iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any opinions on the Granberg electric chain sharpener?

Started by ksks, September 10, 2016, 12:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Here on the Christmas tree farm we needed a way fast and easy to sharpen
our chainsaws out in the field. The best thing we found was a 12 volt Dremel.
E-bay has them. We would also buy the DIAMOND CHAINSAW SHARPENER BURR Stones.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

PineHill4488

Love, love, love mine! Somedays wonder why it took two years for me to purchase.
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

woodsdog2015

I have this one (12V) and the original Granberg Jig (manual) 106b I believe it is called.  I think they are very well made and are of higher quality than the Oregon ones you find at most hardware stores.  They are a bit pricier than  the Oregon ones as well.  Once you get the adjustments right they work quite well.  If you get the 12V model remember they rely on the clips to attach to a battery so you may want to consider also picking up a cheap converter to slide it into a 12V DC plug (cigarette lighter) which is found in /on many vehicles and atv's.  I believe I picked one up for less than $5 at a local NAPA.  Since I am strickly a firewood cutter, I haven't found the need to use this as much as I anticipated and I find myself using more the 2/1 sharpening system from STIHL especially in the woods.  Holmen Tree put me on to them and Since I have .325 and 3/8" pitch chains to sharpen, I purchased one for each.  My local stihl dealer nocked $10 off the total price when I offered to purchase two.  So I now have a medley of sharping systems at my disposal which I find the whole process very interesting.  I'm also the kind of person that delves into the craft side of things moreso than perhaps a more pragmatic person might.  One other note with the Granberg 12V, remember to get the cooling crayons with the stone grinders you to keep them cool when grinding/sharpening. They are on the Granberg site for purchase as well.  I think you will be in the game for $100 bucks or so. I am not an expert by any means but these have been my personal experiences so far.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

ksks

Thanks for the reply.

I too am only a firewood cutter so am not doing it regularly enough to get experienced with sharpening myself.  It seems this would make things easier and provide a much more consistent job.  It will be time saving over the long haul.  Last time I sharpened I thought I did well but just made dust instead of good cuts.

Think I'll pick it up.

asks
Striving to be average!

Walt

Quote from: ksks on September 11, 2016, 07:42:48 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I too am only a firewood cutter so am not doing it regularly enough to get experienced with sharpening myself.  It seems this would make things easier and provide a much more consistent job.  It will be time saving over the long haul.  Last time I sharpened I thought I did well but just made dust instead of good cuts.

Think I'll pick it up.

asks

You'll like it if you get one. Mines a 1012 I believe. I hand file till it seems pointless and then go with the Granberg. I have a Harbor Freight grinder I use to hog the cutters back if I really bugger the chain but the Granberg will sharpen it back to match a new chain and the Harbor freight won't as well. Use the coolant stick. Goes fast after a few minutes of use. I'm not one of the boys here but I have one and use it alot...Regards Walt
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

cbla

I have one and bought it for use when using the Alaskan mill with a 36in bar. Its sweet! well worth it!

Grandedog

Howdy,
   I have some stones for the Dremel, and other handheld grinders. I'm looking for people to check them out, and see what they think about them. As far as I know, nobody has killed one yet. I have them in 5/32, 3/16, and 7/32 in both coarse, and fine grit.
   The fine ones work well for normal grinding but, if you rock your chain, or your converting standard chain to ripping chain the coarse is quicker.
   First ten people to get back to me with a mailing address can have 1 stone of their choosing for free to evaluate. I would guess that a message on here would be the best but, however you want to contact me is fine.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

woodsdog2015

Nice offer.  Are the stones for the Dremmel or Grandberg?
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Grandedog

Howdy,
   Yes, I had them made with a 1/8" threaded shaft. So, they'll fit any of the screw-in types, or Dremels with 1/8" collets. These things work really well. I tried some crazy things to fail one. With this one I had ground some new teeth clean off of 27 chain with no noticeable degradation. I finally started in on some files. Now bear in mind in this photo, I kept the file on one place on the stone the best I could. I would say that these will work well for different jobs as long as the metal is hard. Otherwise they will load up.

Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212

Kbeitz

Quote from: Grandedog on September 14, 2016, 05:59:22 PM
     Howdy,
   I have some stones for the Dremel, and other handheld grinders. I'm looking for people to check them out, and see what they think about them. As far as I know, nobody has killed one yet. I have them in 5/32, 3/16, and 7/32 in both coarse, and fine grit.
   The fine ones work well for normal grinding but, if you rock your chain, or your converting standard chain to ripping chain the coarse is quicker.
   First ten people to get back to me with a mailing address can have 1 stone of their choosing for free to evaluate. I would guess that a message on here would be the best but, however you want to contact me is fine.
Regards
Gregg

So I tried them and I was very happy with them... So...
Now where can we buy them ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Grandedog

Howdy,
   Here's a link http://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/dinasaw-abn-sharpening-stones/
   The website only has UPS shipping rates available. They can be high for something small like this. If you want to give us a call on the toll free, we can save you a few bucks on shipping.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC

ksks

Thanks guys.  I did order one.  I'll be doing a lot of cutting in a couple weeks so I'll put it to the test.

ksks
Striving to be average!

ksks

In looking at the instructional videos, how do you know where to set the gadget on/above the chain?  Does it rest on the chain?

Thanks
ksks
Striving to be average!

woodsdog2015

Did you see this video from Grandberg? It should be a good starting point for you.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlosP6cPqhE
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

ksks

Thanks.

I have watched several videos but non talked about how to actually mount it, is it set on the chain, or address any angles of the mounting.

ksks
Striving to be average!

Bandmill Bandit

I used a dremel and a then a granberg and they both work ok when used properly as with most chain sharpening methods BUT I prefer the Timberline system head and shoulders above the others. Take a bit more time than electric but less time than by hand. I have not been able to achieve the same consistant results with any other system so far. New chain isnt as sharp as a timberline sharpener gets your chain.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

woodsdog2015

No, it sets "over the chain" on the bar.  It has bolts that tighten onto the bar but allow you to move the chain forward to get to each cutter.  The "jig" part of the granberg has the appropriate angles marked on it if your particular chain type requires a 20, 25, 30 or 35 degree angle.  The jig provides from 0 to 35degrees if my memory serves me correctly.  The top dial provides for the up and down movements of the grinder stone to your chain cutter, the tension dial on the front adjusts for the lateral movement of the grinder stone to your cutter.  As the cutter tooth wears down from use and sharpening, this adjustment becomes more relevant in my experience.  It is something you have to play with.  I used other jig type devices to get an idea of the depth and other settings required for the granberg.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

ksks

Thanks for the reply.
It just looks like it is possible to get it unaligned with the front or back tipped too high and change the angle of the cut.
Striving to be average!

woodsdog2015

I know what you mean but you can do that with probably most any system if you think about it.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

ksks

I used it for the first time this weekend.  I think I've got it figured out.  Was able to sharpen a chain that's still going strong after a lot of work.

There's a bit of a learning curve.  And a bit of idiot curve-like not putting it in the back position and turning it on while resting on the chain!  Scared the crap out of me.  And scraping up the top of the brace, and grinding the chain instead of the tooth.  Once I got past stupid, it seemed to work well.  I had to re-adjust it when changing to the other direction.  Not sure what I did there.

I got a 12 volt converter and it works great with the machine.  It only had a 2 amp fuse so I had to up that--after the first blew.

I'd like to try it again but the chain is still doing its thing!

ksks

Striving to be average!

woodsdog2015

Glad its working out for you.  You really can't hurt anything and you're making progress.  There are other youtube videos that can help you with the grandburg too.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Al_Smith

I've got the "Dremel" stones and what I use them for is repairing a chain if it discovers metal in a piece of wood or takes a notion to cut a rock in two .It happens .

ksks

Got to use it for a second time.  Worked well, the saw spewed out nice big chips.
It will be a time saver, and a money saver over the years.
Striving to be average!

Jesper Jepsen

I have had mine Granberg sharpener for around a year and use it mainly to sharpen my 36" rip chains for when using my Alaskan Mill.
The rip chain is a little more demanding if you want the best performance both regarding angels but especially tooth lengths. It also comes in handy when I got a couple of 36", 25" 15" chains to sharpen at the same time after a couple of days in the forest and they need to be put into the right specs after they have been hand filed.

ksks

The first two times went well, but...

The bushing that the arm slides thru on one side is off center.  Don't know if it has always been like that, just noticed it.

When I switch from one set of teeth to the opposite, I have to change the height of the cutting wheel or it will bottom out on the tooth.  So, I can't tell that I'm getting the same grind on both sides.  And it doesn't slide smoothly at all.

The last couple times certainly didn't do as well, not as sharp and didn't last long.

I'll take a pick and send it to granberg. 
Striving to be average!

Gearbox

I think the pink stone's don't hold up very well I use Oregon instead . I use the free hand Granberg . When you run a cord an hour through the BT 6870 processer you want a quick sharpen .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

ksks

I sent it  back and they called the day they got it to say they have it.  They called the next day to say they found a problem, will fix it and mail it back. 

It will be a few months before I can check it out again.

So, great service.  I assume it will work fine.

ksks
Striving to be average!

woodsdog2015

Ok well good luck and keep us posted.  Glad they are working with you on it.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

ksks

Got a box back today with a new grinder.
The note said faulty shell.  Not sure what that means, but they stood behind it and sent a new in box grinder.

ksks
Striving to be average!

woodsdog2015

MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Bandmill Bandit

I know a couple of guys that use the granberg including the local small engine dealer/shop. He sells husky gear and equipment.

They ALL say that Granberg has top notch performance and service and one guys system is at least 20 years old. He says they treat him like he bought it yesterday.

I like the job it does but just find the timber line a bit quicker in the field and for me I don't over grind with the timberline as easily.

They are both good sharpeners.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Brad_bb

I recommend the precision granberg grinder
https://granberg.com/product/g1012xt-precision-grinder-12v/

You need the fixture to assure that your grinding is consistent in height and angle from one tooth to the next.  The problem with the free hand grinders or the dremel is that while they make make the tooth sharp, inconsistent height from one tooth to the next will cause problems in cutting.  It will make it seem like your chain is dull, or it will dive to the left or right. 

Get the precision grinder above that has the adjustable fixture and you won't regret it.  Granberg's videos stink on how to set it.  Wranglerstar on youtube did a far better job of explaining.
https://youtu.be/Gzy6qYT5eg8
https://youtu.be/vbaNgDaLyEQ
https://youtu.be/-uS4_eA9zwc
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

bigcmaple

I too can vouch for the granberg as it sharpens very efficiently and quite fast. I have used many chainsaw sharpeners in the past but the Granberg is still one of my favorites for all types of saws. But it is not for everybody. Maybe you should check out these chainsaw sharpeners if gou want more variety. http://thereviewgurus.com/reviews/best-chainsaw-sharpener/

4lane

Can you use non-threaded grinding stones on the Grandberg G1012? Unsure what the collar is like to be able to use posts without a thread.

ksks

Striving to be average!

4lane

So, it's impossible to use grinding stones with non-threaded posts?

ksks

Striving to be average!

Thank You Sponsors!