iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In the news

Started by Den Socling, September 06, 2016, 06:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

A big ouch!

"Authorities say a 47-year-old New Hampshire man accidentally severed his foot with a chainsaw while cutting timber.

Emergency officials arrived at a home on Highland Street in Newton just before 3:30 p.m. Monday.

The man was taken to a hospital where his condition was unclear.

Authorities didn't release details on how the accident occurred."

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Chuck White

Wow!

If a reattachment works, it will be a super-long recovery!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

never cut mine all the way off but 25% of it  it will never be right my big toe has no feeling in it so I have to watch in the winter it don't get frost bite  ;D

doctorb

Chuck-

Reattachment of the lower limb in traumatic amputations like this is rarely performed, except in children.  The reasons are many. 
1.  Return of skin sensation after amputation is iffy.  Having numbness on the bottom of your foot means you are very pre-disposed to having ulcers/wounds form.  Think about it as if you had a piece of gravel in your shoe and couldn't feel it.  Eventually, you will get an open wound, which will have a very difficult time healing. 
2. The eventual ankle and foot function is marginal at best in adults after replantation.  Significant contracture of muscles and tendons can occur after repair.
3.  The function of healthy people who suffer a traumatic amputation is quite good, assuming they get a non-complicated well formed amputation.  They actually have better outcomes in most cases than those patients that drag around a dysfunctional limb that has been salvaged.
4.  Cold intolerance.  Replantation of amputated parts often leads to cold intolerance.  And even what would seem like a normal temperature for you to work in can become intolerable to the replanted part.
5.  The limb would be somewhat shorter than the other.  In upper extremity amputations, limb length is relatively meaningless as long as you get function.  In lower extremity traumatic amputation, the loss of the injured tissue and bone always leads to some shortening.  Obviously, this can be corrected with shoe lifts, etc. but it's another downside to lower extremity salvage.

I can assure you that, if I had a traumatic amputation of my foot, I would select a good below-the-knee amputation in a heartbeat.  As humans, our hands define what we do and salvaging some function in an amputated hand is better than a prosthesis.  The function of the lower extremity is to bear weight and get you from one place to the other, and a good BKA does that really well, especially in an otherwise healthy individual.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Den Socling

Golly Bobby but you are a ray of sunshine!  :D

doctorb

Den-

It's simple.....don't cut off your foot, and it's one less thing you'll have to worry about! ;D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Den Socling

And one less thing that needs fixed!  :D

sandsawmill14

my grandad cut his leg off about 1/2 way between the knee and ankle in 1970. he was getting bark or something out from around the electric motor and tripped and fell into the belts and his leg went around the pulley :o they did reattach it and he did real well with it hardly any limp but he said it hurt alot . he died in 2005 or 2006 i cant remember  :-[  BUT i know of 3 guys who have had fingers put back on and none of them kept them they had to be removed shortly after the reattachment  :-\ and a 4th guy had his thumb put back on but it pretty much just there he has very little use of it but he says it beats nothing  :)  i hope i am never in that condition but if i were i guess i would want them to try and save it but go in knowing there s at least a 50/50 chance of having to have it taken back off :-\  the main thing is for everyone to be careful  i know i am in the 20+ yr group which is where most tend to get careless  ::) i know i catch myself doing stupid stuff from time to time and dont even realize it till i have already done it  such as pulling a piece of bark out of the band guide without cutting the engine off :o >:(  i would fire an offbearer if i caught him doing that ;)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!