iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson or Lucas Slabber?

Started by bkaimwood, September 05, 2016, 07:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkaimwood

Happy Holiday, everyone!!! So I'm considering adding a dedicated slabber, and just looking for opinions, input, and or reviews from those with such. Up until recently, I have given myself the impression that they are both great mills, and pretty much the same. Costs, design, quality, and features seem as such? The only significant difference I have read recently is that Peterson spins their chains twice as fast? There's only one place I've read this, so who knows if it's true? If it is, it generally should mean it's a much faster mill. All input is appreciated. I once was going to build a wide band mill or wide slabber, but came to the point that I will never have the time to do so, and time is money. It pays much better for me to buy one and spend that time using it, making much more money than building one. I built my first band mill, a complete success, but vowed never to get into another such project. Just not good business in my business. I have 3 grand or more into a manual csm, similar to a Alaskan...I bought it a year ago and have never used it. I've come to the realization that it's too slow and inefficient, and I'm too old to be doing that, especially because I'm working alone more often than not. Thanks for all your help!!
bk

John S

I have only seen the Lucas (76") in operation and am very impressed with it.  Another one of my customers also has the same model and seems very satisfied with it.  I have turned down a few jobs because the logs were too large in diameter for my LT40.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

drobertson

You might consider contacting logboy here on the forum, I am pretty certain if anyone could give you the feedback you need, he would be the one.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fishpharmer

My Lucas 50" slabber attachment for the 6-18 Lucas Mill works very well.  Make sure you run the right slabbing chain.

@terrifictimbersllc has or had a Peterson slabber.

That's all I got.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Seaman

I run the new Lucas 5ft dedicated slabber. The chain sprocket is directly on the engine crank, so It turns the chain a good bit faster than the slabber attachment on my old Lucas 8/27, which ran thru a transition geared to turn the circle blade at a certain speed. I love the Lucas, I do not think you will beat it for the price.
The Peterson is a great mill also, I do not know if they make a dedicated slabber.

Frank 
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

scleigh

Bk , I've. Been looking at the Lucas and Peterson slabbers as well. The Peterson seems to cut faster and has a lower profile track, which could be nice if loading the log onto blocking. Biggest difference I've found is that the Peterson. Is quite a bit more expensive.

Savannahdan

I've been looking for some time.  Was trying to get a Lucas setup a fellow had in another state and couldn't get things ready before he sold it.  I may give strong consideration to a dedicated slabber.  Am waiting for Bailey's to email me the information as to purchase price and shipping.  There is a company in Utah, if I'm not mistaken, that makes a swing-saw but not sure if they have a slabber attachment or stand-along slabber.  I need something that will cut at least 72" wide.  Also, I am one of the guys that happens to like using a CSM.  Don't know if it's the noise, sawdust, having to use shims or whatever but I find that I like doing it.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Grandedog

Howdy,
   The Peterson DWS dedicated slabber uses a jack shaft assembly to increase the chain speed. We've tried to get a solid timed number on cutting speed since we had both machines available but, it's even tougher than with a chainsaw because of the variations in the wood. After all the dust settled and we averaged things out, the Peterson was never less than 50% faster. These are just cutting speeds and there are other options and upgrades to make them faster than the Lucas especially if you're working alone. If you were to go with the Winch Production Frame, all of you vertical sizing is done from the operators position of the mill. No more running back and forth between the cranks on the far ends of the tracks. There are Hi/Lo track frame options so the log can just be rolled into the mill from the side without having to move anything to do it. Then, if you want to put the cherry on top, there's an automated track system to run the mill back and forth.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: fishpharmer on September 05, 2016, 10:53:43 AM
My Lucas 50" slabber attachment for the 6-18 Lucas Mill works very well.  Make sure you run the right slabbing chain.

@terrifictimbersllc has or had a Peterson slabber.

That's all I got.
I have the slabber attachment on my 1030 Peterson swing mill.  The stock swing blade setup for 10" results in a slow chain speed for the slabber, because the speed is set for a 10" blade (26", 600 mm).  I've taken to replacing the 3-V input pulley (AX-41 belts) on the gearbox with a smaller one which runs on two AX-37 belts just fine and has a much higher speed which I haven't calculated.  Slabbing is significantly faster with this setup.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bkaimwood

bk

bkaimwood

Sorry...it didn't make it in the last post...thank you for all the input, fellas. I talked to Peterson today. IMO, it's by far a better mill. And the price reflects it...at about 75 percent more than Lucas. Not sure what to do. The burled elm slab pictured was sawn yesterday, with my current setup. Cuts nice, but all the work I thought it would be, at the rate I thought it would be...
bk

Seaman

I agree with your last statement wholeheartedly ! I do feel that the Lucas does what I need it to do, for me.
If the price was closer, I may have gone with the other.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

WDH

Pine Man,

Nice fluted logs.  Would make fantastic live edges. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

John S

I just checked out the website for Left Coast Supplies but could not find any mention of Peterson sawmills.  Two of my customers have Lucas slabbers but I have never seen one from Peterson.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

Peter

What kind of logs are those I thought maybe they were butternut?
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Grandedog

Quote from: John S on September 09, 2016, 09:45:47 AM
I just checked out the website for Left Coast Supplies but could not find any mention of Peterson sawmills.  Two of my customers have Lucas slabbers but I have never seen one from Peterson.
Howdy,
  We're the new folks in town for Peterson. EDITED BY ADMIN. We have mills stocked here in California along with a healthy 5 figure replacement parts inventory. In most cases, there'll be no more waiting, or paying for high shipping costs from New Zealand. We're doing demos, trade events, and we'll be in PA in a couple weeks.
   If anybody is interested, please contact us and we'll make sure you get the kind of information you're requesting. Currently pricing is being based on the exchange rate. Doesn't mater what kind of mill you're buying, pretty much everyone on here that's had more than one knows there's a big difference between cost and value.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Grandedog

Howdy,
   We'll be at the Mother Earth News Event at Seven Springs on the 23rd, 24th, and 25th of September.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC

Peter Drouin

Quote from: SW_IOWA_SAWYER on September 09, 2016, 09:53:27 AM
Peter

What kind of logs are those I thought maybe they were butternut?

Rock Maple.

Quote from: WDH on September 09, 2016, 07:31:20 AM
Pine Man,

Nice fluted logs.  Would make fantastic live edges. 

Maybe, Are you saying I should get a Peterson? :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

xlogger

That slabber look like it would be easier to get forklift close to remove slabs after cuts. Would 13hp be enough for wide slabs?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Okrafarmer

Quote from: xlogger on September 11, 2016, 05:11:29 AM
That slabber look like it would be easier to get forklift close to remove slabs after cuts. Would 13hp be enough for wide slabs?

Yes, considering people do it with even less-- it just would take longer than with some. I believe if you look at Turbosawmill's page a little more, they have more than one slabber option. I was only showing one. . . .

This is a non-dedicated slabber attachment for their Gladiator mill, it runs directly off the Gladiator's engine, which is much more powerful.

http://www.turbosawmillusa.com/slabbing-systems/gladiator-slabber-attachment
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

MbfVA

It's very interesting to see the comments about the swing blade mills like Peterson and Lucas, and now turbo saw. I have been looking only at band saw Mills.  I wonder a lot about one thing: with all the gizmos put on by Wood-Mizer, Norwood, et als, to make sure the log doesn't move on the band Saw Mills, log dogs/clamps and all that, what keeps the log that's being sawed by a swing blade mill from moving?  Most of the videos I have seen show the log just sitting there on a few pieces of 6 x 6 or whatever.
www.ordinary.com (really)

Ianab

Quotewhat keeps the log that's being sawed by a swing blade mill from moving?

With large logs, the weight of the log. Some wedges or "V"s cut in the bunks are enough to stop it rocking as you cut, and a big log is going to weight over a ton, so it's not going any place.

There is also the different sawing technique, where you don't usually move the log while you are cutting it. So you don't need to power log turners, clamps, tow boards etc that a fancy bank mill has. Once you get the log set up, it generally stays put.

Now if you are dealing with small logs you can set up a dog system that holds them down on the bunks. For example this is the system that Peterson supply, but the basic idea is the same with any of the mills.
http://petersonsawmills.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/EZ-DOGS-USER-GUIDE.pdf
Turbosaw's are more sophisticated (and expensive)
http://www.turbosawmillusa.com/accessories/warrior-gladiator-log-dogs

Technically there is no reason you can't build a fully featured log handling deck under the mill. But then it's not exactly portable, because the deck needs to heavy enough to support a 5ft dia log. Then you need to MOVE said log to the mill, rather than the other way around. Suddenly your 500lb portable sawmill needs a large truck to move it.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!