iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Box beam or laminate?

Started by addysdaddy, September 07, 2016, 02:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addysdaddy

Hi folks. Just getting start d putting my sawmill shed together to get the baby out of the weather for the winter. It going to be  20 x 21 feet with room to grow. Need to have an open span on one end for the logs to come in. It's going to be 20 feet. My question is do I need to build a box beam for this distance, my neighbor says he can build it easy enough. Is it stronger or could I just laminate 2x8 hemlock to build a beam 6 x 8.  :P :P. I'm using engineered trusses with a 21 foot span. 5 x5 hemlock posts in a pole barn style.
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

Joe Hillmann

If it is on the end and running parallel to the trusses and the end truss is the same design as the rest of them then you shouldn't need anything, the end truss will act as the beam.  If the opening is perpendicular to the trusses then you would need a lot more than just a 6x8 beam.

sealark37

The store-bought solution is a laminated beam made of two members bolted and glued together.  If you want to make it yourself,  construct a wooden I-Beam.  Scarf, nail, and glue two layers of 2x6 for each of the top and bottom members.  Use 3/4" plywood for the web.  Make either a groove or nailing strips to locate the plywood web in the center of the 2x6 top and bottom members.  The plywood should be 12" to 14" wide.  Don't skimp on the glue and nails.    Regards, Clark

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What ever I "slap" together for a long span, I like to put some plywood between the header.
And sometimes I'll run an 2x4 on the top and bottom of the header.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fishfighter

One thing you need to keep in mine is what roofing and if any snow load along with pitch of the roof.

I would check with a local lumber company to see what they would use. Then I would just build a laminate beam to size and maybe bigger.

addysdaddy

It is on the end and parallel with the trusses. 4/12 pitch with a metal roof so not much worry about snow load as it comes off pretty quick. Y neighbor indicated the beam would just be more of an added support feature. To add support to the gable end truss. He indicated that a gable end truss didn't have the same support quality as a regular truss based on its construction and should have a support beam
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

sumday

If you haven't already ordered the trusses just get a regular truss for the end, not a gable truss.

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: sumday on September 07, 2016, 05:07:59 PM
If you haven't already ordered the trusses just get a regular truss for the end, not a gable truss.

Yep.  You can then scab in some 2x4 if needed to attach siding.

Woodland Mills HM130

johnnyllama

If you have already ordered or got the trusses, using one of the main trusses as a pattern, cut matching parts of all of those truss components, use some 3/4" plywood gussets or metal nail plates and "create" another truss that you can attach to the backside of the gable truss. A 20' long 6x8 won't offer much support and if it's below the truss you loose overhead clearance.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

drobertson

A little confused here, if you have engineered ones already? whats the question? Maybe I missed something?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

addysdaddy

I got the trusses second hand un used . there are 10 trusses with a 21 foot span.
2 are gable end trusses.
4 are standard trusses made with 2 x 4s
4 are standard trusses made out of 2 x 6s.
don't ask me why but they came as a set, all are the same dimension
if I understand this right I can use the 2 x 6 trusses for the ends and just mix the gable end trusses in with the rest probably put them between 2 of the 2x6 constructed trusses and things should be fine. i'll probably have the neighbor come up and put together a beam anyway... he's semi retired carpenter and I have lots of 2x4 stock and plywood kicking around. hate to have it collapse for want of a beam when all the materials are sitting in the yard anyway. thanx for the replys. 
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

69bronco

I used to have a 50' wide pole barn metal roof and sides. It had a 12 x12 door in each end, no header. The bottom chords of the trusses were 2x8. Lots of snow load, never moved. Good luck.

jwilly3879

The gable end trusses are no designed to carry a load. They are designed to sit on a wall. Ask any lumber yard that sells trusses.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: addysdaddy on September 07, 2016, 05:02:50 PM
It is on the end and parallel with the trusses. 4/12 pitch with a metal roof so not much worry about snow load as it comes off pretty quick. Y neighbor indicated the beam would just be more of an added support feature. To add support to the gable end truss. He indicated that a gable end truss didn't have the same support quality as a regular truss based on its construction and should have a support beam

If that is the case when you order the trusses tell them you want one of the end ones to be built to span 21 feet unsupported.

Thank You Sponsors!