, beta carotene, as in carrots, is a different story.  Normally, I would also be concerned if OneWithWood was running for president.  Fortunately, that's also a myth.   :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

gspren

For those of us that spend a lot of time outdoors, does using a sun block hinder natural Vit D production?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Chuck White

I also, take 1000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

I take 2000 iu of Vitamin D3/day. Have been for the past few years after having it recommended by a consulting pharmacist.
~Ron

customsawyer

Thanks for all of the comments.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ed_K

I'm glad you all brought this up. Rita's been having knee pain lately from walking up and down stairs at work.She sometimes has to carry 5 gal. buckets of wax or dye for making candles. She read all your comments and went and bought some to try. Thanks, I"m hoping it will help her too.
Ed K

SwampDonkey

Quote from: customsawyer on September 10, 2016, 09:51:03 AM
I do most of my work outside and always figured that I got enough vitamin D from the sun. Well I have been dealing with some knee pain mostly from a motorcycle wreck 5 years ago. The other day I was talking with a friend and they said they were getting some joint pain relief and a boost of energy from taking vit. D. Well I started taking it a few days ago and am absolutely amazed at the pain relief I am getting. Not much in the energy department but I will take the pain relief all day long. Does any one know of any negative sides of taking the vit. D if a person is out in the sun as much as I am?
It has helped mother manage arthritis better, doesn't need Tylenol any more for arthritic pain. :) No it isn't cured, just easier to live with. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!